Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolcatdaddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
I've run into a really odd little issue and am hoping that someone here has found a workaround. I've done quite a bit of searching on the web and haven't turned up anything on it.

I've been ripping several dvds with Handbrake so I can use them with my Apple TV. I've got a group of about a dozen dvd-r discs that I made of home vhs and Video 8 tapes with a Samsung DVD-R130. This is an older, inexpensive stand-alone dvd recorder that I had for a few months for some different projects I was working on at the time.

All of the dvds recorded with this unit have a chapter stop inserted into the video at every minute mark. When playing it on a "normal" dvd stand-alone or computer player, it's just fine.

However, if I rip the dvd, there's a "glitch" in the sound and video momentarily at each one of these chapter stops. The sound goes out and the video goes to blocks, but only for a second. It's very annoying.

I have other dvd-rs recorded on standalone recorders from Magnavox, Panasonic and other manufacturers and they all do just fine in Handbrake.

Anyone else run into this?

I've tried several different things in Handbrake, including ripping to formats other than m4v, and the result is always the same. The problem seems to only affect dvd-r discs made on this particular model of recorder.

Some of the tapes I dubbed with this recorder are deteriorating and I don't think I can get them to play again, so any help is appreciated.

geraldfleck

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Glad to see someone else post this problem.

I am having the exact same problem. VHS copied to DVD using a Samsung recorder, plays fine (no glitches), rips fine (no errors), but the resulting m4v file has a glitch on the minute every minute.

I tried tweaking some Handbrake settings (I'm using the AppleTV3 preset), including de-selecting "create chapter markers," but to no avail.

Any ideas? Would a different ripping software work? Some setting we can change?

Thanks for any help.

geraldfleck

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
SOLUTION:

After tweaking every setting I could think of (not to mention running the DVD through other ripping programs), I finally used MacTheRipper to extract the title of the disc before running it through Handbrake. I can't say why, but the resulting Handbrake file has NO glitches. It takes a little longer (though not too bad...only 10 minutes for a 2-hr DVD in MacTheRipper), but it appears to work this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.