Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Devlin234

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
do you guys think that the ipad 5 will have a fingerprint scanner or is it not pratical? (assuming the iphone 5S will have one) im just excited about the ipad 5 here:D and i havent seen any threads discussing this. so, what do you guys think?

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
I think it's a terrible add-on to a personal entertainment device (phone or tablet)..

If I want access to the Collider at CERN, sure, I'm happy to have my eyes and fingerprints scanned to gain access.

To get into a tablet, phone or computer at home, or anywhere for that matter, when you can just swipe a pattern or enter a pin/password? Not even sort of..

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
I think it's a great idea to (1) support multi-user functionality, including end-user customization and parental controls, (2) provide parents more control over purchases on their iTunes account, (3) improve corporate security, and (4) simplify password entry for applications and web sites.

Wirh multi-user functionality, each user would potentially have their own profile tied to a scan of their fingerprint. Each user would be able to customize the device with their own background, icon layout, etc. In settings, the master user could designate which users (=fingerprints) have access to which apps, and users would only see their authorized apps. The feature could also be used in combination with parental controls; the master user could enable parental controls (limits on usage per day, permitted time of day, filters for questionable content, etc.) for other users.

Motherload0211

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
I can almost bet it will. Great idea for those that do not like a passcode each time one logs onto the pad and other sites that need a passcode

AppleDavie

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
Palmdale, Ca
iPad 5 to have new fingerprint sensor?

Hey everyone, I just was curious if anyone thought that maybe apple would include the new fingerprint sensor on the upcoming iPad 5. That would be awesome to see, plus hopefully the new iPad will get a better camera and perhaps a dual flash like iPhone 5s did.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I'd rather see a 32gb starting point at $499, but will end up getting a 64gb regardless :/

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
I hope the iPad 5 does have a finger sensor, but I doubt it. The cut out for the home button on the iPad 5 front is exactly the same size as it was with the previous generation iPads. Maybe I'm wrong and the ring along with the home button can still fit in the same sized cut out.

AppleDavie

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
Palmdale, Ca
Well hopefully it will be included. That'd be awesome. Plus that new fast A7 64 bit processor will be tight! I wonder if apple will bump up the price though? I'd really like to see an 8 megapixel camera on iPad 5 with all those new fancy features the iPhone 5s has.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
I guess not.

Why? iPhones are made for quick-checking all the day, you have an iPhone always with you. iPads tend to be used much longer once you hold them in your hands, plus iPads tend to be shared among family members. Wouldn't make much sense in my book. How many iPads are secured by passcode, anyway?

That said, maybe iPad mini gets one because of the portability.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
That would be awesome and I'm definitely hoping that too. That would also differentiate between the iPad and iPad mini if the new mini does get a Retina display :)

Fingers crossed!! :D

AppleDavie

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
Palmdale, Ca
I think they should include it to help secure iPads. Plus to keep some things private from other family members. Tons of iPads get stolen so it will make it hard for the thief to use or sell the iPad. Here's to hoping for iPad with Touch ID in the new Gold/Champagne color.
Please Apple, make it happen!

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
My guess Apple will have it on the iPad 5. It goes outside like the iPhone 5S and we need additional and easy security as well, and this just seems logical.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
It better. Only way it'll be a day one sale for me.

Otherwise waiting. While I would like to unify to the Lightning connector. A new CPU and skinner harder to hold sides don't sell me over my iPad 3.

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
If it works as advertised without false reads (ie: please try again), then it would be silly not to have it on the iPad as well. Personally, I find PIN codes annoying to deal with, but use them because I don't want anyone else using my device without my permission.

I'm definitely buying a new iPad once they come out, so having it would definitely be a perk to sweeten the deal.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Hope so more for the future of on-line shopping and banking. This will be done more and more on pads and phones. It is just the start to something great I think.

I detest passwords and the effort they take to set and access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.