Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfoley89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
Hey,
I like to have all my folders set to Arrange By<Kind, is there a way to set this as the default for all my folders so i don't have to change every single folder i open?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hey,
I like to have all my folders set to Arrange By<Kind, is there a way to set this as the default for all my folders so i don't have to change every single folder i open?
Unfortunately, Finder is notorious for not remembering view settings across folders. It's one of the several weaknesses of Finder.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hey,

Yes there is. Open a Finder window then hit command-j to see view preferences. Configure the columns and sort prefs like you want then click the button at the bottom to make that the default for all folders.

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
Yes there is. Open a Finder window then hit command-j to see view preferences. Configure the columns and sort prefs like you want then click the button at the bottom to make that the default for all folders.

I don't see that button anymore ever since the 2nd or 3rd update to ML.
Are you sure it's still there?

Been trying to find a way to sort by type then name automatically. It stills defaults to last modified date every once in a while. Rather irritating.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Been trying to find a way to sort by type then name automatically. It stills defaults to last modified date every once in a while. Rather irritating.

I just took this screen cap in 10.8.5.

FFPNoYL.png

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

As I mentioned earlier, even if you set the defaults, Finder will forget them from time to time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.