Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustinGN

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
I thought I'd toss this out here, since I'm (literally) at my wits end, and preparing to file a complaint with my Attorney General over this...

I have an iPhone 5 I wanted unlocked before I went to the UK. I was willing to pony up the ETF with AT&T to have it done, and spent over twelve hours on the phone with them trying various solutions, all to no avail. I then tried gray-market unlocking services, and every single one failed as well, with all of them refunding my money and saying they can't unlock it. THEN AT&T's "Executive Customer Service Team" gave me a call in response to my Better Business Bureau complaint, promising to unlock my iPhone 5 free of charge...only to now claim, over two months since my initial attempt at unlocking the device that even they can't unlock it. Apple's stance from Day Zero is that they cannot and will not unlock the device.

SO! With the preface out of the way, let me post my phone's statistics:

IMEI: 013434003715857
Part Description: IPHONE 5 16GB BLACK
Product Version: 6.1.4
Coverage Status: Applecare Protection Plan
Coverage End Date: 20/09/14
First Unbrick Date: 11/07/13
Last Unbrick Date: 08/08/13
Next Tether Activation Policy Description: Unassigned factory default - Apple carriers only.
Lock Status: Locked

QUESTION: Anyone have an idea why nobody, from AT&T to Apple to gray-market unlockers, can unlock my iPhone 5? I doubt I'll hear back from AT&T regarding my complaint to the Attorney General (considering how they essentially ignored my BBB & FCC complaints), so at this point I just want my iPhone 5 unlocked, and I need some direction on what I can do to accomplish this.

Thanks folks.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You're 100% its an AT&T iphone 5?
What's the reason the grey market sellers are telling you they cannot unlock it? Something is really weird with this situation. You're sure its not a sprint iphone 5 or some other carriers?

JustinGN

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
You're 100% its an AT&T iphone 5?
What's the reason the grey market sellers are telling you they cannot unlock it? Something is really weird with this situation. You're sure its not a sprint iphone 5 or some other carriers?

This is a swap unit from Apple, but I bought my original iPhone 5 from the Apple Store on Day 1, contract locked to AT&T, Model A1428. It presented identical details as my swap unit, namely that UNASSIGNED FACTORY DEFAULT status. The only difference between my original iPhone 5 and the swap unit, is that the swap unit is the revised A1428 with T-Mobile bands (and the IMEI/Serial, obviously).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
This is a swap unit from Apple, but I bought my original iPhone 5 from the Apple Store on Day 1, contract locked to AT&T, Model A1428. It presented identical details as my swap unit, namely that UNASSIGNED FACTORY DEFAULT status. The only difference between my original iPhone 5 and the swap unit, is that the swap unit is the revised A1428 with T-Mobile bands (and the IMEI/Serial, obviously).

That's very weird man.
I'd go to Apple and explain them that AT&T is having problems unlocking the phone and your would like to get it replaced with another same thing AT&T locked iphone 5. Don't ask them for an unlocked unit cause they wont give you one. Just get a replacement AT&T iphone and take it from there.
Then purchase an imei unlock for $2 for it and you're good.
Sounds like something is really messed up with that phones serial or imei number.

JustinGN

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
That's very weird man.
I'd go to Apple and explain them that AT&T is having problems unlocking the phone and your would like to get it replaced with another same thing AT&T locked iphone 5. Don't ask them for an unlocked unit cause they wont give you one. Just get a replacement AT&T iphone and take it from there.
Then purchase an imei unlock for $2 for it and you're good.
Sounds like something is really messed up with that phones serial or imei number.

Maybe? From what I've dug up on GSM forums, it seems this status is a general one assigned to GSM swap units from Apple, but that info is three months old at this point. I mentioned my difficulties to Apple when I first went to their Genius Bar after my trip to the UK, and they shrugged it off and handed me the first new unit they had, free of charge; they also seemed clueless on my unlocking troubles, immediately reciting the "We don't unlock iPhones line" at the mention of what I was trying to do through AT&T.

Barring explaining this to a Genius Bar Employee (and it'll be a lengthy explanation, I wager), do I have any other options open to me?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Maybe? From what I've dug up on GSM forums, it seems this status is a general one assigned to GSM swap units from Apple, but that info is three months old at this point. I mentioned my difficulties to Apple when I first went to their Genius Bar after my trip to the UK, and they shrugged it off and handed me the first new unit they had, free of charge; they also seemed clueless on my unlocking troubles, immediately reciting the "We don't unlock iPhones line" at the mention of what I was trying to do through AT&T.

Barring explaining this to a Genius Bar Employee (and it'll be a lengthy explanation, I wager), do I have any other options open to me?

