Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mighty Anderson

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Once you boot into internet recovery and you can't see your SSD, you probably have had a SSD failure.
Let me guess... you have a 64gb or 128gb SSD model?
Unfortunately, according to my informal searching here, it seems to be too common for 2012 MBA that have the Toshiba/Sandforce SSD drives to have a premature failure.

See this thread here where several others also have had SSD failures and so far all have been 2012 64gb/128gb Toshiba/Sandforce drives. Really hope Apple is keeping count of these failures and will do 'goodwill' out of warranty repairs as the failure rate (yes, it's anecdotal) seems to be too high for these drives.

I think it is a compatibility issue between the SSD maker & the apple. The same SSDs are being used with other hardware manufacturers & they are functioning fine. May be apple has to relook at sandforce integration info shared by them & restructure their piece of hardware. Apart from this chance, I do not see any other reason for the failure rate being high.

peterson12

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
did the toshiba drives use sandforce controllers? if so colour me not surprised at all

ah yes anandtech states The Toshiba drives use a rebranded SandForce SF-2200 controller sandforce is terrible. now I must check to see if my sandisk ssd uses sandforce also in my 2013 model

I think what has gone wrong here is-some sort of compatibility between the major heads. This is because, the same sandforce SSDs are being used with other hardware manufacturers & they are functioning decent. Apart from this possibility, I right now cannot speculate anything else.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I think what has gone wrong here is-some sort of compatibility between the major heads. This is because, the same sandforce SSDs are being used with other hardware manufacturers & they are functioning decent. Apart from this possibility, I right now cannot speculate anything else.

No idea but I had the very same issue in one week with the initial OWC sandforce based SSD. Got a replacement and 3 weeks later the same thing happened again. Never will I buy another sandforce SSD. I have read that my sandisk ssd uses a Marvell controller so hopefully that is more reliable (couldn't be less imo)

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008

If it was a compatibility issue, these ssds wouldn't even work. There's a reason why Intel had to develop a custom firmware for their sandforce based ssds as they were not too pleased with the reliability of stock sandforce firmware and provisioning.

Edmilan

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
Just got back my MBA after repair, SSD got replaced. Is there a way to know what SSD/controller they replaced it with? Like maybe a command or app or something? I want to know if it got replaced with another Toshiba/Sandforce

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Just got back my MBA after repair, SSD got replaced. Is there a way to know what SSD/controller they replaced it with? Like maybe a command or app or something? I want to know if it got replaced with another Toshiba/Sandforce

This link should help.
http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/21/determine-manufacturer-of-mac-ssd/

----------

Apple just got back to me. They agreed to fix my MacBook for free! Saved me £400.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008

Most likely you got another Toshiba. 2012 64gb/128gb Samsung SSD drives were rarer than Hen's teeth or were never made at all.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

Yes! Look at System Information, under Storage - If the entry for APPLE SSD is followed by SM, then it's the Samsung, if it's followed by TS then it's the Toshiba, if it's followed by SD then it's a SanDisk.

Lou

jeremyisweary

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2010
Dallas, TX
I have the same dilemma as well. Woke up Friday morning before work, and received the gray screen with the blinking question mark folder also. Went to the Apple Store today, and after they ran a few tests, I was told that my SSD hard drive had gone bad and it would require replacing. I got it in July 2012.

Now, I'm trying to decide whether to get a new machine or simply get it replaced. Obviously paying $300 is cheaper than getting a new machine (my new machine would be a MBP), but I'm not sure I trust MBA + SSD anymore.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I have the same dilemma as well. Woke up Friday morning before work, and received the gray screen with the blinking question mark folder also. Went to the Apple Store today, and after they ran a few tests, I was told that my SSD hard drive had gone bad and it would require replacing. I got it in July 2012.

Now, I'm trying to decide whether to get a new machine or simply get it replaced. Obviously paying $300 is cheaper than getting a new machine (my new machine would be a MBP), but I'm not sure I trust MBA + SSD anymore.

I assume you have a 128gb model also? This is becoming worse. Apple needs to do the right thing and replace them with anything that doesn't have a sandforce controller in them.

peterson12

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
No idea but I had the very same issue in one week with the initial OWC sandforce based SSD. Got a replacement and 3 weeks later the same thing happened again. Never will I buy another sandforce SSD. I have read that my sandisk ssd uses a Marvell controller so hopefully that is more reliable (couldn't be less imo)

Well, can you please share the link of the info from where you have gained this knowledge? To me, this does not appear to be true. In few instances your version of the story might work, but surely not in all cases. I believe it was just a minor firmware issue sandforce SSDs earlier had which has been completely cured with the new firmwares released by sandforce.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Well, can you please share the link of the info from where you have gained this knowledge? To me, this does not appear to be true. In few instances your version of the story might work, but surely not in all cases. I believe it was just a minor firmware issue sandforce SSDs earlier had which has been completely cured with the new firmwares released by sandforce.

I had it personally happen to me twice, there are three posts on this forum right now with the same thing happening to others, all users with toshiba ssds that have sandforce controllers. Sure 3 isn't a lot, perhaps the firmware has helped a bit however these drives are flawed and the issue will crop up more and more especially as many 2012 models will be running out of warranty in the near future

CAPkuang

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
So I went to the Apple store today to figure out my dead SSD dilemma as seen in my thread and they gave me a quote of 280 dollars to fix it. My question is, is it worth it because they will be replacing my dead SSD with a refurbished one and it will be up to lady luck again if I get a Toshiba or Samsung SSD. After going through this ordeal, I don't want to go through losing all my data especially since I'll be going to college this fall.

Thoughts?

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
hey I have the same problem, so what did you end up doing?

I called up Apple to see what they could do, whether they could offer a discount or see this as a one time repair as I too purchased my laptop in July 2012. After a few days, they agreed to repair it for me free of charge. :) However, if they hadn't agreed to fix it, I think I would have purchased another laptop as it's more than half the price of a new laptop. Looking forward to hear from you guys about your situation .

peterson12

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
I had it personally happen to me twice, there are three posts on this forum right now with the same thing happening to others, all users with toshiba ssds that have sandforce controllers. Sure 3 isn't a lot,

As a tech friend, I can say it is really unfortunate that you faced this issue. However, from the knowledge I have I can surely say the latest firmware surely has addressed this issue & moreover both apple & SF firms are focused on the quality revolution & they will surely hold on to it.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I just received back my laptop after a month. Still got a Toshiba SSD :/ . Hope it doesn't happen again.

Trunks87

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
As a tech friend, I can say it is really unfortunate that you faced this issue. However, from the knowledge I have I can surely say the latest firmware surely has addressed this issue & moreover both apple & SF firms are focused on the quality revolution & they will surely hold on to it.

I also have a bad SSD shared on a different thread. Just wanted to respond even though this statement was directed at someone else and say I've been on-top of all updates ensuring they're installed ASAP. My firmware if it broke the system, wasn't because it was 'old' at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.