Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

lte_advanced_logo-250x255.jpg
Leading German carrier Deutsche Telekom today announced (via Macerkopf) the launch of its new LTE-Advanced or LTE+ network offering data speeds of up to a theoretical maximum 150 Mbps, with the network going live immediately in over 100 towns and cities in the country.

In the press release, Deutsche Telekom notes that Samsung is launching a new version of the Galaxy S4 with support for LTE-Advanced, and word that other LTE-Advanced devices are coming "at the end of September" is renewing speculation that the iPhone 5S might be one of those devices.
Samsung will be offering an upgrade of its Galaxy S4 with LTE+. Comparable devices from other vendors will follow at the end of September. Deutsche Telekom's latest data products, including Speedstick LTE III, Speedbox LTE II and Speedbox LTE mini, will also support LTE+ in September, following a software update.
Two months ago, a report surfaced claiming that Apple was in talks with Korea's SK Telecom about supporting LTE-Advanced on the iPhone 5S. At the time, we noted that it seemed unlikely Apple would be willing and able to add support to the iPhone 5S given the rarity of LTE-Advanced networks and that the company was only in the negotiation stages roughly two months before the device's debut.

With another leading carrier in a major market for Apple now launching LTE-Advanced, it seems that momentum is starting to build behind the technology and handset manufacturers are clearly lining up to support the standard. Apple has, however, traditionally been somewhat conservative in adopting new cellular technologies before they have widespread adoption, and so it remains to be seen whether Apple has plans to bring the latest LTE-Advanced support to the iPhone 5S later this month.

Article Link: Deutsche Telekom Announcement Fuels Renewed Talk of Possible LTE-Advanced Support for iPhone 5S

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
LTE Advanced is the first TRUE 4G cellular technology. This is exciting! In the next few years our mobile data connections may be faster than our wired connections! Can't wait for AT&T to roll this out, as well as the other US carriers.

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
So glad to be on T-Mobile right now. And with all the overtime I've been working, it's likely I'll be able to get a 5S within the first week of its release :D

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
LTE Advanced is the first TRUE 4G cellular technology. This is exciting! In the next few years our mobile data connections may be faster than our wired connections! Can't wait for AT&T to roll this out, as well as the other US carriers.

I can't get excited. LTE is "good enough" to the point where I don't feel like I'm ever waiting for something (though, I never tether.). I would probably just end up turning LTE-A off in favor of better battery life.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
If Apple follows their usual pattern...

We will not see LTE+/Advanced until iPhone 6 at least.

-They held off on 3G at first.
-The held off on LTE until lower power, smaller LTE chips were available.

They don't seem to rush into the new cellular technology until it's had some time to mature and become more widespread.

Hope I'm wrong though... :cool:

Last edited:

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
What's wrong with LTE??? It hasn't even been pushed. Some area's get 50Mbps but many area's are only 10-15 Mbps on AT&T...

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Uhhh... LTE-Advanced is supported in MDM9625 which I see no reason not to be in the iPhone 5S. This really isn't even news.

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
I can't get excited. LTE is "good enough" to the point where I don't feel like I'm ever waiting for something (though, I never tether.). I would probably just end up turning LTE-A off in favor of better battery life.

This. If you can stream 1080p video on LTE (which I can and do), what's the point of LTE-A on a phone? The only thing I'd like is better latency, but even then you don't NEED it.

herocero

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2003
down on the upside
Follow the Qualcomm baseband support, follow the iPhone cellular support. Anandtech is pretty good about following the Qualcomm roadmap, I'd start there if this is really going to happen.

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
LTE-Advanced? Jeez, I'd just be happy if in my area 2G was switched off completely and 3G was beefed up to give as-strong 2G coverage. Really, for most of my needs a strong 3.5G/3.75G connection is great.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
This. If you can stream 1080p video on LTE (which I can and do), what's the point of LTE-A on a phone? The only thing I'd like is better latency, but even then you don't NEED it.

Carrier aggregation (Binding two spectrum bands to create a super "highway" of data.)

Much more spectrum efficiency.

Etc..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.