Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I did think about the HTC one when I was deciding which phone to upgrade to. Initally when both phones were announced I wasn't interested in the HTC one and it was the S4 that caught my eye. I was thinking about getting an S4 but I didn't know if I wanted to buy one outright as I was still in contract and I also wanted to make sure that the phone I bought would be compatible with my networks LTE when it launched. So after a few months I decided that I'd just pay the fee and to upgrade. Then I considered the HTC one but in the end I went with the S4 for the follwing reasons:

Removable battery- I like to carry a removable battery with me and then I don't have to worry about how much I'm using my phone. I have a 2 hour commute each way and rely on my phone to entertain me. I'm was used to carrying spares for my note.

SD card- I like to store a lot of media on my device. At the momet I've got a 32 GB SD card in my phone and I'm full up. I've had to order a 64GB card. I was never going to get on with the 32GB HTC one.

Familiarity with touch wiz- Having already owned the galaxy Note, the galaxy tab 2 and the galaxy Y and enjoying the software and its features and I wasn't that keen on the sense 5.

I have other Samsung devices at home so the S4 would play nicely with them.

According to several reviews the S4 had a better camera in well lit settings.

Amoled screen. Im used to having an super amoled screen and prefer it to an LCD display.

Screen size- I was coming from the original note which was 5.3 inches. The HTC one would have been too small for me.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I'm surprised the One apologists haven't entered this thread and berated OP for picking the better phone.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Apologists? So people don't have the right to their opinion and if you say it's a superior phone that is a fact? Gotcha.

You must have missed the other thread where all the HTC fanboys came in and attacked the OP for telling us his opinions on the One.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm surprised the One apologists haven't entered this thread and berated OP for picking the better phone.

There are some stupid things about the One, but it's the best smartphone I've owned to date.

Yet I can fully understand why someone would choose the S4 over the One.

Problem?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
There are some stupid things about the One, but it's the best smartphone I've owned to date.

I'm not filing you under the HTC apologist category. You seem to be the only one that can have a civilized conversation about it.

Everyone else, though, jesus. Almost as bad as the crackberry people.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana

Problem?

I agree. Both are tremendous phones, but the One is what I plan on getting after a few store visits and watching lots of reviews. I could be happy with either though.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Me neither; in fact the S4 was my first android phone with a sd slot. But it looks like you use your phone in a different way. I don't care much about apps, or at least I don't play large games in my phone. Most of my storage is used by music, and that's perfect with an SD card.

Yeah i have a bunch of gameloft, and other games on my phone. Plus the movies, and music etc. I could have bought an s4 with 32gb of memory. But like i said, i am happy with the htc. And unlike other ppl, i love sense, and blinkfeed. I hate touchwiz. So each person is different.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Why bother with outdated hardware when you can soon (in 2-3 weeks) get Snapdragon 800-based handsets with far superior features like OIS? (Referring to the LG G2)

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
You must have missed the other thread where all the HTC fanboys came in and attacked the OP for telling us his opinions on the One.

Curious to know what thread you're referring to as I'm interested to read its discussions.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Why bother with outdated hardware when you can soon (in 2-3 weeks) get Snapdragon 800-based handsets with far superior features like OIS? (Referring to the LG G2)

Are you serious? If you apply this logic you will never buy a new smartphone because there is always something new around the corner... the one or the s4 are and will still be perfectly fine.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Are you serious? If you apply this logic you will never buy a new smartphone because there is always something new around the corner... the one or the s4 are and will still be perfectly fine.

Well, the G2 will be released VERY soon - some weeks only. Not in the distant future.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Well, the G2 will be released VERY soon - some weeks only. Not in the distant future.

Yeah, and some weeks later the Nexus5 will be released.. and who knows what's coming before X-Mas...

The point is, you told him to wait; but you can always wait for something (slightly) better...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Just got the S4. Upgraded from an S2 Skyrocket. Couldn't be happier.

I considered (strongly) the HTC One. Beautiful and great phone. But I wanted expandable memory and a battery that could swap out. I also prefer the S4's camera functions to the One and a lot of my usages is taking pictures. There were some other reasons - but again - couldn't be happier.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
in the end buy what suits YOUR needs.....with today's smartphones you cannot go wrong. There are some great phones out there. BUT be very wary of those who put down one phone or the other. They usually have an agenda....or just want to validate their own choice by putting down all phones they didn't choose. Go checkout all the different phones and get the one you liek the most....plus most carriers give you a 14 day return window. So if your not happy with your first choice return it and get your second choice.....

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ok so I haven't upgrade yet, but I would like someone here to challenge my logic because I really like the aesthetics of the HTC one.

For a phone, I really like survivability. Especially a phone that can last for more than four years. One of the gripes I have with the HTC one was that it has a non-removable battery. At first, I didn't really mind since I can get portable chargers and what not. However, I then started to think about the long term quality of the battery. I would think that battery would start to degrade after two years.

With the S4, I can easily just slap a new battery when the old one starts to degrade.

I just want a phone that would last for four years and maybe potentially more.

I agree and also - removable expandable storage - you'll eventually fill up the phone. On top of that, HTC doesn't support their products as long as Samsung Does in regards to OSes, if you decided to keep stock.

People also complain about the plastic-ness of the S4, but I love having a phone that even without a case I'm not afraid to set on a table for fear of a bread crumb scratching it. I went from an iPhoner for life (4S most recently) to the S4 over the HTC One and am loving it.

I also like some of the stock features of the S4 like smart-pause, and the built in IR Blaster. Never thought I'd use my phone as a remote but when I've gotten settled on the couch and realize the remote is in another room, I just use my phone.

----------

Just got the S4. Upgraded from an S2 Skyrocket. Couldn't be happier.

I considered (strongly) the HTC One. Beautiful and great phone. But I wanted expandable memory and a battery that could swap out. I also prefer the S4's camera functions to the One and a lot of my usages is taking pictures. There were some other reasons - but again - couldn't be happier.

Camera is far superior and with image quality comes image size and expandable storage is a must if one of your primary uses is a camera. I agree wholeheartedly.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I can start to see the reasoning for a person to keep a phone for a considerable time.

The thing I hate with the HTC One is the fact it simply hard to remove a battery without actually damaging the exterior. 1/10 at iFixit. Someday, it will just be a paperweight to me but at least a nice-looking ONE.

The best phone I ever had is probably the HTC One. Latest is usually the greatest.

But my favorite phone I ever had is Google Nexus One by HTC. Only Nexus that had a removable battery AND memory slot. And personally, I'm starting to like more compact phones again. HTC One can be a bit of annoyance to put in my pocket as it can stick out. Nexus One was just perfect for me ergonomically with metal and soft touch on the back. Nexus One is more comfortable for me to hold than my original iPhone or iPhone 4. Perfectly rounded corners. Nice grip.

I can see the Nexus One continuing to live on long after the HTC One's battery dies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.