Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the announcement of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c today at its media event, Apple has made changes to its AppleCare+ service program for the iPhone, including raising service fees for accidental damage from $49 to $79, with the cost for the plan itself remaining at $99 to provide two years of coverage from the device purchase date.

Apple is also expanding availability of AppleCare+ beyond the United States, Canada, and Japan, with the program now also being offered in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Austria, Germany, France, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, and the UK.

applecare_plus_ios_7.jpg
Addtionally, Apple is now offering AppleCare+ coverage for the existing iPod touch and iPod classic models, and will also be dropping service protection for its "Earpods" headphones from the program.

applecare+new_ipod-800x254.png
AppleCare+ originally launched in 2011 and covered accidental iPhone damage for the first time for all iPhone models. Late last month, a report surfaced that AppleCare+ would be expanding to Europe.

Article Link: Apple Increases AppleCare+ iPhone Service Charges, Adds iPods, Expands to New Countries

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
For those who already have it on an iPhone 5, it would still just be $49 to replace though, right?

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
For those who already have it on an iPhone 5, it would still just be $49 to replace though, right?

Yup. It's gone once you use up the two accidental replacements and you have to renew, then only will it become the $79. Glad I have one $49 replacement left.

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
United States
It may be less expensive than getting two phones replaced, but still not worth it if you actually take care of your phone.

Especially not worth it after the last two times I tried to get a NON-incidental damage problem (i.e., defective hardware) covered under Apple Care+. Not sure if it's Cook, but Apple has been super stingy the last several years with the way they deal with hardware issues.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
It may be less expensive than getting two phones replaced, but still not worth it if you actually take care of your phone.

Especially not worth it after the last two times I tried to get a NON-incidental damage problem (i.e., defective hardware) covered under Apple Care+. Not sure if it's Cook, but Apple has been super stingy the last several years with the way they deal with hardware issues.

Warranties, accident coverage, etc are never worth it if you end up never using it. But, it's peace of mind that even if I only drop my phone once it's still cheaper than the $229 replacement fee. If you use it twice, the value of it increases big time.

I spent $250 on AppleCare for my MBP. Never had to use it. So technically that $250 was wasted and not worth it.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
And now it's not worth it.

Extended warranties are always a rip.

----------

Warranties, accident coverage, etc are never worth it if you end up never using it. But, it's peace of mind that even if I only drop my phone once it's still cheaper than the $229 replacement fee. If you use it twice, the value of it increases big time.

I spent $250 on AppleCare for my MBP. Never had to use it. So technically that $250 was wasted and not worth it.

Your money wasn't technically wasted, it was really wasted. All extended warranties are grossly overpriced. I get more peace of mind knowing that I haven't wasted the money.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Your money wasn't technically wasted, it was really wasted. All extended warranties are grossly overpriced. I get more peace of mind knowing that I haven't wasted the money.

It's less wasted than for those who don't get the student discount and have to pay the full $349!

DrFreeze21

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2011
Maybe I missed it, but with the iPhone 5 being discontinued, does this have any impact on our AppleCare+ replacements? Meaning, if I have an issue with my 5, if I have to pay the $49 for the replacement, will I still get a refurb 5 or new 5? Not a 5c or 5s?

edizzlevr6

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
Yup. It's gone once you use up the two accidental replacements and you have to renew, then only will it become the $79. Glad I have one $49 replacement left.

similarily, does that mean that you will still get an iPhone 5 as a replacement?

I read the 5 is being discountinued. You don't think the accidental replacement will be a 5C right? That would blow

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
Funny how they didn't 'announce' that today,haha! Guess a lot of people have been dropping their phones.

Extended warranty is what is is, value and piece of mind for some, a waste of money for others. I'm not 100% for or against it, and do have it on some products (apple or other), all depends on the product, cost, and how I end up using it.

Too bad we can't get an automatic 2 year warranty as they were forced to give in Europe!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Not sure if it's Cook, but Apple has been super stingy the last several years with the way they deal with hardware issues.

Not really sure what you mean by stingy. Unless you mean that they stopped just handing everyone with a complaint a replacement but now fix what is actually wrong by replacing broken speakers, cameras, batteries etc. And not replacing stuff that is software or carrier issues. Which has always been in the terms you agreed to they just hadn't been enforcing it.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
You can't renew.

And the article is wrong. It's one additional year, not two.

It's still $49 for those that have AppleCare Plus (before) even when this new plan goes into effect. That's the point I'm making. But if I break my iPhone 5 and they ask me if I want AppleCare Plus. Then I will say yes and I will then be entitled to pay the $79 now.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
It's still $49 for those that have AppleCare Plus (before) even when this new plan goes into effect. That's the point I'm making. But if I break my iPhone 5 and they ask me if I want AppleCare Plus. Then I will say yes and I will then be entitled to pay the $79 now.

If you break your phone and you do not already have AC+ on it, you will not be offered AC+. You will pay the replacement cost of about $229 or possibly less if they repair it in-store.

Last edited:

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
You can only purchase AC+ at the time of, or within 30 days of phone purchase. Phone must have no physical damage at the time of AC+ purchase. You will not qualify for AC+ after physical damage has occurred.
Let me break this down to you.

I break my iPhone 5. I take it to Apple. Apple asks me do you want this iPhone 5 to be replaced. I say yes. They bring me out a replacement for $229. They ask me right when they give me a replacement whether I want AppleCare Plus or not. I say "Yes" or "No". I'm covered for a year with two accidental damages. If I use up my two accidental damages. I can repurchase AppleCare Plus again to get the two accidental damages when I go in for a replacement iPhone 5.

This happens. Don't tell me otherwise because I've had my iPhone 5 break twice already.

Jesus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.