Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Is there any graphing app available that shows the imaginary axis along with maybe an x and y axis? I'm willing to get a Windows application, too (I have Parallels). Thank you!

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Is there any graphing app available that shows the imaginary axis along with maybe an x and y axis?

Not sure what you're looking for. In complex variables, the horizontal axis is called the real axis, and the vertical axis is the imaginary axis. So "that shows the imaginary axis along with maybe an x and y axis" doesn't make sense to me.

Let's try this. What type of function/object do you wish to graph?

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Sorry for being unclear. I would like to graph functions like x^2+x+20 to find its complex roots on a 3-D graph. Thanks.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Sorry for being unclear. I would like to graph functions like x^2+x+20 to find its complex roots on a 3-D graph. Thanks.

The graph y = x^2 + x + 20 is a curve (a parabola) in the xy-plane. The roots of x^2 + x + 20 are (-1 - i sqrt(79))/2 and (-1 + i sqrt(79))/2, which would be plotted as a pair of points in the complex plane.

So I still don't understand what you're trying to do, or how 3-D graphics would be used.

sine-nomine

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Finer stores everywhere.
I don't recall seeing any software that does this by default, but it should be possible to write a Maple program that will do just what you want. I did see a seminar back in grad school on exactly this idea - if I still have a copy of the PDF handout, I'll see if the presenter used any software that might be more what you're looking for. I'll report back tomorrow with any findings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.