Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008
I don't think this article is about product designers.

And isn't that the point of just what is happening at Apple?
iOS 7 is all about design. I've heard very little about functionality.

If this is what all the worry about losing Steve Jobs was about, it seems well founded right now, doesn't it?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Has Apple shown up at such conferences in the past?

Apparently this year Ive was given some special award and accepted it via videotaped message. I don't even care whether someone from Apple was there or not. It's just weird to see a company like Microsoft sponsoring an industrial design conference and not Apple. Maybe there were things Apple didn't do because of Steve but he's gone now so maybe a different approach is in order. Now I'm not suggesting Apple should start participating in trade shows, but I do think they have a brand and perception issue that needs to be attended to.

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
Adding more to the design team could become a problem. Like a symphony orchestra, doubling the number of strings, horn, and percussion could easily overwhelm the "conductor".

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I personally think Apple needs to really start focusing on their brand, so this could potentially be good. Not necessarily because of their own doing, more so a victim of their own success. Apple has become SO successful, SO popular, that they've become the target of endless sensationalism. They really need to get the brand image and reputation back in perspective.

I don't quite know how they can do that, without the sensationalism once again attacking. But thats why they need to hire some smart people ;). Its kind of sad, but American society just loves to tear down their biggest accomplishments.

It just bewilders me. The most successful company on Earth, the most envied, the most copied, is a company born in America. And yet Americans are the most hostile towards the company. I'm perplexed that it isn't a source of pride for America, rather than attacks. Look at South Korea, they're PROUD of Samsung. Whether or not they should be is a different story ;). But at least they look at Samsung and are very proud of the companies position. Americans on the other hand....yea we have a society that loves to root for underdogs and destroy Goliath. I guess thats why tabloids and people like TMZ can be successful here :rolleyes:

Brand image is a function of products, not marketing gimmickry.

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London

If this is what all the worry about losing Steve Jobs was about, it seems well founded right now, doesn't it?

You need to pay attention more. There's tons of functionality...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Really? Guess you and I heard different things. What functionality specifically didn't you hear about? Is it functionality you'd have under Jobs and Forstall?

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Put it into innovation, not marketing

I mean, if this is the "new Apple", to hypermarket something Steve Jobs created, then this will seal its doom.

If Apple can't realize how much they have failed by offering 6 versions of the same thing then no amount of advertising is going to save them. Even iOS 7 is just smoke and mirrors as there is no real innovation in that product, just bringing it up to modern standards already set by Microsoft and Google.

I guess Tim Cook can't drive an era of innovation so he wants to bank on creating an era of nostalgic advertising reminding people of when they used to love Apple.

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Adding more to the design team could become a problem. Like a symphony orchestra, doubling the number of strings, horn, and percussion could easily overwhelm the "conductor".

This is not the design team you are looking for.

They are talking about marketeers. People that write advertising copy, build marketing websites. They won't be reporting to Jonny.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I'm not sure who is running Apple branding and PR right now but they suck at it. One case in point: IDSA (Industrial Design Society of America) held its annual conference this year in August. This conference is a big deal and well known and respected designers attend/speak at it. What tech companies were included in the list of event sponsors? One would assume a company like Apple, which is pretty famous for its design culture. But no, Apple was no where to be found. However, Microsoft, Google, Samsung and LG were.

Has Apple been a sponsor of that event in the past?

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
i mean, if this is the "new apple", to hypermarket something steve jobs created, then this will seal its doom.

If apple can't realize how much they have failed by offering 6 versions of the same thing then no amount of advertising is going to save them. Even ios 7 is just smoke and mirrors as there is no real innovation in that product, just bringing it up to modern standards already set by microsoft and google.

I guess tim cook can't drive an era of innovation so he wants to bank on creating an era of nostalgic advertising reminding people of when they used to love apple.

troll much?

nbuubu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Most of Apple's consumer-facing ads are still strategized, ideated, and produced by Media Arts Lab in Los Angeles. Which is the offshoot of TBWA/Chiat-Day that Jobs insisted move outside the main building for many reasons (secrecy being a big one ... didn't help that Chiat also had Playstation and Apple at the same time in the same building back in the mid-2000s).

All this means is Apple is moving more and more of their advertising in-house and presumably away from Media Arts Lab. Or they have new products in the pipeline that they want to have their own in-house teams working on.

Jobs had a good relationship with Chiat head Lee Clow (who is a legend in the business and created the 1984 spot and pushed for it to be on the superbowl despite the Apple board not wanting it). With Jobs sadly gone, that tie to Chiat is diminished so this move isn't a surprise.

I'm obviously in that world, and I can't think of many top-flight creatives who would want to go in-house for any company, even Apple. It's just a career limiter to spend too much time in one place, and the best creatives almost always jump ship quickly to build as diverse a portfolio as possible.

