Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a fairly solid track record in predicting Apple's product plans, has issued a new research report outlining his expectations for Apple's iPad and iPad mini lineup through the end of 2013 and into 2014. In line with some of his previous predictions and claims from other sources, Apple is planning to release both a fifth-generation iPad and a second-generation iPad mini before the end of this year.

Kuo believes that both devices will run on a new A7X chip, with the new iPad mini seeing a significant processor upgrade from the A5 found in the current model to help support a Retina display in the forthcoming model. For both the new iPad and iPad mini models, Kuo sees component shipments ramping up through the end of this quarter, with mass production gearing up in the fourth quarter of the year, in line with previous expectations for a fall launch.

kuo_sep13_ipad_shipments.jpg

Kuo believes that Apple had initially intended to launch the Retina iPad mini in early 2014, but that the company has accelerated development in part to remain competitive with other small high-resolution tablets hitting the market.
Since iPad mini 2 will feature better resolution with retina display, we think its AP will have the same grade as iPad 5 - the A7X.

But we now believe that iPad mini 2 may be pulled in for launching in late 2013. Since other brand vendors are all expected to have a line-up of new high resolution 7-8" tablets to launch over the next 3-6 months, we think iPad mini 2 may lose its opportunity in the market if it is slated for introduction next year.

Despite minimal form factor differentiation and unchanged casing colors, we think the retina display will still boost iPad mini 2's attractiveness. Although the model's availability is small due to production issues, if iPad mini 2 gets an introduction and launch this year, it should be able to impact consumers and freeze their budget for other brand vendors' tablets.
Aside from the new Retina iPad mini, Kuo also believes that Apple is working another new iPad mini model for launch in early 2014. That model would still be an upgrade over the current model, but would be based on an A6 chip and carry a non-Retina display, allowing Apple to offer a lower-priced iPad mini line.

As for the full-size iPad, Kuo notes that Apple will experience manufacturing challenges with the smaller form factor, although it does appear that the device will be ready for a launch in the final quarter of this year. Kuo also claims that, as has been rumored for Apple's upcoming iPhone models, the new iPad will support TDD-LTE technology, allowing the device to be compatible with China Mobile's network.

Apple is holding a media event next Tuesday, but that event is expected to focus on the iPhone and iOS 7, with iPad and other hardware updates appearing at a later time.

Article Link: A7X-Based iPad and iPad Mini Expected to Launch in 4Q 2013, Lower-Cost A6 iPad Mini to Follow in 2014

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I doubt Apple will offer a lower-cost iPad mini with an A6 processor. I would expect them to offer a retina iPad mini with the A6X processor and drop the price of the current iPad mini. Just as they did with the iPad 2.

Erphern

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
UK
"KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a fairly solid track record in predicting Apple's product plans"

How about no.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Lmao you'd think Apple would want to put Retina displays in all of their iOS products... Why would they release any future iPads/iPhones/iPod touches without Retina?....

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
if the A7X ipad 5 will be thinner, lighter and smaller, I don't care about the retina mini. will definitely upgrade to the 5.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I've been thinking that the iPad Mini 2 would have a retina screen, and at best an A6X chip priced at $329 or maybe even up it a little to $349. Then keep the current Mini but priced at $229.

I would be very surprised if the Mini ever gets the same chip as the top-of-the-line full-sized iPad. We'd be lucky if the new iPad Mini doesn't have that terrible A5X chip from the short lived 3rd gen iPad that could barely run that retina display properly.

For the sake of argument, let's say they both get the A7. The mini won't get the A7X. I could MAYBE see the Mini with a dual-core A7 and the full-size with an A7X quad-core. There has to be a speed difference, RAM or something to set them apart besides size. Shoving all the same parts into a SMALLER space won't shave off $170.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So this guy just sticks his finger in the wind and then when rumors (WSJ, Bloomberg) appear to prove him wrong he claims Apple changed their plans rather than is guesses were wrong. :rolleyes:

If we're to believe him, Apple had no plans to release a retina mini this year but within the past month or two (or since his last prediction) did an 180 and are now going to release one? What??

