Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Viantef

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Just curious.

It seems like Twitter/Instagram is the big craze right now, however, Facebook still reports 1.15 billion monthly users. (Abet, Facebook owns Instagram)

Will Twitter overdominate Facebook?

Will another Social Network arise in the near future?

*Batman*

Contributor
Oct 2, 2012
Gotham City
I don't have a Facebook, and I don't want one. I wouldn't shed a tear if it went away. However, I doubt it will go away altogether.

I mean, after all, MySpace is still around. Does anyone really use it anymore?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I find it amusing that a guaranteed way to find anyone not on Facebook, is to ask a community of users a question about Facebook :D

Facebook seems to have capitalized on adding features and it's own app store, and I would imagine this is a major reason how it will avoid becoming irrelevant in the way that MySpace did (and FB didn't allow glitter graphics).

Facebook is also magnitudes bigger than MySpace (or any other social network) is/was. The only way I see it dying is by it becoming unusable due to feature creep. Even if people's privacy continues to get invaded I doubt it would take down Facebook.

zedzded

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
I don't know, it's a pretty powerful tool. I don't think it will disappear, but it will change over the years. It will morph into something else.

Viantef

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
I don't know, it's a pretty powerful tool. I don't think it will disappear, but it will change over the years. It will morph into something else.

That sucks, I'm 16 and I began writing my first few lines of code on my Social Network today. I have a vision of eventually building, what I'd like to call the Global Brain.

Big Data/Semantic Web/Peer to Peer searches. It won't be the next big thing, but rather "the next big platform".

Ninja edit: The next big thing will be built on the next big platform.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
That sucks, I'm 16 and I began writing my first few lines of code on my Social Network today. I have a vision of eventually building, what I'd like to call the Global Brain.

Haha, I like it.
What are you using to build your site (what's your stack?).

I've often thought that the next big social site will really pull back on the sharing side of things, or somehow make the social aspect less 'in-your-face'. It has been shown that Facebook does make people particularly envious of other people they are friends with based on what they post. So I have often thought to counter this that a site should be more about yourself and less about sharing so much that people feel bad about themselves.

Viantef

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Haha, I like it.

I'm using Python(Django), MySQL, with Heroku as my launch server.

I hear something called Scala is really fast, so I'm looking into learning that.

Viantef

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Haha, I like it.

I've often thought that the next big social site will really pull back on the sharing side of things, or somehow make the social aspect less 'in-your-face'. It has been shown that Facebook does make people particularly envious of other people they are friends with based on what they post. So I have often thought to counter this that a site should be more about yourself and less about sharing so much that people feel bad about themselves.

I completely agree, and that's the Social Network I eventually hope to build.

The semantic Web is far more open, transparent and personalized. It’s being transformed into a place where the same content means different things to different people.

I'd hope to build something that looks not just at the content in its search index or feed, but also at who is asking the question or viewing the feed, where, and when. In a sense, it matches detailed knowledge of the user's profile with an understanding of the search, in order to deliver the best possible information.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I don't quite understand the hatred for facebook from some people. Yes there is loads of private info available for anyone to see, but the info is provided by the user. Without inputting your information, there is nothing really to worry about. It's a great way to interact with friends and family.

That being said, I do not like the over used photo posting that is the big craze nowadays. Newsfeeds are being dominated with pictures, especially cross-posting between instagram and facebook. I hate that I constantly see the same pictures on both sites. It's redundant and unnecessary.

Also, it is simple to hide stuff that you don't care about (such as friends that you're really not close friends with). So those people that posts useless day to day posts can easily be hidden.

DowdyFick

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
Years? I am going to have to put up with idiots asking me if i spread out my private life to the world at large for another couple of YEARS?! Personally i hope facebook, twitter and all that other useless junk dies much more quickly than that...... As you may have guessed already, i don't use any of that stuff.....

Seems like it's just your ignorance that is preventing you from using this "junk." Twitter, not so much Facebook is an extremely useful tool. I don't know what you do for a living, but I'd encourage you to make a Twitter and keep up with your industry. Perhaps your opinion may change.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I don't use any of the social networks, apart from Macrumors of course!
I don't think Facebook will die, just diminish in popularity. Something new will come along as it always does.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Years? I am going to have to put up with idiots asking me if i spread out my private life to the world at large for another couple of YEARS?! Personally i hope facebook, twitter and all that other useless junk dies much more quickly than that...... As you may have guessed already, i don't use any of that stuff.....

I hate FB but find Twitter extremely useful for a RSS replacement and to keep tabs on my industry.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Facebook - Eventually, yes... but then again I think we're also seeing the first example of a social networking site that is so ingrained in society that it might very well stay around forever so who knows.

Twitter, I don't know. Twitter is more and more about communicating information rather than networking so it could easily stay around forever as an alternative to things like RSS.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Sounds like some people underestimate Facebook. It's an app eco-system as much as the iTunes store is, and that alone makes it a big deal to a lot of people. I think it will continue to grow like crazy, and into different online industries. I wouldn't be surprised if it gains a retail branch, or online store (think Amazon or eBay).

I also would think their video client could become much more popular if they dedicate themselves to it, and who knows, you could see a Facebook OS sooner than later.

Facebook is a monster and it will only continue to get bigger and bigger. It is not going to be declining anytime soon.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The only way I see Facebook dying is when the rest of the world does. When World War 3 breaks out because we've all run out of oil and things have gotten really desperate.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Facebook - Eventually, yes... but then again I think we're also seeing the first example of a social networking site that is so ingrained in society that it might very well stay around forever so who knows.

Twitter, I don't know. Twitter is more and more about communicating information rather than networking so it could easily stay around forever as an alternative to things like RSS.

This is how I see it and how a lot of people that I know use it. I like it a lot more than Facebook and I actually don't really use it as a social network, but more of one of my news aggregate feeds.

Facebook has definitely lost its lustre here. I'm more hooked on Twitter and Instagram

You and me both. I am more so on Twitter than Instagram, but I yup, those are my top two also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.