Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mLogic today debuted a new lineup of mBack Zero-Footprint external hard drives designed to work in conjunction with the iMac and Apple Cinema Displays. The mBack, which comes in white and aluminum to match the design of Apple's products, mounts directly to an iMac or Apple Display stand.

The hard drive comes in 500GB, 1TB and 2TB models, uses USB 3.0, and is bus-powered so an adapter is unnecessary. It also comes equipped with a built-in cable and is Mac-formatted so it is Time Machine ready out of the box.

mback2-800x600.jpg
"mBack is the first external hard drive designed to mount directly to the stand of an iMac or Apple Display," said Roger Mabon, CEO of mLogic. "Now you can add up to 2TB of additional storage capacity to your system without cluttering up your workspace. The patent pending mBack is a simple and elegant zero-footprint storage solution that integrates seamlessly with late 2009 to current iMacs and Apple Displays."
mback3.jpg
The mBack can be purchased from the mLogic website at $100, $150, or $260 for 500GB, 1TB or 2TB, respectively.

Article Link: mLogic Debuts mBack External Hard Drive That Attaches to iMac and Apple Displays

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Wonder if there will be any resonance issues w mechanical hdds....? Would def pref a large capacity ssd in there.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
it would be great if it would have thunderbolt and an SSD or just 2,5" empty space in it :)

A team of designers and engineers worked their fingers to the bone for you, and this is how you thank them?

[adding /s after some took me too seriously]

Last edited:

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
Such an ingenious answer, would prefer thunderbolt although speed wouldn't be a huge difference and the cost would shoot up.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
And now all of Apple's iMacs and displays will have a different stand in the next generation of models.
Great idea and thank you for pushing apple to make a change!

:D

blufire95

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
Germany
A team of designers and engineers worked their fingers to the bone for you, and this is how you thank them?

It's too late for me, there are already two HDDs standing below my iMac...the only thing I need would be an SSD and this would be pointless without thunderbolt, I have only USB 2.0

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Or you could get the $30 iMac Backpack (shelf) that attaches to the back and get an SSD, or a 4 or 8TB drive, or any model and make hard drive you want, also providing the same level of hidden hard drive behind the monitor at a fraction of the cost. mLogic must be a MacRumors sponsor to have had this make the News Page

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
came in to post about velcro as well. looks like they're charging a nice premium for it.

Somebody needed to reinvent Velcro?

where are you getting velcro from? the two pieces screw onto each other thru the cable cut-out in the stand.

----------

Nice idea, but it looks like it prevents you from using the hole as a cable tidy.

how do you figure? as in the photos, your mac's cables still go thru the cut-out, but are angled downward behind the HD.

i guess if you dont want to angle your cables downward for some reason that could be a problem. but like all of life, there are tradeoffs. there is no solution that makes everyone happy.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It looks pretty hideous to me - the stand of the iMac and Thunderbolt Display looks nice and is functional. This makes the stand both hideous (it adds a tumor to it) and takes away the functionality of it decluttering your wires.

I think a nicer solution would integrate into the foot of the pedestal.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
For personal use? Stupid. Buy a TwelveSouth BackPack or get a roll of velcro.

For the education market? Awesome. Like to see a kid steal or break that external drive without someone noticing first.

where are you getting velcro from? the two pieces screw onto each other thru the cable cut-out in the stand.
... they were saying velcro is a much cheaper solution. Standard external HDD + velcro = cheaper mBack with more flexibility.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I like the idea, but do it better:

- Hang the drive BELOW the hole.

- Hand the drive INSIDE the stand. More hidden, including its cables.

My Western Digital mobile drive is the pefect size to hide that way--and comes with the perfect short USB cord. I just need a hanger for it. Wire twist ties and paperclips will do for now, but I'd pay $5 for a more elegant bracket that mounts small devices between screen and stand, elevated nicely out of sight.

Zerotolerance

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
New Hampshire
I use a Toshiba Canvio Slim aluminum drive that I stuck on the inside of the stand above the cable hole. I use some glue dots to hold it in place. It's a nice looking arrangement.

nateco

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
Thunderbolt and ssd.

There's a big market for that....only real option now is the LaCie rugged drive an its $350.

Hiding a drive...meh.

nomeelnoj

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
remember--the speed of USB 3.0 is still faster than the write speed of the drive, so thunderbolt would only add cost, and limit the imacs/displays it could connect to. This way, USB 3.0 is compatible to the USB 2 ports in the LED Cinema display and older iMacs. Come on people--be happy!

nateco

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
My Mac doesn't have USB 3.

I want a small tb ext ssd to run the os from.

A zip tie does the same thin this does and is out of the way enough to not see it.

Maybe if my imac was out I the open instead of against a wall.

This gizmo solves a problem not many people care about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.