Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
Here's a weird one. Just recently, if I hit Command + Q to close an application and then let go of the keys, it's like I never let go of the keys and the system tries to quit everything that's open. Then it just winds up on Finder with the Mac 'bottle' sound firing endlessly. I'm forced to hard boot my computer afterwards.

To my recollection, I haven't installed/upgraded anything recently that may have caused this. Though I have gone through several updates via the App Store, which haven't required a reboot, and as I've been working on a design project for many days - I haven't closed any applications in a while. So it's possible that one of those prior updates did something and I'm only now realizing it.

I'm on a 2008 Mac Pro running 10.8.4 and all patches. Any idea what's going on?

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
This is happening more frequently now along with random system freezes. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm | | close to starting over with Snow Leopard (not a fan of Mountain Lion).

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
Does anyone have any thoughts with this? I've reinstalled Mountain Lion (over my existing install) and the problem still persists, though now it's showing slightly different symptoms. Where before you could see the menu item firing (as if you were constantly holding down CMD+Q), now after pressing CMD+Q once, the keyboard and mouse will become unresponsive. I can still move the mouse around and the Dock will hide/unhide itself but I cannot click anything. Same with the keyboard - can't type anything.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
Here's an update on this one for anyone following :). The problem may have been the Logitech Control Panel for my Logitech Denovo keyboard and MX mouse. Since uninstalling it, the freezes have become less frequent but have not entirely gone away. Now, since ditching the hardware and using my backup set, things appear to be OK. I will continue to use the backup set and advise if there are any further problems -- just thought I'd share my experiences thus far in the rare event that someone else is/has/will go through this.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
Seems to be hardware-related. I've been using the backup set for about a week now and have not had the issue present its ugly head.

Looks like a new keyboard for me! Problem solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.