Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the introduction of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c today, Apple has adjusted the various combinations of LTE band support for the upcoming hardware. Each of the new iPhones actually comes in four different models supporting different bands.

iphone_5s_5c.jpg
In the United States, a single model of each line supports both AT&T and Verizon, as well as T-Mobile, with support for Sprint coming in a separate model that is also compatible with KDDI and Softbank in Japan.

For UK customers, the expanded LTE band support also means that the new iPhone models will be compatible with Vodafone's new LTE network in addition to continuing support for EE's network. The new devices will also be compatible with Three's LTE network, which launches in December.

For the first time, China will be included in the first wave of launches for a new iPhone model, and the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c are both offered in models that supported the TD-LTE standard used by China Mobile, the world's largest carrier. Apple and China Mobile have yet to announce a deal for the iPhone, though signs have pointed to a deal being in the works.

As noted by Unwired View, Apple's iPhone 5s may already have received regulatory certification for TD-LTE operation in China. According to reports, China's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology issued TD-LTE certification on four devices, but sources have indicated that a fifth approval, for the iPhone 5s, was kept secret by the agency.

(Thanks, @anexanhume!)

Article Link: iPhone 5s/5c LTE Band Tweaks Combine AT&T and Verizon in One Model, Add China Mobile

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Does this mean that it'll come unlocked? I know the likely answer is "no" but didn't verizon have some deal with FCC that required it to be unlocked?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Does this mean that it'll come unlocked? I know the likely answer is "no" but didn't verizon have some deal with FCC that required it to be unlocked?

Not only this, but what about the other carriers? We can't assume that they use the same LTE bands, no?

So what about Rogers, Fido, Telstra, Optus, Orange, etc.? Do they use the same bands as ATT, VZW, and T-Mobile?

BL.

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
So, as far as I know O2 in the UK operates on an 800mHz LTE band. I read this and understood it to be band 8. Is this not the case?

Am I going to be switching providers come the 20th?

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Wow talk about a inventory nightmare.

36 different iPhone 5s models (For various sizes, colors and LTE models) and 40 different iPhone 5c models!

It's silly though - they could easily combine the Sprint and Verizon models together but Verizon wouldn't allow their phones to be caught on Sprint's network....

iBungie

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I'm hoping to get this question answered as well. Timing is good for me as my 2yr O2 contract ends in October. Current O2 coverage works well for me but if they wont support these new handsets looks like I'll be moving too.

So, as far as I know O2 in the UK operates on an 800mHz LTE band. I read this and understood it to be band 8. Is this not the case?

Update: I contacted O2 but so far they have no info although BBC news report this morning suggests O2 included in the networks that will support the new phones. O2 was not included in the Apple list of countries' service providers when I checked last night.

Last edited:

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC

Band 8 is 900.

800 is Band 18, 19 and 20 depending on what country you are in. O2 seems to use 800 in band 20 - which all 4 models seem to support.

Last edited:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
No - as long as Verizon continues to use CDMA for calls this will be a limit.

It's not just that. The iPhone 5 is incapable of transmitting data over LTE and calls over the normal CDMA network even. The same limitation exists. VoLTE is needed.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
So isn't Verizon prohibited from locking phones they sell that access LTE (or something like that)?

Would that mean that a subsidized Verizon iPhone can now be used freely by a T-mobile or ATT customer?

I suppose there would be a risk that the person selling it to you could have a contract problem with VZ which causes them to "Bad ESN" your phone?

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
No - as long as Verizon continues to use CDMA for calls this will be a limit.

Well, not necessarily. If Apple changed the antenna design, it is possible that it could use LTE for data and CDMA for voice - this was an antenna limitation of the iPhone 5, IIRC.

Other Verizon phones don't have a problem doing just that...

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Anybody know what band T-Mobile's LTE Advanced will be on? It's different from the exiting T-Mobile LTE and 4G, and launching later this year. Will the 5S support it?

No, they would have mentioned it.

Not at all ;)

Brazil uses the 2600MHz band, so the new models released over there will be A1529 and A1530 (same as Australia, NZ, South Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong).

I was talking about the phrase "de nada" :D

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC

CDMA allows any device that receives the carriers frequency to be on the network (The carrier has the ability to block or allow phones from connecting to it's network). Verizon and Sprint use the same technology (well besides LTE) but won't allow non-branded devices on their networks for $$ issues.

They want you to buy the device from them.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta

Pretty much, yes. This was the whole C Block that Google bid on that VZW out bid them just to make it an "open" network. The VZW i5 on/off contract came unlocked knowing that it would only work on ATT and Tmo 3G network.

This is pretty damn good news. I have a Tmo SIM and will be able to pop it in and out as needed. Certain areas like my home suck with VZW's LTE service but Tmo's is awesome considering they have a tower almost in my back yard. I can forward my VZW calls to my Tmo number. The only issue will be dialing out as it will register the Tmo number unless there's a way to update the number.

This is making the VZW "version" of i5S more and more appealing for VZW users especially when traveling overseas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.