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
so basically the iPad 5 will come in two sizes, and with otherwise identical specs...
So now why would anyone pay $150 more for 1 extra inch of screen space??
I smell a massive price increase in the ipad mini2....or a price cut in the big size ipad.

----------

So this guy just sticks his finger in the wind and then when rumors (WSJ, Bloomberg) appear to prove him wrong he claims Apple changed their plans rather than is guesses were wrong. :rolleyes:

If we're to believe him, Apple had no plans to release a retina mini this year but within the past month or two (or since his last prediction) did an 180 and are now going to release one? What??

i believe if you look at his past track record, hes been very accurate.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
I for one really like the summaries of Kuo's reports. He nailed the iPhone 5S and redesigned iPhone 5 (5C) wayyyy before anyone.

Oh and the dual flash, and Gold option, and storage bump, and...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
so basically the iPad 5 will come in two sizes, and with otherwise identical specs...
I smell a massive price increase in the ipad mini2....or a price cut in the big size ipad.

----------

i believe if you look at his past track record, hes been very accurate.

Really? And accurate on stuff that most people wouldn't have predicted?

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Why wouldn't Apple just whack the A6X in the mini from the start instead of doing one with an A7 class and then go back to A6X?
Differentiate from its highest performance big brother, and further amortise the development cost of the A6X for another 12 months.

Edge: although I guess that a special edition A7X mini with 128GB as a flagship, mindshare model, with commensurate excessive price is always an option.

uhhhh no.

First of all it's 2 inches (diagonally) but there is a significant difference area-wise. This will be immediately apparent to anyone looking at both. Plus there will always be a weight different between the products. I also don't think the iPad 5 is rumored to be quite as thin as the mini.

I honestly don't see Apple significantly changing their pricing scheme. Maybe the mini will go from $329 to $349 but that's it.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Can Macrumors stop with this incessant pandering to Ming Chi Kuo? He has been wrong more than he's right. And he conveniently "revises his predictions" after other analysts and organizations release information.

pezj

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Cheap is in at Apple! And being between gigs and all, I am a fan.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
The A7x makes perfect sense if it needs to run a retina screen, and still be an increase from last years full-size model. Although the A6x seems much more apple-like, since they're stingy. If they put the A7x in there I think I would be pleasantly surprised by something apple's done (spec-wise) for the first time ever :D

Good things come for those who wait for the Retina Mini ;)

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
I doubt Apple will offer a lower-cost iPad mini with an A6 processor. I would expect them to offer a retina iPad mini with the A6X processor and drop the price of the current iPad mini. Just as they did with the iPad 2.

Aaah.. but what about Apple's NEW strategy of releasing a plastic cheaper version phone?? They are hiring plastics experts to work on both their iPhone AND iPad line. I think we could see cheaper, lower powered, colorful iPad minis next year....... & they'd sell like MAD!!!!!!

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
uhhhh no.

First of all it's 2 inches (diagonally) but there is a significant difference area-wise. This will be immediately apparent to anyone looking at both. Plus there will always be a weight different between the products. I also don't think the iPad 5 is rumored to be quite as thin as the mini.

I honestly don't see Apple significantly changing their pricing scheme. Maybe the mini will go from $329 to $349 but that's it.

Right. so a potential buyer would look at it like this:

Sacrifice the 2" screen real estate (which, as an owner of both the ipad 4 and the mini ipad, is not THAT big a deal...the resolution hurts more) and you get:
- lighter and more portable design
- the same performance
- a higher density display
- $150 in your pocket.

and youre saying theres nothing one-sided in that decision matrix??
unless apple makes that $150 into something like $99...i dot see many people opting for the full size.

kkillam

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2011
So we've been hearing all this stuff about a new form factor for the full size iPad, and a fingerprint scanner for the iPhone 5S. Does anyone think it would be likely that the new iPads get the same scanner?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.