Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
I saw 17 and my heart started racing - i thought they were bringing back my beloved 17" MacBook Pro.

Stack Overflow

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
Speculation of a direct corelation between screen size and power draw makes very little sense.

Although the 13" rumor could be true, in all likelihood the adaptor has been beefed up to perhaps decrease charging times on the newer ipads (including the fabled ipad mini retina).
The correlation is between battery size and power draw. The secondary correlation is between screen size and battery size. Combine them and you have a correlation (though not as direct) between power draw and screen size.

The catch here is that the single most important predictor in general power requirements of all iOS devices is the screen (primarily size, secondarily resolution).

To say it makes "very little sense" is extremely ignorant, as, of all possible things to speculate on, it's the single most logical aspect of an iOS device to consider.

----------

AppleTV's ship with power adapters now?

Go home MacRumors, you are drunk.

Yes, and it's internal.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
The correlation is between battery size and power draw. The secondary correlation is between screen size and battery size. Combine them and you have a correlation (though not as direct) between power draw and screen size.

The catch here is that the single most important predictor in general power requirements of all iOS devices is the screen (primarily size, secondarily resolution).

To say it makes "very little sense" is extremely ignorant, as, of all possible things to speculate on, it's the single most logical aspect of an iOS device to consider.

Extremely well informed perspective. Although charge rate is still a valued concern when it comes to these devices, complicating it a bit.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Notice it doesn't go the other way though - the 5W adapter is not listed as compatible with the iPad, even though it can still charge it, albeit at a slower rate. Thanks for the correction on 12W adapter though.

It isn't listed as compatible because if it was, people would complain that it charges so slowly. But that's why you have standards - there is a USB standard for chargers, and any charger that conforms with the USB standard will charge any device that can be charged through USB. Eventually.

And I guarantee you they would use that as an excuse to void the warranty if they could. Even though an iPad adapter also works for an iPhone and vice versa, it's still technically warranty voiding use of the product. Apple quickly blamed a third party power adapter in the iPhone electrocution case. We may not care about pin/plug compatibility, but they do, and that's why everything has a rating, even a cable.

The problem wasn't that it was a third party adapter. There are plenty of good quality third party adapters. The problem was that it was a badly built adapter. A power adapter is plugged into 220 Volt, so it's obvious that a badly designed, badly built, or damaged power adapter could kill you. I didn't actually see Apple blaming anywhere, but whoever examined the circumstances of the death looked at the adapter and spotted that it wasn't an original Apple adapter.

Using a correctly working power adapter doesn't void the warranty. If a correctly working power adapter that conforms to the USB standard damaged your iDevice, then that would be Apple's fault (note the "correctly working").

Last edited:

Stack Overflow

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
Notice it doesn't go the other way though - the 5W adapter is not listed as compatible with the iPad, even though it can still charge it, albeit at a slower rate. Thanks for the correction on 12W adapter though.

That's because the rate is so incredibly slow that Apple doesn't want people to even try it, simply to both avoid complaints and to avoid presenting a bad experience to the user (two sides of the same coin).

Stack Overflow

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
Extremely well informed perspective. Although charge rate is still a valued concern when it comes to these devices, complicating it a bit.

That's correct, but the current charge rates are generally considered quite adequate, so it's presently a second order variable compared with the screen.

There are also two issues (maybe three) that actually provide downward pressure on the rate of power provided by the power supplies.

They are:

1. Adaptor size.
  2. Battery capacity.
  3. (possibly) Safety concerns.

Adaptor size should be self-explanatory, but Apple does like to make things less annoying to the user, and bulky adaptors are more annoying.

Battery capacity is something that not everyone is aware of, but there's a well-studied dynamic where the faster you charge a Lithium-based batteries, the more it is damaged, leading to decreased battery longevity. I recall that the basic tradeoff occurs around 1-2 hours for a full charge (so, whatever the watt-hour the battery has, charging it beyond 0.5-1.0 of that wattage will begin to significantly adversely affect the battery itself).

Currently, the iPad is at almost exactly 0.5, which is perfect for preserving the battery, while still maintaining a healthy battery for a reasonable lifespan.

Going from 12W to 17W is still within that range, but I'm not sure that that's something Apple wants to cross into without some other reason. Specifically, a larger battery. But that's really just speculation. It could even be simply to make a charger that can charge and power the iPad at the same time.

But, historically, the charger has scaled in power with relation to the size of the battery.

And safety concerns is something I'm not very certain of, but heat and current are two factors to consider, though at 5V, I don't think current matters much.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
13" becomes the 'work' iPad and also Artist tablet
10" becomes the 'home' iPad and consumption device
7" becomes the 'mobile' iPad for everyday commuters.

----------

Could also possibly be the remote for the Apple TV.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Gosh.... if this comes true it would have to be mega-oriented to business. Nobody is gonna want to lug this thing around for angry-birds.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
That's because the rate is so incredibly slow that Apple doesn't want people to even try it, simply to both avoid complaints and to avoid presenting a bad experience to the user (two sides of the same coin).

No kidding, even using the 10W adapter from the iPad 1 to charge a current iPad is noticeable.

Poke4Fun

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
oh wow.. that's huge. i don't think i will like a 13 inch iPad. it might be ideal for designers, though.

ownamac

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I would enjoy using a 13" iPad as a second monitor to my MacBook Pro 13 (via Air Display app).

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I’m really looking forward to the much-rumoured larger iPad from Apple.

I’d like it to be approximately 50" in diagonal width and come with a stand so that I could sit it in the corner of my living room, plug it into the wall and watch TV/movies or play games on it.

And if they could maybe create some kind of wristwear that I could control it with that would be even better.

Wait a second… how about something more portable, so others could use it. Maybe a 4-inch screen. And with a built-in phone.

Within 6 months of buying one, 13” iPad owners would look like this:

Attachments

• popeye.jpg
    popeye.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 81

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
But if Apple is making a new low volume Mac Pro then anything is possible these days. Pros can't say they are being abandoned. that's for sure.

Big difference. The Mac Pro is an existing niche product in an established line. And no one pays attention to it, especially to its sales figures. But if it didn’t already exist there isn’t a chance in hell they’d introduce it.

A new and unsuccessful addition to the iPad line would be a PR disaster for the company.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
I feel that the reason for a so called 13-inch iPad would be for those people who truly want to drop a laptop altogether and just have an iPad or other tablet, but don't want to sacrifice screen size.

and do what on it? play angry birds and check facebook on it all day long?
You people need to start realizing that iPad is FAR FAR away from replacing notebooks or computers. Yes, its great for watching videos and its fun to play those little basic games on it, and maybe read a book once in a while, but when it comes to a liiiittlle more serious work, it fails completely.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
The main question is whether they increase screen real estate. I feel like they have to. Otherwise apps will operate in the exact same way as they do on the 9.7" iPad (Which is not bad, for the 9.7" iPad.) On a 13" I think you would feel a bit constrained with the current setup.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
A 13" is coming and yes, this is the new power supply for it.
No, it won't be an iPad.
Yes, it will be similar to the iPad in form but it won't be running iOS (as we now know it).
No, it won't be OS X either (as we now know it).
This is the next game changer from Apple that will essentially make the laptop a thing of the past.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
hmmm

If this larger iPad becomes a reality, has a retina screen, long battery life and is not very heavy, perhaps I would consider it for creation content.

The more I think about it, the more it might work for me - it all depends on the above factors and the price. As it stands the regular iPad maxed out is close to the cost of an entry level MBA now so...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.