Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beelzebomb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
Hi,
Bit of advice please, maybe on alternative UK suppliers for RAM other than Mr Memory.

I have upgraded the RAM to it's max (2GB total) but one ram supplied by Mr Memory keeps failing (kernel panics, loud fan, sudden screen freeze followed by loud fan & 3 beeps when trying to log on again etc etc) each time the problem is rectified by inserting the original ram back in place of the faulty stick (lucky I kept them both).

It's been replaced 4 times now in about an 8 wk period.

Any thoughts or advice? I'm loathe to send back the working 1GB ram, but is it possibly that the sticks are now obviously not matched properly?

Thanks

honam1021

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Hi,
Bit of advice please, maybe on alternative UK suppliers for RAM other than Mr Memory.

I have upgraded the RAM to it's max (2GB total) but one ram supplied by Mr Memory keeps failing (kernel panics, loud fan, sudden screen freeze followed by loud fan & 3 beeps when trying to log on again etc etc) each time the problem is rectified by inserting the original ram back in place of the faulty stick (lucky I kept them both).

It's been replaced 4 times now in about an 8 wk period.

Any thoughts or advice? I'm loathe to send back the working 1GB ram, but is it possibly that the sticks are now obviously not matched properly?

Thanks
You didn't tell me the machine type, so I assume you have a SP 1.6 Power Mac G5.
Make sure they're installed in the correct slots, this explains all:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2248

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
I only have two DDR2 2GB modules, if I put one in will reckonise the 2GB, or will it not work?

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Would 2x2GB modules work like they did in the c2d imacs, having only 2GB detected?

Wait, hang on a sec - are you on about a PowerMac or an iMac now?

If it's an iMac G5 - you don't need a matching pair, although you will benefit from it to a certain degree. Whether you'll be able to notice the difference I don't know.

The pre-iSight models take 2GB, the iSight's take 2.5GB.

beelzebomb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
So anyway, back to my original post: it's an Imac G5 with a model identifier as Powermac8,2 with a powerpc G5 processor. I know it can only accept up to 2gb memory.

Mr Memory say that they have tested each module I return and can find no fault, yet my hardware tests & Rember find faults, and googling the issues that prompt me to test the hardware suggest memory issues.

Are Me Memory known for supplying sub-standard RAM? Putting the original RAM stick back in & everything works fine, so clearly no slot issues as Mr Memory are suggesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.