Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple set to introduce its iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C at next Tuesday's media event, part leaks are continuing to appear revealing information about the devices. The latest part to appear is alleged to be the logic board for the iPhone 5C, completely assembled but unfortunately with shielding in place that keeps most of the chips and other components hidden.

One set of photos was shared by C Technology, showing front and rear views of the part as well as a shot of nearly a dozen of the parts laid out on a table.

Click for larger
A second set was posted (registration required) to Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo (via Nowhereelse.fr), again showing the front and rear of the board.

Click for larger
Perhaps most interestingly, the features that can be seen on this iPhone 5C logic board reveal it to be extremely similar to the iPhone 5S logic board seen months ago in bare form and in a prototype device.

Leaked shells for the iPhone 5S and 5C have shown identical layouts for screw holes used to mount the respective logic boards, but today's photos show that even the physical connectors and components on the board itself are laid out in the same positions and orientations, at least as far as can be discerned with the shielding in place.

The iPhone 5S is expected to carry more advanced hardware than the iPhone 5C, with the iPhone 5C having been said to essentially be an iPhone 5 wrapped in a new plastic shell. But if these images are indeed accurate, it appears that Apple has reworked those iPhone 5 components to fit onto a new basic logic board design that is shared between the two new iPhone models.

Article Link: Photos of Alleged iPhone 5C Logic Board Surface, Appears Very Similar to iPhone 5S Board

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Is it the same baseband chip with LTE? I hope there's some closer analysis on this.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hmmm perhaps the rumors that the only diff is the antenna needed to work with China Mobile are true. And there is no 'cheap iphone'

We will know in a few days

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Couldn't this just mean that the logic board we saw months ago was for the 5c and not the 5s?

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Every day, with more and more parts being leaked, iFixit's job of disassembling an iPhone 5S/5C becomes less mandatory. With all the leaks we have seen so far fro these upcoming phones, one could literally remake the iPhone 5S/5C from the pictures shown.

This has to be the most leaked iPhone in the history of the iPhone's existence.

Sorry if i sound condescending, but this is getting ridiculous....

Tuesday will tell us if these rumors are rumors or if they are indeed legit news for the new phones...

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I've bought every new iPhone the day they were released since the original, I think, and you know... I'm just not positive the 5S (or 5C) is going to have what it takes to get me to line up on day 1. It just seems so good already, and with iOS 7, it's going to feel like a brand new device.

We shall see! And who am I kidding, I'll most likely get one. :rolleyes:

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
I've bought every new iPhone the day they were released since the original, I think, and you know... I'm just not positive the 5S (or 5C) is going to have what it takes to get me to line up on day 1. It just seems so good already, and with iOS 7, it's going to feel like a brand new device.

We shall see! And who am I kidding, I'll most likely get one. :rolleyes:

Lol, if you've bought the other six, my money is on you getting this one as well! Why break tradition? =P

PorterRocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Idaho
I've bought every new iPhone the day they were released since the original…

As have I. Based on what we know I feel the same way about the 5S… for now. We'll see what Tim shows us on Tuesday. However, since selling all my previous iPhones more than pays for a new iPhone every year, I'll probably be getting one no matter what. It feels like a free upgrade. :apple:

tonytiger13

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
I'm not sure what this means, but we're getting into the final hours before the main event.

I'm looking forward to the 10th
Couldn't this just mean that the logic board we saw months ago was for the 5c and not the 5s?

No, I think it means that Apple reworked the manufacturing process to be more efficient. Why manufacture different board shapes and layouts when you can just do the same. The back cases might also share manufacturing steps up to a certain point. Of course the chips that go on them would most likely be different. Guess we'll wait until the iFixit tear down to see if this is indeed the case.

----------

iPhone 5€ and iPhone 5$

iPhone 5¢ and iPhone 5$

ogremoustro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Every day, with more and more parts being leaked, iFixit's job of disassembling an iPhone 5S/5C becomes less mandatory. With all the leaks we have seen so far fro these upcoming phones, one could literally remake the iPhone 5S/5C from the pictures shown.

Tuesday will tell us if these rumors are rumors or if they are indeed legit news for the new phones...

The most leaked iPhone was the iPhone 4. A completely working phone was leaked.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
No, I think it means that Apple reworked the manufacturing process to be more efficient. Why manufacture different board shapes and layouts when you can just do the same. The back cases might also share manufacturing steps up to a certain point. Of course the chips that go on them would most likely be different. Guess we'll wait until the iFixit tear down to see if this is indeed the case.

----------

iPhone 5¢ and iPhone 5$

I thought I would direct you to this helpful and informative video regarding the new iPhone naming systems

http://youtu.be/1sIWez9HAbA

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

Ifixit's work is still indispensable. They often identify components that even the best leaked photos can't reveal because of poor resolution, and they often do levels of teardown you wouldn't see on a production board to reveal these parts. They also usually identify the parts beyond the visible part number shown, especially if it is a custom built chip with 3rd party IP in it, like a dialog PMIC.

They also do repair guides and analysis, which is their business model actually. Their partnership with Chipworks for die scans will never be trivialized by PCB leaks either.

It's a shame the SoC identifier isn't visible. That would answer questions about the 5S baseband chip in addition to the 5C SoC question.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013

Thanks for stating the obvious bro.

However, your first two statements are incorrect. We still don't know what type of CPU these bad boys will be running.

Do you recall the blogger/journalist that picked up an iPhone that an apple engineer forgot? He claimed he thought the apple guy left it for him to pick up so he could do a story on the new phone. Many Lolz were had over this.

Just a tip that may help you once you enter he workforce to avoid looking like a goose, You can state your opinions as fact but you should do some research first in case they are wrong.

Lets do a FaceTime on our new 5s phones sometime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.