Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Wild guess -- single crack, no dents or shatters. right?

Boss has had a couple of those swaps on various iPads and iPhones that our crew have broken. Seems that Apple does give them a little leeway when it is that slight. Probably only one time on any item (and it's replacements)

----------

Under Apple's definitions it's not a refurb.

They have three classes of items. New, remanufactured and refurbs.

New: everything just came hot off a factory line. Assembled and iOS installed. Random units QA tested. Most go into retail boxes with the appropriate accessories but a small cut could go into service boxes.

Remanufactured: Some things like the battery, display and enclosure came hot off the line. Some of the internal parts came off the line, some came out of dead swap units after extensive testing. retest to make sure there is no damage. install the OS and send it for service parts. Also referred to as 'like new'

Refurbs: Battery, display and enclosure are new. Everything else came out of a customer returned unit (so basically they take the return, pop off the outside, pop the guts into a new outside and add a fresh battery. Wipe and reinstall the OS. then test it to make sure they didn't break anything in the transfer). Package with appropriate accessories and send to online store for discounted sale.

Now go to a place like a carrier store and if you get a refurb you are getting an honest to goodness refurb. Might not have even been restored or even had the finger prints wiped off

----------

There are none. Trying to game the system generally just pisses them off even more.

Number one worse thing you can do is start the whole "do you know who I am, do you know how much I have bought it, I'm never buying anything from Apple again" type stuff. Stores are generally out of patience with that stuff and in a case where you are in the wrong like physical damage they won't budge. I've seen customers threaten to call the cops and have managers arrested, sue the company etc. One manager told the guy that now that he had invoked a lawsuit they could do nothing until the lawyers hashed it out. And he was banned from the store until Apple's lawyers said they had to let him come in, regardless of the reason for his visit. If he tried to come back before the lawyers called, he would be dragged out as a trespasser.

Go in expecting to pay with no fuss and if they do you a large, say thank you.

Source? Or are you just guessing like most people?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Source? Or are you just guessing like most people?

My boyfriend. Who has been a member of Apple retail staff (hired in as a genius) since 2002. And personal experiences at stores in 7 countries and 19 states in the US thanks to having a job that requires quite a bit of travel at times.

Funkdaddy420

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2014
Not much to add to the title really.

My iPad 4 that I bought in December was on a mic stand adapter and the whole thing fell down, the iPad itself face down. This resulted in a nasty hairline crack that spread across 2/3 of the screen.

I promptly went to the nearest Apple store, and talked to one of the guys with the headsets who took an appointment to the Genius Bar for me 30 minutes later.

After explaining what happened, I was out of the store with a new unit (most probably refurbished) in under 5 minutes. No fee whatsoever, even with no Apple Care plan. :D

Apple just made me a believer. :apple:

Apple let me buy applecare for my iPhone after I cracked the screen. For some reason I had been paying for outside insurance and my deductible was going to be $179. With the applecare I got a new phone and dropped the 20 a month insurance plan

Apple for life

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Lol @ all of you saying good things about Apple because the OP got lucky. I will never forget about the time that my iPhone's CPU died and, within warranty, they didn't accept to do anything with it because there were scratches on the back. But, for €217, we'll get you a new one they said. Just awesome.

And it certainly can't be that you just got unlucky?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
This is what makes Apple one of the best retailers out there,

Can you imagine any other company doing this?

Since its not an actual Apple policy lets not heap too much praise. Others have been turned away for the same.

Nice gesture…sure.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
my first and only Apple Store experience has been pretty great too. My MacBook Pro Retina had to get the whole display assembly, the battery, keyboard, housing replaced for a total of 680€ or so but they didnt charge me for it even though my warranty expired over 12 months ago. he went away to talk to the manager and came back with a 0€ bill :D:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.