Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
He is right though. Touching a screen that is vertical is pretty fatiguing. And most w8 desktops and laptops As of today aren't really bendable no?

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
I think your solution is to get a mac pro and buy a stand alone touch screen monitor (if they make one).

NOT a workable situation, OS X is not designed to work with touch screens. It's the OS that makes Touch Screens do their stuff, not the monitor !

Maybe an add on software might change this situation. I hope the hand held stuff is where touch screens stay. The keyboard is faster, much more ergonomically fit for humanoid use, has several operations that cannot be accessed from poking your finger on the screen, the female and her long fingernails are going to attack the matrices of the screen as they poke away.

As Forest Gump said "that is all I have to say about that" ! Will not even be reading this thread again. It has become yesterdays newspaper. It is much more educational for me to learn how my new adventure into the Max world can progress. I am an old PC, buff 20 some year plus, but have pissed away too many years, watching MS change and change what their OS does, and now they want me to poke screens, and spend hours looking for simple stuff that has disappeared into the new Win 8 debacle.
Choctaw

Last edited:

mr.thedaniel

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
OP should watch this!

In that video he also claims that the magic mouse is a good solution...but it is just terrible. :p

Fatigue is a huge reason why touch on a desktop is weird, but what about a desktop screen that pivots down to a comfortable angle for touch, like you'll see on the Wacom Cintiq display? I'd love an iMac with multitouch features on a mount like that.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
If this hasn't already been posted, or even if this has been posted already, here it is anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyyGnbUOM2w

Yes, I know I know, Steve isn't here anymore, but he made a good point, a point that I personally agree with.

I had not view that video before but it is right on point. The Magic Mouse and the Track Pad are perfect and serve the same purpose in a natural position. The problem with people who want touch screen is they can't think outside of their box. They are narrow minded, single focused, easily influenced by the flavor of the day.

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
I spend 8-10 hours interacting on my rMBP every day, using fingers/touch/gestures probably ~75% of total time. It's called the Magic Trackpad. Better Touch Tool extends that functionality even further.

With arms extended forward, fingers naturally point down, right where the trackpad is located. To touch the screen, I'd have to hold arm up and extend fingers straight forward. I know very few people who draw that way, it's not natural nor organic nor comfortable, whichever adjective you'd like.

Most artists I know in just about any medium draw with their hand curved downward, just like writing. Wacom knows this very well and their products are designed with that in mind.

The poor ergonomics, increased costs, etc. have all been pointed out already. Sure, MS has some slick marketing, but do they have sales to back it up? The surface is tanking badly already. HP has been making touch-screen AIOs for a while and I could be wrong, but I don't think they've broken any records either.

After the first 10 minutes of Minority Report wow factor wears off, a touch screen iMac just doesn't make any sense for several reasons.

And OP, if you've been waiting for a couple years, why haven't you bought one of these already? Cost factor?

mr.thedaniel

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
You won't find a bigger fan of the apple trackpads + better touch tool than myself, I even prefer it to a mouse for a lot of scenarios. I have always worked on a macbook pro, but also now have a surface pro that I've been playing with, as well as a crappier touch-screen laptop from toshiba.

After using devices like those for a while, I'll often find myself reaching toward the screen to scroll, or to press large buttons on website that are obviously sized to ease touch input. However, it's rare that using touch input is preferable to using the mbp trackpad, even though after some habits are formed where certain tasks make sense with touch.

I'm really interested in buying a leap motion controller connected to my mbp. There's even a better touch tools app developed for the leap motion.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
I had not view that video before but it is right on point. The Magic Mouse and the Track Pad are perfect and serve the same purpose in a natural position. The problem with people who want touch screen is they can't think outside of their box. They are narrow minded, single focused, easily influenced by the flavor of the day.

Exactly.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Something like the new HP all-in-one: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/5/4696576/hp-envy-23-envy-27-recline

Once you have a setup like this, touch on a desktop could be interesting. Or at least not a terrible idea. Especially if you set up Better Touch Tool-like gestures

Looks like a bulky tablet, one too heavy to use while you're holding it, it needs to be sitting on a surface . . . . unless you're Hulk Hogan and doing curls with one arm while using the other arm to touch the screen.

Poor Microsoft, run over while sleeping in the middle of the road.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Hard to understand why this thread has not been closed. It has been beat to death and nothing has been accomplish aside that APPLE big thinkers might be influenced with the idea of touch screens on a desktop. I sure hope not....I would be looking for a 3rd type of regular computer screen with a key board.

But maybe in times to come they will have a computer for all of us that you just talk to and make things happen. It is already available in some software options. Wow, just say computer get my email, read it, answer it, and now I don't have a internet life taking up my time anymore.

Okulluk

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2013
Hello everybody,
the current situation is:
any pc + any graphic tablet= the sufficient environment for any artist
any ipad or tablet= just doodleable, but when it comes to real work you go back to your pc+graphictablet
Well, I, too, support the idea that my pc should provide me with the environment to draw etc. with pressure sensitivity. I mean I shouldn't need to go to another company to be able to draw with decent pressure sensitivity. I hope this news in the following link includes pressure sensitivity too: http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...-3d-trackpad-mysterious-icon-design-more.html

This is another approach that can be helpful while thinking about this problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDAw7vW7H0c

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.