Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoy88

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Illinois
How do you get into your account without your generated passcode? I think that is what people are freaking out about.

Big freakin' deal. :rolleyes:

All you, people, had to do was re-scan the barcode found in your account settings and you'd be good to go.

People love to dramatize, I tell ya.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Yes, but if you don't have a trusted computer, you'll need the code from the (now broken) authenticator app, meaning that you can't get into your account to re-scan the barcode! Of course if you also have a phone number listed on your account (in addition to authenticator), then Google can text or call you with your code.
This is why I don't use 2 factor authentication on sites that don't have an alternate backup (email, text, etc.). This was bound to happen eventually.
How do you get into your account without your generated passcode? I think that is what people are freaking out about.
For me the authentication # was texted to me because it was a backup.

moralneeeick

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2008
This article says you cannot disable auto updates in iOS 7. You can - see screenshot...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 94

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
This article says you cannot disable auto updates in iOS 7. You can - see screenshot...
Are you sure?
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Google has pulled its Google Authenticator app from the App Store following an update that removes all stored accounts when installed.

The app is used with Google's two-factor authentication service to make logging in to Google accounts more secure.

TechCrunch reports that users who don't have a trusted computer will need to reset their all stored tokens on Google that allow other services like Dropbox or Evernote to connect to users' Google accounts.
The update points to a larger potential problem with iOS 7, where app updates will download automatically onto iOS devices. MacRumors has heard from several iOS 7 beta testers who lost their account info on Google Authenticator because the update was downloaded automatically when it was released.

iOS 7 users do have the option to revert to the manual update scheme used in prior versions of iOS.

There is no word from Google on when the app will be updated and returned to the App Store. The update also includes a new design with a flat icon to match Apple's iOS 7 look-and-feel.

Google Authenticator is normally available free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google's Two-Factor Authentication App Pulled From App Store After Broken Update

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Remember, kids: Google Always Does Cloud Stuff Right, Apple Always Does Cloud Stuff Wrong :p

(Just use Google Reader to keep up with the latest!)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
So either of those can just straight up replace Google Authenticator and getting the Facebook code through the Facebook app? If anything, it'd be worth having your sites set up in both apps for occasions like the one in this article.

Yup, but you will need to set them up again as Google Authenticator does not let you export/migrate accounts (nor any other apps as far as I am aware of).

Between Authy and Duo Mobile, I strongly prefer Authy as (1) it looks nicer, (2) cloud-based backup, (3) PIN protection, (4) OS X companion app that enters code directly from iOS app via Bluetooth 4.0.

mxt920

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
Slightly annoyed that as well as wiping all my accounts it also no longer shows with number it is generating is for which account!

I thought so too, but if you click the edit icon (the little pencil in the upper right corner), then you can edit the name of each number and give it a more descriptive title.

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
I think this is probably a feature, not a bug. However, a feature that is pretty inconvenient for users. I have some other token generator applications and I also need to register again after an app update. I guess it is trying to prevent that malicious code could supplant the token generator and start sending your tokens to the "bad guys". If the app changes then the best thing is to disable all tokens. Inconvenient, but more secure, although it seems to be causing significant problems to people. I was lucky that I had trusted computers for the affected tokens and I could reinstall them.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
This isn't an OS problem. It's a problem with developers not properly testing apps before they are distributed.

Second this. It's surprisingly fickle and narrow-minded to point it to a feature in the OS as cover for lack of developer testing on part of Google for this.

That said, I believe it wasn't meant to be used on iOS 7 anyway right now.. Funny how a front page news poster is ignorant of this fact. Unexpected app behavior is highly possible since (I don't know for sure, taking a guess) no app on the App Store is currently expected or supposed to be compatible with iOS 7.

Automatic updates is a good feature. It should only help push developers further to test before releasing an update and overall help the quality of updates.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Yup, but you will need to set them up again as Google Authenticator does not let you export/migrate accounts (nor any other apps as far as I am aware of).

Between Authy and Duo Mobile, I strongly prefer Authy as (1) it looks nicer, (2) cloud-based backup, (3) PIN protection, (4) OS X companion app that enters code directly from iOS app via Bluetooth 4.0.
Sold!

Pheo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
The wordpress plugin I use doesn't have an email/alternative recovery option.

I'm thinking I might turn this off, given the update...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.