Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Safari or Chrome? I only have an iphone 4and I can't compare them side by side. The only thing that I have about safari is that taping a "tab" is laggy on iphne 4.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
The only real advantage I have found with chrome on iPhone is that you are allowed as many tabs as you like. No limite to the amount of open tabs. This I found very usefull as I hate when I have to many tabs and safari starts closing some of my tabs to make room for the new tabs I have opened. I find myself using chrome way more.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As far as rendering pages they both use the same "engine" and Safari actually has access to the faster Nitro JavaScript engine, so overall it would be faster/better in terms of actual loading and use of content. As far as browser features, that's more or less a personal preference. With iOS 7 Safari will be improved in various respects too, like no tab limits and better full screen abilities, among other things.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Dolphin is fast. Not sure if it uses Safari's engine or not, but you can have multiple tabs, voice integration, integrated bookmarks with Firefox on a computer. Dolphin also has a shortcuts page (speed dial). This is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Dolphin.

pokenguyen

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
Why don't you try Mercury? Nice interface, adblock, gestures, syncing with Chrome, dowmload to Dropbox and more;)

Judith123

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2013
New York
As far as rendering pages they both use the same "engine" and Safari actually has access to the faster Nitro JavaScript engine, so overall it would be faster/better in terms of actual loading and use of content. As far as browser features, that's more or less a personal preference. With iOS 7 Safari will be improved in various respects too, like no tab limits and better full screen abilities, among other things.

I totally agree with you. Actually, they are defined by personal use. If people get used to one, they will suggest other people about that one. So, there is not too much difference. Each one has each advantage.:)

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I like safari and chrome. I tend to use dolphin as it has a private mode which saves clearing temp and historic files every so often, I'm a clean freak!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I like safari and chrome. I tend to use dolphin as it has a private mode which saves clearing temp and historic files every so often, I'm a clean freak!
Don't Safari and Chrome both have private modes as well?

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I prefer Chrome only because of the synching of bookmarks. I don't like Dolphin for some reason. It just doesn't do it for me. If it would import Chrome's bookmarks, maybe. But for whatever reason the GUI of Dolphin puts me off.

You can't sync bookmarks with Safari at all?

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
well, chrome is way better. but i think you should wait, there's a big safari update coming which might change your final decision.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
You can't sync bookmarks with Safari at all?

Yes you can sync them. On Mac with Safari, and on Windows with IE. It works quite well.

As for the original question:

In iOS 6 I prefer Chrome due to the unlimited tabs and tab switching interface. But on iOS 7 Safari is IMHO much better than Chrome including ulimited tabs, a fast tab switching/preview and easy access to bookmarks with large site icons. Also iCloud keychain works like a charm.

In terms of speed, yes Safari has Nitro, but Chrome has page preloading* which compensates for the speed difference.

*By default preloading is disabled on 3G/4G and only on for WiFi but you can change that in settings.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Yes you can sync them. On Mac with Safari, and on Windows with IE. It works quite well.

As for the original question:

In iOS 6 I prefer Chrome due to the unlimited tabs and tab switching interface. But on iOS 7 Safari is IMHO much better than Chrome including ulimited tabs, a fast tab switching/preview and easy access to bookmarks with large site icons. Also iCloud keychain works like a charm.

In terms of speed, yes Safari has Nitro, but Chrome has page preloading* which compensates for the speed difference.

*By default preloading is disabled on 3G/4G and only on for WiFi but you can change that in settings.

I know you can do this, but I was being sarcastic with the OP on this. It simply amazes me that people think that Google is the only one that can do anything at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.