Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

PayPal today announced a major update to its iOS app, introducing a complete iOS 7-style redesign that focuses on mobile payments in physical locations.

A new "Shop" tab has been added to allow users to discover nearby restaurants and shops that support payments via PayPal. In a location that offers payments through PayPal, users can check in to pay for merchandise, pay directly at restaurant tables, and place and pay for orders ahead of time to skip lines.

Different payment methods, such as separate debit cards and credit cards, can be stored within the app and accessed at any time. The app also supports PayPal's Bill Me Later function, letting users apply for a line of credit within the app. PayPal partners are able to offer coupons and discounts, which are also viewable within the app, and a transfer function supports quick and easy payments between friends and family.

According to PayPal's Vice President of Global Product, Hill Ferguson, the redesign is part of a push to increase consumer awareness about PayPal's availability in retail locations as well as online.

The new PayPal app update will be available for download later today. [Direct Link]

Article Link: PayPal for iOS Updated With New Mobile Wallet Features

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
The functionality is familiar. (Hailo for cabs, for example). The real and obvious test will be the uptake on the part of vendors. As far as I'm concerned, the further we can get away with needing to carry cash or credit cards around, the better.

i5pro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
NNJ
The functionality is familiar. (Hailo for cabs, for example). The real and obvious test will be the uptake on the part of vendors. As far as I'm concerned, the further we can get away with needing to carry cash or credit cards around, the better.

Until your phone gets stolen, and your fingers get cut off for the embedded sensor recognition.:eek:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Ugh. I wish Apple would hurry up and turn our iTunes accounts into a Paypal competitor. Vendors would rush to support it.

PayPal is turning into a monopoly for this function and since they're the worst company in the world who I won't use, that's kind of a problem for me.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
PayPal is turning into a monopoly for this function and since they're the worst company in the world who I won't use, that's kind of a problem for me.

So true! Every time I sell an iPhone or other device I renew my hate for them :)

What other company do you know that tells an 10 year account holder that they will keep your funds for up to a month until you establish a relationship....

Somebody needs to replace them AND Ebay in a hurry.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
If Apple set up a competitor service that was easier to use and better to users then id be all for it

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Until your phone gets stolen, and your fingers get cut off for the embedded sensor recognition.:eek:

These types of sensors only work with living fingers, the sensor does not visually scan the print it uses a signature generated by the fingers living tissue. Good job too because I can imagine there are people about that wouldn't think twice about hacking off someone's finger to get at their cash.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
These types of sensors only work with living fingers, the sensor does not visually scan the print it uses a signature generated by the fingers living tissue. Good job too because I can imagine there are people about that wouldn't think twice about hacking off someone's finger to get at their cash.

True, I'm only afraid we will someday soon hear from the first robber who was dumb enough to THINK that this works... With same result concerning the finger.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Ugh. I wish Apple would hurry up and turn our iTunes accounts into a Paypal competitor. Vendors would rush to support it.

Just use bitcoins.

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto

Problem is, anyone that doesn't know this will still think a little hackey-hackey will work. ;)

D.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
As great as Paypal was 10 years ago, is as bad as it is now.

Their "freezing" (taking) of large sums of peoples money once they have it in their possession because of a hundred different excuses from "Patriot act!" to "Suspicious behavior, send us every little personal detail about your life first and we'll review and evaluate whether we approve" that aren't their concern, are the last straw.

It's back to the old way for our company. Credit Cards, Cashiers checks & Postal Money Orders, held until funds clear, from here on out.

We'll gladly forfeit convenient impulse purchases to save a ton on fees and time lost to their BS.

For receiving money, Paypal has sunk to a mere half-step above a scam. I hope they burn.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
So true! Every time I sell an iPhone or other device I renew my hate for them :)

What other company do you know that tells an 10 year account holder that they will keep your funds for up to a month until you establish a relationship....

Exactly!

Why the government doesn't investigate both of these shysters is beyond me, they must be providing some valuable NSA type info like AT&T and the rest of them do, which in turn earns these companies freedom from a congressional hearing.

So, eBay owns PayPal, and eBay forces its users to use PayPal, and no third-party e-payment services are allowed to participate. In fact, you can't even accept check or money order for items you sell anymore. So eBay charges their fees, then their own company PayPal takes an additional cut after that and there's no way around it. Every day they're just printing money over there, what a racket.

