Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
Just to throw something totally different in, I think the Haswell rMBP should be able to handle Minecraft quite well IF you're willing to run in half resolution. This requires a 3rd party app because Minecraft does not have its own internal fullscreen resolution options and OS X doesn't allow you to pick specific resolutions by default.

Setting the 13" rMBP to 1280x800 results in perfect pixel doubling, so it looks like a high quality IPS 1280x800 display (instead of the smear you often get with non-native LCD resolutions). At this resolution you'd have no issues with MC on the HD 5100. It actually runs quite well on the i7 Haswell MBA at 1440x900, but the CPU does get quite warm (95C or so), and this won't happen on the rMBP due to the massively better airflow.

The 15" should do just as well; Its half resolution is 1440x900, like the MBA, but with a more powerful iGPU (HD 5000 in the Air, HD 5100 in the 13" rMBP, HD 5200 in the 15"). The rumor at the moment is no dGPU in the 15", but I wouldn't be entirely shocked if we find that there is a dGPU option in the higher end model (though that's way out of your price range either way).

The refurbished 15" rMBP will also be fine (650m > HD 5200), but again I'd suggest half resolution. Even a desktop 680 would have trouble at full retina resolutions. Just be aware that the dGPU will eat battery extremely quickly if you're playing without power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.