Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At today's iPhone media event, Apple executives announced that iOS 7 will be released to the public on Wednesday September 18, two days before the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c are released.

Apple SVP Craig Federighi once again highlighted iOS 7's major redesign and the numerous new features it includes. He touched on Control Center, a revamped Notification Center, AirDrop, iTunes Radio, and new multitasking capabilities.

ios71.jpg
"iOS 7 is completely redesigned with an entirely new user interface and over 200 new features, so it's like getting a brand new device, but one that will still be instantly familiar to our users," said Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering. "Next month we'll be shipping our 700 millionth iOS device, and we're excited about what our hundreds of thousands of iOS developers are doing to bring great new features to their apps."
Apple also announced that iOS 7 will support the new 64-bit technologies introduced with the iPhone 5s, with all built-in apps re-engineered for 64-bit and iOS 7 will support both 32-bit and 64-bit apps.

The OS has been built to complement both the iPhone 5c's colors and the new internal capabilities of the iPhone 5s, including its Touch ID fingerprint sensor and camera features like automatic image stabilization, Burst Mode, and Slo-Mo 120 fps video.

iOS 7 will be available on September 18 for the iPhone 4 and later, the iPad 2 and later, the iPad mini, and the fifth-generation iPod touch.

Article Link: Public Launch of iOS 7 Set for September 18

Letni

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Ohio
Too bad the stated date is not a Friday.. More than likely Tim meant to say OCTOBER since there is a Friday the 18th next month..

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Apple has promised that "iOS 7 will quickly become the world's most popular operating system."

Soon we'll find out how quickly quickly is.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Uh, FRIDAY, Sept 18th? Sept 18th isn't a Friday. Did he mean actually Sept 18th (Wed) or Oct 18th (Fri)?

*EDIT*
Sorry, noticed someone else posted this before I did.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
You can preorder the 5C on the 13th. They must be shipping on the 20th then, the same day as the 5S goes on sale in stores.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
So when do devs get it? I would think we need time to work on our apps and publish them before public release.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I think it will come this afternoon...........the fact they didn't mention it doesn't mean they won't reléase it early for the DEVs

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Then why hasn't the Apple Developer Portal gone down yet?

I don't know, I don't work for Apple..........just a hunch based on past history. We only have to wait until tonight to find out if I am wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.