Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ronix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I have know idea where to ask this question but this seemed like the best choice. (Mods please move to the proper location if need be) I was just wondering what happened to the Classified section? I used to always look at it as there were great deals from the macrumors community members, and dreaming is always fun. Does this section no longer exist? Thanks for your reply, this community always amazes me with the incredible useful information.

Ronix

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
This thread will answer your questions about the Marketplace Marketplace Discussion Thread

Market Place Rules

Can't Find or Access the Marketplace Forum?
Before you can access the Marketplace forum, you need a minimum post count of 250, as displayed in your User Profile, and you must have been a MacRumors member for at least 180 days (about 6 months).

General Rules:
1. Eligibility. To use the Marketplace forum (read threads, start threads, or post replies), you must be a forum member with user title 6502 or above, which means that you have 250 or more posts as displayed in your User Profile. This gives other members a chance to become familiar with you. To see your User Profile, click Quick Links -> My Profile at the top of a forum page. You must also have been a member for at least 180 days.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Ronix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Thanks for the quick reply MacDawg, looks like my post count has a long way to go! Darn I liked just browsing... well I guess its good for the safety for all MacRumor members. Thanks Again, guess I am really bad at the search function or something...that was quick! :D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the quick reply MacDawg, looks like my post count has a long way to go! Darn I liked just browsing... well I guess its good for the safety for all MacRumor members. Thanks Again, guess I am really bad at the search function or something...that was quick! :D

If you search using MRoogle, you're more likely to find what you're looking for than using the standard forum search.

eshroom

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2006
I hit the 250 post mark! This is the first in a non-technical section. I have also been a member for 4 years, how come I can't see the marketplace? Is there a lag after reaching 250?

Edit: Scratch that, I just read I have to wait for "system processing"

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I hit the 250 post mark! This is the first in a non-technical section. I have also been a member for 4 years, how come I can't see the marketplace? Is there a lag after reaching 250?

Edit: Scratch that, I just read I have to wait for "system processing"

You also don't have 250 posts yet as of this post. ;)

bdeitemeyer

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
Ahh...this makes sense, I was wondering why I couldn't access the classifieds & now I know. Still a ways to go, but it's nice to have something to look forward to. :)

scottgroovez

macrumors regular
May 20, 2010
I find it tough going trying to get involved in discussions about a product I don't own yet! Yet I want to see what comes up used on the marketplace so I do become an owner. I understand the reasons, just the limit is so high!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I find it tough going trying to get involved in discussions about a product I don't own yet! Yet I want to see what comes up used on the marketplace so I do become an owner. I understand the reasons, just the limit is so high!

If you sign up for eBay you can search for completed items to get a rough idea on second hand Mac prices. Knock about 10-15% off the eBay prices and you'll be fairly close to what they go for in the MacRumors Classifieds.

iArch

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
All Over
...I understand the reasons, just the limit is so high!

Yep, it is. I'm fairly new to the Mac world (other than iPhones & iPods, of course) and surfed anonymously on MR for a while, learning about this, that and the other, and soon found the site worthy of my support. So I contributed a few $. I post every so often now, but I'm not going to just toss up fluff to rack up 250, so there's no telling when I'll be able to access the Marketplace. At my current rate, it'll be a long time.

Meanwhile, there are plenty 250 + post members who never seem to post anything of much value.

In short, rest assured that the 250 post minimum is keeping a good number of non-riff-raff out, too. There ought to be some leeway for those of us who think enough of the site to contribute to its bottom line, and who avoid posting just for the sake of it.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

The line has to be drawn somewhere. I understand the 250 is high, but if the admins start letting certain members in who have a lower post count where do they stop.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Yep, it is. I'm fairly new to the Mac world (other than iPhones & iPods, of course) and surfed anonymously on MR for a while, learning about this, that and the other, and soon found the site worthy of my support.

As one of the moderators at the time who worked on and supported the changes to improve the quality of the marketplace for forum members, and as someone who used to pay close daily attention to ensuring that it remained trouble-free and even-handed for all participants, I'll take a little time to explain the thinking behind the current policies.

First of all, accessing the marketplace is a privilege for established and participating members of MacRumors, not a reason in itself for being here. Before implementing these changes, with no barrier to entry, the marketplace was a nightmare for all, except for those happy to bump, scam and otherwise make it a far more unpleasant place to be involved with, including the moderators and admins.

Without wanting to involve ourselves too much in the bolting-on or implementing of reputation systems, the current post count (250) and length of time of membership (180 days) were formulated to provide a rudimentary reputation system of our own, that needed little or no administering. If you've been around on MacRumors for about six months and have participated and contributed to the community enough to have made 250 or more posts, then the community has had a chance to get to know you.

Shortcutting that process by a one-off contribution of $25, as welcome as it is, doesn't provide the community with any sense of who you are... and it also is a comparatively small sum in comparison with some of the large-ticket items that are traded in the Marketplace, a fee that any serious scammer would be happy to pay to offload a fictional Mac Pro, for instance. Not that I'm implying that you wish to defraud others, but I hope you can undertand the issues involved.