Not really much you can do.
Did you get a replacement from a UK Apple store?
That's why its not on AT&T's system and they cannot unlocked it and that's the reason AT&T grey market sellers cannot either.
Just tell them you made the mistake of getting it replaced in the UK and they gave you a UK locked iphone.
You want to have it replaced and just get a regural AT&T iphone 5 like you originally had.
I'm assuming you're still in the US correct? And you can bring it to a USA Apple store.

JustinGN

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Not really much you can do.
Did you get a replacement from a UK Apple store?
That's why its not on AT&T's system and they cannot unlocked it and that's the reason AT&T grey market sellers cannot either.
Just tell them you made the mistake of getting it replaced in the UK and they gave you a UK locked iphone.
You want to have it replaced and just get a regural AT&T iphone 5 like you originally had.
I'm assuming you're still in the US correct? And you can bring it to a USA Apple store.

It was swapped in the US for a replacement US phone. That's why I'm hesitant to get it swapped again, though - the ORIGINAL phone had this same status, despite being bought directly from the Apple Store on release day. It was new-in-retail-box, too! I was only in the UK for the first week of January, and swapped no devices there. The phone is 100% functional, just not unlockable.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
It was swapped in the US for a replacement US phone. That's why I'm hesitant to get it swapped again, though - the ORIGINAL phone had this same status, despite being bought directly from the Apple Store on release day. It was new-in-retail-box, too! I was only in the UK for the first week of January, and swapped no devices there. The phone is 100% functional, just not unlockable.

Oh I get it now.
I'd give another swap a try also.
I cant hurt.
This UNASSIGNED FACTORY DEFAULT status that you're saying.
You're sure its not already unlocked? Did you try using a Tmobile sim inside to see what happens? If its locked it wont let you connect, if its unlocked you'd be able to make calls using a tmobile nanosim.

JustinGN

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Oh I get it now.
I'd give another swap a try also.
I cant hurt.
This UNASSIGNED FACTORY DEFAULT status that you're saying.
You're sure its not already unlocked? Did you try using a Tmobile sim inside to see what happens? If its locked it wont let you connect, if its unlocked you'd be able to make calls using a tmobile nanosim.

Near-positive it's not unlocked. Other sites state the phone is still SIM LOCKED, though more dubious information says it's unlocked to iPhone carriers only (unlikely that's even possible). Again, the original, on-contract iPhone 5 had the same status message, and I confirmed in the UK it won't accept non-AT&T SIMS. When I had it swapped back in the US and found the same message, needless to say I was disheartened.

I'm weighing my options, but AT&T has refused to talk to me for weeks. Tomorrow, I file a complaint against AT&T with the Attorney General in MA for deceptive consumer practices (that is, giving me the run around for unlocking my iPhone, and now outright refusing it).

Is it covered by apple care +

As mentioned in the stats in the OP, it is.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Its up to you but I wouldn't chase AT&T any more or waste my time with any of those complains.
Seems like they are unable to unlock it also due to some technical reason maybe an issue with the particular imei or something that went wrong during the swap process.
I'd also give this a try below. Spend the $1 and see what it tells you what carrier its locked to if it is locked.
https://www.swiftunlocks.com/unlock/iphone-network-status-checker
Then try Apple again to get it swapped, I wouldn't bother with AT&T.
Best of luck to you.
AJ

JustinGN

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Its up to you but I wouldn't chase AT&T any more or waste my time with any of those complains.
Seems like they are unable to unlock it also due to some technical reason maybe an issue with the particular imei or something that went wrong during the swap process.
I'd also give this a try below. Spend the $1 and see what it tells you what carrier its locked to if it is locked.
https://www.swiftunlocks.com/unlock/iphone-network-status-checker
Then try Apple again to get it swapped, I wouldn't bother with AT&T.
Best of luck to you.
AJ

That report was copied and pasted directly from UnlockFusion, which gives identical results to SwiftUnlocks. As for me filing complaints against AT&T, well, that's a personal matter of pride (I don't take kindly to being bullied anymore, and I'll make their life a living hell to the best of my ability for them trying to ignore me).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I hear you, its the principal behind it but not sure if it will get you any results that's all I was saying.
I filled fcc complaints against them too, not much came out besides a phone call from them and nothing changed in the end:(

JustinGN

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
I hear you, its the principal behind it but not sure if it will get you any results that's all I was saying.
I filled fcc complaints against them too, not much came out besides a phone call from them and nothing changed in the end:(

You've been helpful, at least. When I tried posting this on the Apple forums, I was called a criminal and had my post deleted by a user named "deggie". Here, let me give you a bump.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I think your phone might be an unlocked phone already based on what it says, grab another sim card and try it out. This would explain why they can't unlock it.

Barneygumble47

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
N. Ireland
Not quite sure if this will help you but Apple stores in the UK only sell unlocked phones so if you wait until you get oer here walk into a store and get your phone swapped.

FYI the "Geniuses" here aren't very bright as a rule

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.