Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Guys,

I have no hope that Apple will raise the storage for the iPads this year so that the cheapest model would become 32GB. Just see the content of the today's iPhone event - they start at 16GB and the same price.

Now, if the iPad mini 2 gets released without a retina display combined with the measly 16GB storage it will be a hard hit below the waist. If this happens I won't be getting a new iPad this year.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I can totally see your point of your cool story, but today's announcement doesn't really mean anything for the iPad since it wasn't even mentioned. I'd wait to see what they had to offer.

willdog123

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2013
Australia
Yeah, really disappointed that apple didn't make 16Gb standard in the iphone today

No chance the ipad is gonna get 32Gb standard now:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Now, if the iPad mini 2 gets released without 64 bit A7 processor it will be a hit below the waist

There, fixed it for you. :)

You are worrying about the wrong thing. You already know that it will still be a base of 16GB of RAM. Iphone 5 release told you that.

Rumors point strongly to no retina display this year (think about IPad 2).

The only real question is will the mini 2 be future-proofed with a 64 bit processor.

If it isn't, that will be the real below the belt thwacking. I suspect that 32 bit Ipad/Iphones will start being the bastard-step child almost right away, and that most (good) new apps released will quickly not be available for 32 bit machines. Sorry, not powerful enough.

Unfortunately, Apple has a predictable release pattern, and I suspect the mini 2 will have the A6X, and the Ipad 5 will have the A7 (or maybe A7X).

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Don't really care, ill just get the 32 or 64 gb with cellular anyway. Id still say its a chance they will launch it with 32 as standard since they have the 128 option.

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
The only real question is will the mini 2 be future-proofed with a 64 bit processor.
future proofing without a retina display is impossible. I guess we have different needs and I don't think I'm worrying about the wrong thing. I always say to my mates if they want something to be future proofed for the next few years they must get a device with a high resolution display. High resolution displays will be a standard pretty soonish.

Speaking about future proofing in general, I wouldn't buy a phone or tablet which is now 2 year old technology (basically, what the present iPad mini is). And I think it's not realistical to think one can expect to get more than 2 years from a tablet/smartphone because the technology inside them quickly developing.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
There, fixed it for you. :)

You are worrying about the wrong thing. You already know that it will still be a base of 16GB of RAM. Iphone 5 release told you that.

Rumors point strongly to no retina display this year (think about IPad 2).

If it isn't, that will be the real below the belt thwacking. I suspect that 32 bit Ipad/Iphones will start being the bastard-step child almost right away, and that most (good) new apps released will quickly not be available for 32 bit machines. Sorry, not powerful enough.

Unfortunately, Apple has a predictable release pattern, and I suspect the mini 2 will have the A6X, and the Ipad 5 will have the A7 (or maybe A7X).

are you kidding? give it 18 months at the minimum for fully 64 bit optimized apps to appear. most people i talk to get ipads for their kids and most of the games don't need 64 bit

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
While memory is getting cheaper, new features like retina displays, A7 processors, fingerprint scanners, and better cameras aren't getting any cheaper. They are forced to choose to keep the product within their acceptable margins. RAM and storage capacity are clearly not priorities given all of the other hardware they need to include to keep pace with the industry.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
with the app sizes they need to increase the size

bought a 16GB ipad 4 last night for my 6 year old and it's 4.7GB free after i installed most of his games. not all either

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
are you kidding? give it 18 months at the minimum for fully 64 bit optimized apps to appear. most people i talk to get ipads for their kids and most of the games don't need 64 bit

Yeah, but in 30 months, I am thinking the A6 CPU will be left out of new app development. I want my tablets to last a bit longer then Apple wants them to last.:D

----------

future proofing without a retina display is impossible.
True. I guess I missed that, since Apple does't believe in scaling resolutions in Apps.
And I think it's not realistical to think one can expect to get more than 2 years from a tablet/smartphone because the technology inside them quickly developing.
My kids are more patient then me, and are not frustrated by the very slow response of the Ipad 1 (shouldn't have updated to IOs5, which made it unusable to me).

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Yeah, but in 30 months, I am thinking the A6 CPU will be left out of new app development. I want my tablets to last a bit longer then Apple wants them to last.:D
30 months is too long a time. In the best case, in 24 months your new iPad 5 will be as outdated as the iPad 2 is now, and in 30 months it will be completely outdated.

I don't mean your iPad will suddenly stop running. If all you do is web browsing, email sending and book reading, I guess the iPad 2 will be good enough even in 2015.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.