Doesn't this sound like a no brainer for an anti-trust lawsuit, and why the **** hasn't it happened yet?

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Problem is, anyone that doesn't know this will still think a little hackey-hackey will work. ;)

D.

Most smartphone thefts are of the grab and dash variety, because most thieves know that most police departments will put in almost zero effort to investigate a single phone theft. Once you start holding people at gun point and hacking off body parts, the police suddenly get very interested. Most thieves don't want this kind of trouble.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
All I'll say is www.paypalsucks.com when they limit your account 2 times in a year because you sold an iPhone and an iPad just because the items sold incur fraudulent activity, and they just want to make sure your not conducting such activity, so they hold your funds for 90 days and do this 3 years in a row...not because YOU did something wrong, but because others did....seek alternatives. Amazon Payments, Chase Quickpay, anything but Paypal. Customer= Victim

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Just use bitcoins.

What I'm specifically talking about is all the small websites selling stuff where you get 2 choices when checking out: Paypal or Credit Card

I see that a lot and that's what I meant by a 'monopoly.' No matter how cool any of these other services are, they don't help me in those situations.

(So I'm not talking about an ACTUAL monopoly and me not being able to buy things...I just use a credit card when I have to. I'm talking about not being able to use a convenient and easy check-out which is why I tend to buy everything on iTunes or Amazon these days.)

For an example of what I mean, click the button that says "Purchase $4.99" on this app's website:

http://fluidapp.com

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

are people threatening iphone carryers with dismemberment or death to get their phones now? how would it be any different? today if someone said theyre going to cut off your finger (or shoot you), you immediately hand over your phone, averting trauma. every time. unlocking it for them with a finger is no different than unlocking it for them w/ a PIN.

total non-issue in real life.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002

Their "freezing" (taking) of large sums of peoples money once they have it in their possession because of a hundred different excuses from "Patriot act!" to "Suspicious behavior, send us every little personal detail about your life first and we'll review and evaluate whether we approve" that aren't their concern, are the last straw.

It's back to the old way for our company. Credit Cards, Cashiers checks & Postal Money Orders, held until funds clear, from here on out.

We'll gladly forfeit convenient impulse purchases to save a ton on fees and time lost to their BS.

For receiving money, Paypal has sunk to a mere half-step above a scam. I hope they burn.

And how are you going to take credit card payments? How do funds "clear" with CC payments? I'd love to hear your take on this--because they DON'T. There is always a risk of someone doing a chargeback, or unauthorized funds claim.

Which brings us to exactly why being a payment processor is tricky... gotta be fair to both the payer and the merchant, but have to follow laws, and assume the risk on the payment (but also make sure the merchant understands the risk of doing business)... btw, that is what PayPal is, a payment processor.

Silly.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

You not telling us the whole story. At 10 years you do have a relationship with them.

I have nothing but praise for them. They have taken care of me quite well including issuing me refunds outside of normal practice.

----------

I think the freezing quidelines for paypal mirror your bank. The only time I have had funds frozen is on refunds, or when i was brand new.

I suspect huge payments might also get flagged as your bank would likely also do.

Perhaps someone can be more detailed about the circumstances of their freeze.

----------

All I'll say is http://www.paypalsucks.com when they limit your account 2 times in a year because you sold an iPhone and an iPad just because the items sold incur fraudulent activity, and they just want to make sure your not conducting such activity, so they hold your funds for 90 days and do this 3 years in a row...not because YOU did something wrong, but because others did....seek alternatives. Amazon Payments, Chase Quickpay, anything but Paypal. Customer= Victim

I would say....BS.

I have sold these items and no freeze. I have sold way more expensive items and no freeze.

There is a reason you were flagged. They may not tell you but I suspect there is something there.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
You not telling us the whole story. At 10 years you do have a relationship with them.

I have nothing but praise for them. They have taken care of me quite well including issuing me refunds outside of normal practice.

Good for You!
Well, I sell maybe 2 items a year and that is apparently not enough to be trusted.....

100% good reviews and member since 2000 counts for nothing even though they have direct access to my bank account for purchases I make on Ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.