Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZeroBeat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2013
Hey guys,

First time poster, long time reader. Anyway tonight I got a strange message on my iPhone 5 running iOS7. I'm just wondering what it exactly is? Besides being spammy.

Attachments

• IMG_1209.PNG
    IMG_1209.PNG
    180.4 KB · Views: 724

ZeroBeat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2013
OMG REALLLLY? :p I meant how did they format it so that it appeared as such?

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
It's a Class-0 (or "flash") SMS message, the one that is displayed immediately on your device and deleted after reading. There are Android apps for sending them, there might be a Cydia app for iPhone as well.

kevpan815

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2013
Algonquin, IL U.S.A.
It's a Class-0 (or "flash") SMS message, the one that is displayed immediately on your device and deleted after reading. There are Android apps for sending them, there might be a Cydia app for iPhone as well.

Which would mean that he is jail broken thus my using the word malicious software being 100 percent correct.

dsh3

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2012
Denmark
Just because he got a flash message, doesn't mean he's jailbroken. It's possible to recieve without, and as long as the spammer is capable of sending flash messages, it doesn't matter what terminal the end user (in this case ZeroBeat) is using as long as it's compatible with these. Old phones as old as Nokia 3210 etc. can also do this.

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
Which would mean that he is jail broken thus my using the word malicious software being 100 percent correct.

No.

This must have been triggered by a malicious app.. Got any clue which one?

No.

Cheese plane is correct that you do still have a Malicious App on your IPhone.

No.

Just because he got a flash message, doesn't mean he's jailbroken. It's possible to recieve without, and as long as the spammer is capable of sending flash messages, it doesn't matter what terminal the end user (in this case ZeroBeat) is using as long as it's compatible with these. Old phones as old as Nokia 3210 etc. can also do this.

Yes.

SilverL

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
No, these messages are used by the mobile providers too to send information about prepaid account status.
I got one in the Germany this week when I was roaming with a pre-paid sim from the Netherlands.

In your case, it's just spam.

SilverL

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
Here's an example of what I was talking about....

Attachments

• IMG_4543.PNG
    IMG_4543.PNG
    101.5 KB · Views: 213

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
So is there something I should be doing?

I am not the Search Police, I simply don't have any links bookmarked and am getting the kids off to their first day of school (yay!).

Do a search for Class-0 (or "flash") SMS message both in this forum and Google to get more information as this question occasionally comes up. The last thread I saw ended with there is nothing you can do about it, but I'm obviously not familiar with all the different Telco capabilities.

Supposedly there are websites where you can send these class-0 SMS messages but I never found one that worked.

There is nothing wrong with your phone and it isn't compromised. I'll come back to this thread later this morning to see if you're still getting bad information and try to provide some links if you haven't found anything.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And this happens in iOS 6 and earlier as well. Just spam essentially.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Lol what company do you know that would have an @gmail.com address???!

ALARM BELLS
It seems that the fact this was spam was known from the beginning, it was more of a question of whether it is new (it's not) and what might be causing or (often nothing specific as there are simply sites and software tools to spam people with these types of messages).

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Surprised nobody has questioned ZeroBeat as to where he/she got their copy of iOS from yet. Surely there are some unofficial copies with added malware somewhere?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Surprised nobody has questioned ZeroBeat as to where he/she got their copy of iOS from yet. Surely there are some unofficial copies with added malware somewhere?
Don't think anything like that exists when it comes to iOS--the OS install files have to be signed by Apple and get verified with Apple during the installation, so nothing aside from official Apple installs can really happen.

That aside, this has already been shown to be just another version of SMS-like spamming (using flash messages) which is completely unrelated to anything you might have installed or anything at all--just someone sending that type of message to the phone, nothing more.

ZeroBeat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2013

One would seem surprisingly I got it legally as one should through the developer program with my $99 bucks in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.