Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
How many of you think that Apple may release an new Apple TV coming up this month? What do you think will be updated? Processor? Wifi? Just curious. I'm looking at buying one, but if they will update it soon, I want to wait. Especially if it will get Wifi 802.11ac.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
How many of you think that Apple may release an new Apple TV coming up this month? What do you think will be updated? Processor? Wifi? Just curious. I'm looking at buying one, but if they will update it soon, I want to wait. Especially if it will get Wifi 802.11ac.

theres at least 3 threads on the first page about this. no one knows, but its so cheap that if you can get use out of it buy it. personally, i dont see what difference ac would make, i currently run three on my network and stream HD content to all of them with no buffering. a processor update was just made

Chazz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
theres at least 3 threads on the first page about this. no one knows, but its so cheap that if you can get use out of it buy it. personally, i dont see what difference ac would make, i currently run three on my network and stream HD content to all of them with no buffering. a processor update was just made

Some people live in countries where the entire building is made out of cement, so ac helps. I can barely get signal in the next room over right now with the generation before.

----------

I also looked through the list, and I don't see any other threads about a new Apple TV this coming month.....According to the buyers guide, it hasn't been updated for over a year too. So it's due for an update I think.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1625757/
is the most up to date discussion. the consensus is that it was recently updated, and a future update is unlikely due to a matter of, what is there to update. AC would probably come in an upgrade similar to how the processor was bumped up in the last update. Nothing to make a 4th gen marketing campaign about. it hasnt been updated since second gen for some time, but there was also a big gap b/w first and second, so its not a yearly refresh like most products.

SluGuru

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
It is hard to tell. If you want one now, I would wait the 9 days until the Sept 10th announcement. Yes there will be much more announced in the rest of the year, but its $99. Waiting 9 days to make an investment is fine, but more than month or two and you are really messing out.

I honestly do not see what they can add but minor stuff like AC. It is all ready almost all cloud based. I see the current generation supporting everything they plan for Apple TV until the actually TV set comes along. The ac is a fine upgrade if you need it, but there is nothing on the rumor front and for $100 I would not give up more than a month or two just to have access to it.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
This hope seems to be resting on rather thin foundations, at the moment:
Gigabit Wi-Fi Summed Up

According to what I've read, it's really not on thin foundations. It travels further, and with other ac compatible devices, it can use the beamforming. From what reviews have said about the Airport Extreme, I'm hoping that a new Apple TV and the former would work really well together in my house. I'm just basing that off of what I've read about how wifi works with different materials and reviews.

----------

It is hard to tell. If you want one now, I would wait the 9 days until the Sept 10th announcement. Yes there will be much more announced in the rest of the year, but its $99. Waiting 9 days to make an investment is fine, but more than month or two and you are really messing out.

I honestly do not see what they can add but minor stuff like AC. It is all ready almost all cloud based. I see the current generation supporting everything they plan for Apple TV until the actually TV set comes along. The ac is a fine upgrade if you need it, but there is nothing on the rumor front and for $100 I would not give up more than a month or two just to have access to it.

Yeah, I'll just need to get as much range as possible. I'm just in the next room over from the router, and my iPhone 5 has a hard time connecting. I'm sure just a newer router would work too, but if I can get beamforming just to make sure, that would be nice. You're right though, I might go ahead and just buy it if nothing comes in the next week and a half.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
According to what I've read, it's really not on thin foundations. It travels further, and with other ac compatible devices, it can use the beamforming.
Let's wait and see what kind of radio design Apple will put into next AppleTV.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Let's wait and see what kind of radio design Apple will put into next AppleTV.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping on. Fingers crossed. I really hope they aren't just waiting to release a full tv. If they do, I hope they keep the Apple TV too.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I am picking an Apple TV up for 98 Australian bucks. However should Apple drastically change their next gen media streaming box, I will give it to my parents so they can share my movie libary. Yet there is not much they can change until ultra HD hits the iTunes Store.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I am picking an Apple TV up for 98 Australian bucks. However should Apple drastically change their next gen media streaming box, I will give it to my parents so they can share my movie libary. Yet there is not much they can change until ultra HD hits the iTunes Store.