So I contributed a few $. I post every so often now, but I'm not going to just toss up fluff to rack up 250, so there's no telling when I'll be able to access the Marketplace. At my current rate, it'll be a long time.

Meanwhile, there are plenty 250 + post members who never seem to post anything of much value.

The post requirements for the marketplace are not based on post quality, that is true. However, the moderating team have a keen eye for those attempting to make post-padding runs for various totals and will delete or otherwise curtail posting privileges if they feel that forum members are spamming their way to gain access to the marketplace.

However, one person's 'fluff' is another's contribution. And through the sum total and commitment to the community of regularly posting, we all therefore gain a measure of each other.

If reaching a post count of 250 seems arduous, posting 10-15 times per week shouldn't be beyond most people. There are a wide range of topics — from sports, photography, music... to current events to Apple news and gear — across a diverse range of forums on this site. Posts within forum rules and longer than one word, a +1, or a smilie will stand... so it's hardly an exacting requirement, except the one you place upon yourself.

Believe me, I understand it when wading through the endless one-liners and quips that can make up many threads. However, none of us also want to read a thread full of posts as long as this one. ;)

In short, rest assured that the 250 post minimum is keeping a good number of non-riff-raff out, too. There ought to be some leeway for those of us who think enough of the site to contribute to its bottom line, and who avoid posting just for the sake of it.

Don't take the words of those who use the term 'riff raff' seriously. Team members at MacRumors don't employ such a blanket dismissive and classist term towards those who don't qualify for various forum privileges.

There is a happy medium between 'avoiding posting just for the sake of it' and spamming the boards with useless material. I personally hope that you can find where that place is for you, thus being a participating member of MacRumors and hopefully, within a couple of months, gaining access to a marketplace that only can improve with the addition of quality buyers and sellers, for once you gain access to the marketplace, you can also take some confidence in knowing that other potential traders didn't jump the barriers to gain access, either.

Hope to see you around a bit more. :)

iArch

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
All Over
I spent many years as admin on an unrelated vBulletin forum and can fully relate to the dynamics of trying to run things in ways that benefit a site's "community". During my tenure ours grew to about 150k members and it took a good bit of my time, as well our other staffers', so 500k has to be quite the herd to shepherd. We were constantly being told how to run the place by all sorts of members. From the people who added value, to the people who only trolled and took. So the last thing this n00b is gonna do is debate changes here. Rules are rules. Offered up my opinion and it's all good.

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
my question is (if anyone still checks this thread), is couldn't there be some type of "time as member=less posts required" equation? I remember back BEFORE these requirements went into effect, and also remember when the announcement was made for them. After getting my first mac back in 200-whenever, I found these forums to learn about macs and how to use it and find programs that were basically equivalents of windows stuff i had gotten used to. Once I got the hang of OSX and learned via searching this very forum, I joined. The classifieds were a major reason why I kept coming back. I don't wanna do the "spam posting" thing to get to 250, but I feel like i'm being penalized for not being quite as chatty as some. I've been locked out of a forum that would most likely be the one i'd be most active in and I'm sure I've been here longer than others who use it.

mr.thedaniel

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
any exceptions to 250 rules?

Are exceptions ever made for users who have been long time members but haven't yet reached 250 posts?

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Are exceptions ever made for users who have been long time members but haven't yet reached 250 posts?

I'm not 100% sure as I am not a mod, but as far as I know, there is not. I tried somewhere around the beginning of my registration to get in, but with no luck. Of course, I am not sure about longtime members that simply do not post often... I guess we'll have to see what the mods say, but my short answer would be no, probably not. I've tried... and failed :D

[/junior moderator]

Nov 28, 2010
located

Probably not, as it is more of a software setting than "a mod has to set you free" method.

And is like negotiating with children, once you give in, the bastards keep on coming and will not stop until the spinach is destroyed. Cauliflowers everywhere.

mr.thedaniel

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
indeed, this makes sense. I often wish that the MR forums had reddit-like upvotes and downvotes as it'd help with selected answers on question threads, as well as burying trolls and rabbit hole trips.

If there were such a thing, perhaps something like voting up or down on 5000 or so posts would be a valid substitute. That'd be good for less vocal but still long term regulars like myself :)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
indeed, this makes sense. I often wish that the MR forums had reddit-like upvotes and downvotes as it'd help with selected answers on question threads, as well as burying trolls and rabbit hole trips.

If there were such a thing, perhaps something like voting up or down on 5000 or so posts would be a valid substitute. That'd be good for less vocal but still long term regulars like myself :)

Then everyone would do it.

There's too many people here that have been here since four years ago, but only check out the code sharing area every day and have never posted otherwise. We don't want them to invade the marketplace area just to get more freebies. At least I don't want any of those *******s getting the freebies I post up for taking anyway. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.