Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrbest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2013
I have a rp614v4 Netgear Router and I would like to find out if I would be able to load third party firm ware to enable the QoS function. Is there a way that I would be able to support QoS using this router?

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
If you cannot configure your router to do what you want, I recommend taking a look at Smoothwall, IP Cop or something similar. You would also be able to physically separate your wifi traffic from your wired traffic quite easily. I don't think I've seen any consumer grade routers with that ability but they may be available.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
If you cannot configure your router to do what you want, I recommend taking a look at Smoothwall, IP Cop or something similar. You would also be able to physically separate your wifi traffic from your wired traffic quite easily. I don't think I've seen any consumer grade routers with that ability but they may be available.

My Asus RT-N56U has the settings for QoS also does dual wifi so the N traffic does not get slowed down by lower speed traffic on it.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
My Asus RT-N56U has the settings for QoS also does dual wifi so the N traffic does not get slowed down by lower speed traffic on it.

I bet you are fooled in thinking you are getting N speeds on 2.4. ;)

Read the blog posts What is the Difference Between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wireless LAN in Industrial Applications? & How to: Choose the Right Spectrum for 802.11n Deployments.

The short of this is get off the 2.4 channel on your wireless (when trying to use N) and choose the upper channels in your wireless router. This way you get the proper N speeds and much less channel interference on 2.4. (use the iStumbler Beta to look at other networks around you).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.