They could update to 802.11ac

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I did not think of that, ah well I still have nothing in my house that uses AC. So I can live without it for a few more years.

Good point. I have a Netgear R6300 .ac router but all 5ghz devices work very well w/o the 802.11ac, including my Apple TV.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I am waiting for the new Apple TV. After using that turd of a box the Roku 3 for Netflix which was horrible I ended up going back to my PS3.

I won't buy one knowing a new Apple TV is around the corner.

Last edited:

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I think we will see a new one, with support for DTS and Wireless AC. This in turn will result in higher bit-rate and improved picture quality.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I believe that this years Apple TV will not be a major update, however next year I believe that Apple TV will integrate HDMI 2.0 and Thunderbolt 2 ports.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Whenever the Apple TV is refreshed it will certainly have AC, it's the current standard they have moved to. I think they will update it when they are ready to give it an app store. That will result in and updated CPU to handle gaming. Hardware wise I just don't see much more they can add, some more buffer space would be nice though. They could update to HDMI 2.0 but given it's an Apple TV it can't really take advantage of it. I don't see 4K being in the iTunes store anytime soon. At this point it's mostly software and content updates. There's only so much you can do with a media streamer hardware wise.

I think we will see a new one, with support for DTS and Wireless AC. This in turn will result in higher bit-rate and improved picture quality.

DTS is desperately needed. It's an overlooked feature that it needs. My Apple TV doesn't get near the usage it would if it had that. I still use my WDTV and it's awful interface because of that.

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Whenever the Apple TV is refreshed it will certainly have AC, it's the current standard they have moved to.

I wouldn't make such assumptions. Apple moved to gigabit ethernet ports long ago too, but the ATV still only has a 10/100 port.

The truth is (and nobody seems to believe), there is very little reason for Apple to add 802.11ac to the ATV. It will not improve performance (buffering speed or reliability) since your broadband internet is still the bottleneck (5-50 Mbps), whereas the current 802.11n already provides 150 Mbps. Also, 802.11n works in both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, while 802.11ac only works in the 5 GHz band (which has less interference but also less penetration through walls).

The only exception would be for AirPlay; 802.11ac may reduce latency.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I wouldn't make such assumptions. Apple moved to gigabit ethernet ports long ago too, but the ATV still only has a 10/100 port.

The truth is (and nobody seems to believe), there is very little reason for Apple to add 802.11ac to the ATV. It will not improve performance (buffering speed or reliability) since your broadband internet is still the bottleneck (5-50 Mbps), whereas the current 802.11n already provides 150 Mbps. Also, 802.11n works in both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, while 802.11ac only works in the 5 GHz band (which has less interference but also less penetration through walls).

The only exception would be for AirPlay; 802.11ac may reduce latency.

There's no gigabit because as you mentioned there's no point. There isn't any media that can take advantage of the speed and you connection isn't fast enough anyways. The one thing AC may be able to do is increase speed at distance with a proper router. With a good beam forming AC router I can see some distance being gained with AC in the Apple TV. It's certainly not going to improve penetration as some seem to think. I do hardwire for all my media boxes, just makes life easier. If there is anyway you can hardwire it's the way to go. It takes some work but the end result is worth it.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I don't care about what wireless standard is in the new Apple TV as I will be connecting it hardwired Ethernet to my Gigabit switch.

What I want is the remote to use Bluetooth as with my PS3 I can put it anywhere and the remote does not have to be line of sight.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I don't care about what wireless standard is in the new Apple TV as I will be connecting it hardwired Ethernet to my Gigabit switch.

What I want is the remote to use Bluetooth as with my PS3 I can put it anywhere and the remote does not have to be line of sight.

If you have any iDevices you can use the free Apple remote app. It uses your wifi so there isn't any need for line of site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.