The article also raises a very good point that creatives would shy away from Apple because it is already massive and iconic and someone new coming in would have little room to create work with their own thumbprint.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Brand image is a function of products, not marketing gimmickry.

Tell that to the Think Different campaign :rolleyes:

Brand image is a function of everything. The total is greater than the sum of its parts. Steve said it best himself. "We come up with a product, and then we try to tell everyone about it."

However this has nothing to do with products. Apple produces some of the highest quality and most satisfying consumer products of any industry. They need to get a handle on the unfounded toxic commentary (some being perpetrated by envious competitors) and put things back in perspective. Just like Think Different did 15 years ago.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Tell that to the Think Different campaign :rolleyes:

Brand image is a function of everything. The total is greater than the sum of its parts. Steve said it best himself. "We come up with a product, and then we try to tell everyone about it."

However this has nothing to do with products. Apple produces some of the highest quality and most satisfying consumer products of any industry. They need to get a handle on the unfounded toxic commentary (some being perpetrated by envious competitors) and put things back in perspective. Just like Think Different did 15 years ago.

Yeah, okay.. suppose Palm had "Think Different" ad campaign? Would that have saved them?.. The PRODUCT has to be there first. All ad campaigns do is create buzz for media talkers.

If the product isn't there, you have bupkis.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
My issue with Apple's marketing (and many other companies') is that they show their commercials so often! Sometimes, it feels like I see the same commercial every commercial break. Heck, sometimes it feels sometimes twice in the same commercial break. So my advice is: spend on quality, not quantity.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
Most of Apple's consumer-facing ads are still strategized, ideated, and produced by Media Arts Lab in Los Angeles. Which is the offshoot of TBWA/Chiat-Day that Jobs insisted move outside the main building for many reasons (secrecy being a big one ... didn't help that Chiat also had Playstation and Apple at the same time in the same building back in the mid-2000s).

All this means is Apple is moving more and more of their advertising in-house and presumably away from Media Arts Lab. Or they have new products in the pipeline that they want to have their own in-house teams working on.

Jobs had a good relationship with Chiat head Lee Clow (who is a legend in the business and created the 1984 spot and pushed for it to be on the superbowl despite the Apple board not wanting it). With Jobs sadly gone, that tie to Chiat is diminished so this move isn't a surprise.

I'm obviously in that world, and I can't think of many top-flight creatives who would want to go in-house for any company, even Apple. It's just a career limiter to spend too much time in one place, and the best creatives almost always jump ship quickly to build as diverse a portfolio as possible.

The article also raises a very good point that creatives would shy away from Apple because it is already massive and iconic and someone new coming in would have little room to create work with their own thumbprint.

You neglected to mention that it was the cinema giant Ridley Scott that directed this commercial and had an iconic hand in it.

And yes designers would shy away from Apple's in house work because of corporate limitations and less room to grow creatively. However this is mainly for their graphic and visual communication needs. Working in-house is far more restrictive than working from the outside.

I suspect Jony will jump ship one day to get a breath of fresh air and challenge himself in other endeavors. He has to be itching to push creative boundaries outside of Apple.

----------

I'd imagine it will be extremely difficult to get this position at Apple. You almost need to have won a design award to even be given a chance. Competition for these roles will be tough.

Not a design award but a strong creative background and portfolio is key. That is what clients look for when it comes to a proven track record. Not awards.

----------

I'm not sure who is running Apple branding and PR right now but they suck at it. One case in point: IDSA (Industrial Design Society of America) held its annual conference this year in August. This conference is a big deal and well known and respected designers attend/speak at it. What tech companies were included in the list of event sponsors? One would assume a company like Apple, which is pretty famous for its design culture. But no, Apple was no where to be found. However, Microsoft, Google, Samsung and LG were.

Apple really needs to do a better job on the brand front, needs to do a better job of selling the company. Of course this isn't Cook's strength so maybe he needs to hire someone for that role. Or maybe that's why he hired the former YSL CEO.

----------

I think this article is about advertising, not iOS or hardware designers.

IDSA is a huge deal and reminds me of the AIGA ( American institute for graphic artists) that sponsor or throw seminar events. I think AIGA one a big one recently in NYC? Maybe Boston.

But you're correct that the article is referring to internal advertisement staff growth. If Apple wants to fix their brand, they need to do one thing and that is to get off their high horse and be accessible to trade shows or design seminar/forums.

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
I honestly don't get all this negativity around apple lately.

Perhaps they should make a giant phone, bloat it with useless features, to get back the love of some...

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I agree, not a positive thing based on what I want Apple to be.

Call me nostalgic but I wish Apple were more like it was around 2005-2007. I appreciate their new products, but I liked the size, the intimacy, the excitement, and the purpose behind the company.

Unfortunately, ur describing the SJ apple. It's a different company now.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
An in-house design group of 500-600 people.
That's insane.

If we are talking advertising/wedesign/graphics design 50-100 really talented people should be more than enough to handle a company the size of Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.