Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
The key thing about iTunes Radio is that anybody who just buys an iPhone can walk out of the store, tap the music icon and start streaming music.

And by "anybody" you mean the roughly 5% of the world's population that happens to live in the USA. ;)

The rest of us 95% will need some other options.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
No way will I ever pay for this if I'm paying for my Live account. I never even knew they had a music service. I'll stick with Spotify.

I think I read in a different article that on an Xbox 360/One we can access free artist-based radio with ads (like Pandorda) for ten hours a month with an Xbox Live subscription. However, that doesn't include the ability to listen to "on-demand" music (like Spotify). That does require the subscription.
Also, we can't get the free radio on iOS.

Wonder if they'll adjust the price to compete with iTunes Match/iRadio service.

$10 is a lot per month

The thing is, the services in iTunes Radio ($25 per year) aren't really comparable to Xbox Music ($10 per month). They're just different, just like Pandora (more radio-based with limited control over content) vs Spotify (on-demand content) can't be compared.
In the same sense, Pandora at $39 per year and Spotify at $10 per month are priced similarly to this strategy.

In short, don't expect Xbox Music to adjust price, as they are already competitively priced with Spotify and company.

Last edited:

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Look at that open weave. Bitch got no class.

LMAO! Please explain this random comment!

----------

This seems a bit lame.

If I pay for Xbox Gold I'd expect to be able to stream for that price to be honest/

I came into this thread/story thinking cool, MS adding more apps to iOS then I read your post and got pissed because you are right! I pay for XBOX Live and now they want you to pay extra for this? Crazy!

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
The best part of the article for me was that they have an Android app now!

I've had a Zune Pass subscription for years, and now I can use that (it appears) to listen to xbox music content. No extra charge...Nice. :)

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
And by "anybody" you mean the roughly 5% of the world's population that happens to live in the USA. ;)

The rest of us 95% will need some other options.

It's not going to stay US-only. I suspect we'll hear more about international availability later today.

The fact that iTunes Match customers don't have to listen to ads makes me think that the Match deals include some terms about ITR (but it could be the other way around - Apple could have signed new ITR deals that include terms about Match).

Apple is pretty good about international availability. I can't think of many online stores that are available in as many countries as iTunes.

Check out the availability of music on Google Play, for instance. It's basically the US + Australia + Western Europe. Amazon MP3 is available in even fewer countries. Nobody comes close to iTunes when it comes to purchasing songs (there's a map at the bottom the table). For example, neither Google or Amazon serve South America, but they've got a full iTunes experience (including Match).

If you're talking about streaming, Spotify isn't much more widely available than Match. Pandora is only available in the US, Australia and NZ.

iTunes Radio will leave the US quickly. I'd imagine we'd see it in Europe at least by the end of the year.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
That sucks! I paid for iTunes Match here in America but will be spending the next year in UK - so no iTunes Radio for me? That's bullsh@t!!!!

Welcome to my world.

Anything outside the US gets a second class experience at best.

To my knowledge the UK still gets more stuff than for example Germany.

You should be glad to not stay in Germany if we're talking about countries where you'd expect better and more care by US companies.

Glassed Silver:mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.