Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Tea ?

lmq1.jpg

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

1/1250sec, F/8.0, 340mm, ISO500, D3s, 70-200mm F/2.8 + 1.7x TC

Shame the conditions weren't a bit better. Next time however.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
This picture was very tough to get. I had to walk down about 100ft of very steep and sharp rocks - I had a few slips along the way. Definitely not a place you want to fall down.

Ireland-31 by AdamDTurner, on Flickr

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
This picture was very tough to get. I had to walk down about 100ft of very steep and sharp rocks - I had a few slips along the way. Definitely not a place you want to fall down.

[url=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7342/9622437874_366491869d_b.jpg]Image[/url]
IMG_1844 by AdamDTurner, on Flickr

I know what you mean. I was trying to get a shot in Wales the other day and ended up climbing somewhere I shouldn't have (with tripod as well!). There was nobody with me and the place was deserted. If I had fallen, I would have been there a while. Was it worth it? You decide.

Funny thing was, as I climbed back up and went back on the path, I found I could get the shot I wanted from a little further down the path!

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
This is a beautiful photo. Perfect.

I wouldn't go that far, but thanks a lot Hankster.

--------------------

Revisited the scene of last Sunday evenings shot to get what I really envisioned whilst processing it. Set it up this afternoon by moving the couch further back towards the track and returned just before sunset, getting the TV and stand in place. All these were dumped within about 20 metres of each other. I'm not sure if the glow of the TV is too strong or not though, it looks good big, but becomes a bit bolder when shrunk down here. I'm quite pleased with this one! :D

_MG_2954_zps9d9e12b9.jpg

Last edited:

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
First game on the road to a 3peat. Shut out a cross county rival 28-0 last night. 4th straight shutout dating back to the 2012 playoffs. Held Tolsia to 12 total yards last night. :D

9631760883_b0f746d38a_b.jpg

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I wouldn't go that far, but thanks a lot Hankster.

--------------------

Revisited the scene of last Sunday evenings shot to get what I really envisioned whilst processing it. Set it up this afternoon by moving the couch further back towards the track and returned just before sunset, getting the TV and stand in place. All these were dumped within about 20 metres of each other. I'm not sure if the glow of the TV is too strong or not though, it looks good big, but becomes a bit bolder when shrunk down here. I'm quite pleased with this one! :D

_MG_2954_zps9d9e12b9.jpg

Nice idea but it looks like a Photoshop brushstroke. Maybe increase the top angle so that it doesn't make a tight turn at the couch. Also might work with the blending a bit more.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Nice idea but it looks like a Photoshop brushstroke. Maybe increase the top angle so that it doesn't make a tight turn at the couch. Also might work with the blending a bit more.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions Laird Knox. I'll have to go investigate how to fake a TV glow successfully in PS, there will probably be a million tutorials online about it. I'm still not 100% with it either.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions Laird Knox. I'll have to go investigate how to fake a TV glow successfully in PS, there will probably be a million tutorials online about it. I'm still not 100% with it either.

Two things stand out to me. Softening the edge might blend the transition and give it more of a glow than a brush look.

The other is that the edge of the light emanating from the TV is basically parallel. Then the top edge makes sharp turn when it reaches the couch. I understand the effect you were going for but it still looks unnatural to me.

Perhaps you could make the light from the TV more of a cone rather than stripe. And try treating the TV rays as a separate layer from the couch glow. That might help define the shapes rather than looking like a brush stroke.

I don't know the answer but hope you might find some clues in the above. ;)

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto

I'm thinking that you wouldn't see the light travelling between the tv and the couch. You would see light reflecting off only the surfaces of the couch directly facing the TV. Might be fun to see colour and luminosity on those surfaces boosted/painted in.

...Peter

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
You would see the rays from the TV if there were atmospherics - in this case if it were particularly humid or there was some light fog.

While the glow may not be the most likely thing I do think it adds some to the shot. It just need some more finesse.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
I'm thinking that you wouldn't see the light travelling between the tv and the couch. You would see light reflecting off only the surfaces of the couch directly facing the TV. Might be fun to see colour and luminosity on those surfaces boosted/painted in.

...Peter

I initially thought the same about not seeing light between the TV and the sofa, but it didn't look right. It needed the suggestion of why it was glowing to be made pretty obvious. The initial feedback was along the lines of "is that couch radioactive?" and the like. :rolleyes:

It's a white(ish) couch and I boosted it with an overlay mask and painting it white in places to boost it's lightness a bit. I haven't played with colour on it yet. I suppose I'm stuck in the imagery of a grey/blue glow for it for some reason.

You would see the rays from the TV if there were atmospherics - in this case if it were particularly humid or there was some light fog.

While the glow may not be the most likely thing I do think it adds some to the shot. It just need some more finesse.

I will definitely try your suggestions from the post above Jeff. Finesse? Now where did I leave that sledge-hammer? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.