Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
"Blasphemy!" There I got that out of the way for anyone...

I currently have an iPhone 5 and with my family plan for my wife and I our bill is about $160 through AT&T. I have the unlimited data grandfathered and we never ever come close to our limit on minutes so I'm looking at jumping ship to save some money these days. My wife has because her Android recently met its maker and in a hurry she just got an AT&T goPhone.

I know there must be some of you out there in the community that have flip phones still or recently changed and so im asking what Flip Phones out there are the best?
Im looking for a few key things...
Slim, nothing that will fill my pocket
sturdy AKA not going to break, I'm a Marine and my previous 3Gs took a hell of a beating and I think the 5 may be too high class for my lifestyle.
lastly built with some semblance of quality in mind, hence why I'm asking on this forum. Apple people tend to pay for quality.

Thanks for the help, Oh, and unlocked/international is also a big want

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Samsung just announced the Hennessy, a dual screen Android flip phone, however it may not be what you're after:

samsung-hennessy.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/14/samsung-hennessy-official-dual-screen-flip-phone/

CNet did a good article not so long ago on the best flip phones: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6452_7-57492509/flip-phones-to-flip-for-roundup/

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Samsung just announced the Hennessy, a dual screen Android flip phone, however it may not be what you're after:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/14/samsung-hennessy-official-dual-screen-flip-phone/

CNet did a good article not so long ago on the best flip phones: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6452_7-57492509/flip-phones-to-flip-for-roundup/

I think I have seen this one however I'm looking to get away from the data aspect and back to something I don't have to worry about scratching up. I found one that I really like but its CDMA only, it's the Convoy 3. It looks rugged but not in a ugly brick way, its a simple tough phone. I Am also looking at the Samsung C414 and the Casio Ravine 2 but I don't really like the look of the Ravine.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
The original Convoy was a fantastic flip phone. The Convoy 2 was so-so. The 3 I've yet to see, so I have no experience with it. The Ravine 2 is so-so, but a must if you need a waterproof device. Be careful though, the thin plastic sealing the charging port is very weak and when it breaks the phone is no longer waterproof. Really for the cost, get something like the Gusto 2. It's cheap and replaceable, because its so cheap. No bells, no whistles, and the unsubsidized price keeps it within reach if something does break it, without insurance. If all you want is to talk, I'd highly recommend it.

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
The original Convoy was a fantastic flip phone. The Convoy 2 was so-so. The 3 I've yet to see, so I have no experience with it. The Ravine 2 is so-so, but a must if you need a waterproof device. Be careful though, the thin plastic sealing the charging port is very weak and when it breaks the phone is no longer waterproof. Really for the cost, get something like the Gusto 2. It's cheap and replaceable, because its so cheap. No bells, no whistles, and the unsubsidized price keeps it within reach if something does break it, without insurance. If all you want is to talk, I'd highly recommend it.

Thanks for the advice. What carrier do you use? I have AT&T right now but T-Moblie has great prices comparatively, I just don't know about their service. I saw the T768 on their website and from what I read its fairly nice for the price.

P.S. This isn't a monumental decision but I am deployed and have time to look around.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Thanks for the advice. What carrier do you use? I have AT&T right now but T-Moblie has great prices comparatively, I just don't know about their service. I saw the T768 on their website and from what I read its fairly nice for the price.

P.S. This isn't a monumental decision but I am deployed and have time to look around.

I use Verizon. Not sure what the other guys flip phones are like. Haven't seen that T768, either. Good luck with your purchase. Luckily with a flip phone, you should get a good one, regardless.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
"Blasphemy!" There I got that out of the way for anyone...

I currently have an iPhone 5 and with my family plan for my wife and I our bill is about $160 through AT&T. I have the unlimited data grandfathered and we never ever come close to our limit on minutes so I'm looking at jumping ship to save some money these days. My wife has because her Android recently met its maker and in a hurry she just got an AT&T goPhone.

I know there must be some of you out there in the community that have flip phones still or recently changed and so im asking what Flip Phones out there are the best?
Im looking for a few key things...
Slim, nothing that will fill my pocket
sturdy AKA not going to break, I'm a Marine and my previous 3Gs took a hell of a beating and I think the 5 may be too high class for my lifestyle.
lastly built with some semblance of quality in mind, hence why I'm asking on this forum. Apple people tend to pay for quality.

Thanks for the help, Oh, and unlocked/international is also a big want

If it doesn't have to be a smart phone, I recommend the original Motorola Razr. I got mine on Amazon and have been very happy with it.

images

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.