Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following its distribution of media invitations for its September 10 iPhone event yesterday, Apple sent out a second batch of invitations to members of the Chinese media for a separate event in Beijing, according to Sina [Google Translate]. The design of the invitation matches that of the one sent out for Apple's Cupertino event, although it is unclear whether the Beijing event will cover separate China-specific announcements such as a rumored China Mobile deal or if it will simply be a recap of Cupertino event. The Beijing event takes place at 10:00 AM local time, nine hours after Apple's Cupertino event begins.

apple_chinese_media_event.jpg
Apple's Cupertino event is expected to see that launch of a new flagship iPhone 5S and a lower-cost iPhone 5C that will have internal components similar to the iPhone 5 encased in new colored plastic shells. In a report last month, the iPhone 5C was projected to give Apple a "huge boost" in China, with its lower cost making it an attractive choice for the market.

A potential deal between Apple and China Mobile has reportedly been in the works for some time, with Apple CEO Tim Cook and China Mobile CEO Xi Guohua reportedly meeting in July to discuss the matter. Last month, Mr. Xi told Reuters that "both sides sounded keen" during recent talks, adding that he was optimistic about a potential deal.

Additionally, a report from late last month claimed that the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C will launch in China on November 28, more than two months later than the expected launch of the phones in the first wave of markets. The delay would be due to the verification process by China's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology that all new devices must go through.

Update: AllThingsD reports that the Beijing event is simply one of three satellite gatherings related to the main event in Cupertino, with other gatherings taking place in Berlin and Tokyo. The Beijing event will presumably occur nine hours after the Cupertino event to offer a more reasonably timed alternative to the live event, which will take place at 1:00 AM Beijing time.
These satellite launches will be held in Berlin, Tokyo and Beijing, and will feature a video stream or replay of the Cupertino event along with some other content. They're not an entirely new occurrence; Apple has done them before in London and Tokyo. That said, this is the first time the company has ever held a satellite launch event in China, one of its most important markets.

Article Link: Apple Issues Invitations for September 11 Beijing Media Event as China Mobile Speculation Heightens [Updated]

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I like the way they copied their own invite design, wonder if it's a tongue-in-cheek way to thank China for all their Apple product knockoffs? :p

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Stock is up $13 pre market. Wonder if Wall Street expects Chna Mobile deal?

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Estabon

Maybe when you put all the invites together, it'll make an animation! ;)

I hope its an animation of the last episode of Mysterious Cities of Gold, because I missed the last episode when I was a kid and this would be the perfect opportunity to catch up by flicking through the invites.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
So this must be what Cook and Icahn discussed that made Icahn so confident.

Also, I'm curious who will deliver the keynote. Will it be someone from Cupertino or a president of Apple China?

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
What would be the difference between a China headset and a US one?

Didn't they do a variation of the iPhone 4 in China?
In China they use a different kind of network, TD-SCDMA 3G/TD-LTE in stead of FDD-LTE used elsewhere. So yeah, they need to use a different chip in order to make sure the iPhone works on China Mobile (which is just one provider, other providers are using the same standards as the rest of world if I'm not mistaken).

China Mobile however is the largest in China and has over 700 million customers, which is a huge market for Apple. So this is a very big deal.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Maybe the iPhone 5C is for certain markets only.

"C" as in China?
No, cannibalization of the high-end model by low-end models (iPhone 4 vs. iPhone 5) is a worldwide trend. Even in the US the iPhone 4 is still very popular, much more popular than the 3GS ever was in its hay days.

----------

Champagne-colored iPhone exclusivity
Why does everyone assume that Apple wants to keep stuff exclusive for China? That makes no sense at all.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
Why does everyone assume that Apple wants to keep stuff exclusive for China? That makes no sense at all.

Was playing around so no need to get pent-up :p. Why so serious?

But its no secret that the huge Chinese market is what drove Apple to have this color in the first place. And now the Chinese is having a separate event a few hours after the US one.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
But its no secret that the huge Chinese market is what drove Apple to have this color in the first place. And now the Chinese is having a separate event a few hours after the US one.
Is it? I think there are lots of other reasons that have nothing to do with China that would have lead to Apple making a coloured iPhone.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Was playing around so no need to get pent-up :p. Why so serious?

I doubt Apple is holding a special Chinese event to announce a champagne colored phone. Most likely this is to announce a China Mibile deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.