Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
If you're worried about your spouse finding out about your secret life by doing that, the simple solution is use the pass code.

If you are worried about your spouse finding out about your secret life, you really shouldn't be married to your spouse at all.

BL.

akal575

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
The fact that they aren't opening access to the scanning for 3rd party developers is stupid. How nice it would have been to be able to have this feature replace passwords for a multitude of apps at launch.

Can't see the logic in that decision.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
I can picture teens sneaking their sleeping parents finger's to purchase apps. Fun times.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
If this won't work with third party apps then it's probably not worth having until the iPhone 6 when they will most likely add this support.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
The fact that they aren't opening access to the scanning for 3rd party developers is stupid. How nice it would have been to be able to have this feature replace passwords for a multitude of apps at launch.

Can't see the logic in that decision.

This is Apple. They love their closed systems.

Opening this to the world may introduce security issues??

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I for one love the sensor, I love the whole 5S, seems like people are haters on it. What did you expect? It's pretty darn cool!

Trust me on this one and most of the non-haters know this too, if Samsung had've put out the same plethora of small goodies on their GS4 as Apple did with the iPhone 5S today the Fandroids would've called it "Innovation". Sadly Apple gets crapped on for it.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Will it still work if you use a home button protector or does the finger have to be in direct contact?

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
Oh Apple, why would you blunder so? Fingerprints are not passwords, let alone the perfect password. Touch ID -- identification -- yes, fantastic. Authentication? No. Everything you touch now has your "secret" password on it, and it bears mentioning that changing such a password is... difficult.

You can choose to turn the fingerprint sensor off. So you could have your precious passwords on the 5S...

kdarling

macrumors P6
No the sensor detects pulse and temperature.

Did Apple say that?

The image it reads is the subcutaneous 3-dimensional shape of your fingerprint's ridges. Your fingerprint alone does not have these features.

The Touch ID video at Apple.com is a bit confusing.

They said it was a capacitive scanner that reads the sub-epidermal layer... otherwise known as an RF scanner ... but they also said they used a sapphire crystal because it "acts as a lens to precisely focus on your finger."

I'd be interested in knowing how a crystal slice would focus an RF field.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
So maybe I missed this but does the 5s have nfc?

how will these payments be done that will make it new other than not having a password and just using your finger?

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Apart from all the finger chopping off scenario's, what about situations where you do not want your phone accessed to maintain your rights to privacy?

For example, if you are (wrongly or rightly) stopped by law enforcement who insist that you unlock your phone so they can search the data?

There were reports on MR this year, that Apple were inundated with requests to unlock phones of suspects. Now an officer(s) merely needs to physically place your finger on your device.

I am not advocating helping criminals, however you need to consider that not all people arrested are guilty, or criminals. Furthermore, they have legal rights (in most civilised countries) to keep information they store on their devices private until otherwise legally required to do so.

Is there an off switch? Can you revert to passcode?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Will using a password still be an option even if you have the fingerprint scanner enabled? Using it with gloves on would be a problem otherwise

I doubt I'll buy it either way, but the info is still relevant for iPhone 6

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
I dont have finger prints because they were burned off in a fire will I not be able to use this phone?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
We've really become a paranoid society. The NSA has us scared to death over any new technology that comes out.

No, there are just too many people making snarky comments about the NSA wherever they can. Which has the very negative side effect that any real information is blotted out, because it is very difficult to know what is exagerration, panic, just made up, or actual fact.

-js-

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Southern California
Trust me on this one and most of the non-haters know this too, if Samsung had've put out the same plethora of small goodies on their GS4 as Apple did with the iPhone 5S today the Fandroids would've called it "Innovation". Sadly Apple gets crapped on for it.

Exactly.

There's only so much you can do in a freaking YEAR for crying out loud! How is a phone that has a processor that is TWICE as powerful, with a better camera and a fingerprint sensor so boring? Plus, no scuff-gate issues (one suspects) one the black (oops, I mean, space-grey), and better LTE support and better battery life. And the entire OS and drivers were all re-written to 64 bit. At the very least, the OS will benefit greatly from the 64 bit CPU. And it sounds like the developer tools that translate 32 bit code to 64 bit code are quite good, right? In the event today that game presenter said it only took 2 hours and worked--what did he say? "Flawlessly"? Can't remember. But in any case, if this is true, I suspect it won't be long before most of the app store apps are 64 bit.

I need to update my phone anyway, and if they had not released a new phone at all this year I still would have updated to the 5. So I'm quite pleased with the 5S. Expecting Apple to completely change the game and "innovate" like they did with the iPod and iPhone, every single year, is expecting the impossible--and undesireable. It's GOOD for things to mature. Just because it was predictable doesn't mean that it is unexciting. Or that's my feeling.

urbanlung

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2004
location location, location!
Most iPhones are stolen to sell on so there is little point in lopping off someone's finger unless you then intend to include the finger when you sell the phone. I doubt there would be many people interested in buying such a phone, it would look pretty incriminating operating a phone with. Severed finger.

altaic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
You can choose to turn the fingerprint sensor off. So you could have your precious passwords on the 5S...

Yet hundreds of thousands of people will believe that they are prefectly secure with their so called perfect password. Whether I choose to turn it off on my phone or not is irrelevant. The blunder is Apple's marketing confusing identification and authentication, further steering people who are ignorant of basic security in the wrong direction.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
For example, if you are (wrongly or rightly) stopped by law enforcement who insist that you unlock your phone so they can search the data?

You ask for a lawyer and insist that there is no ********** way that you will unlock the phone for them. And you should know that there is precedent now that they don't have any right to search your phone even if it is unlocked, much less the right to demand that you unlock the phone.

There were reports on MR this year, that Apple were inundated with requests to unlock phones of suspects. Now an officer(s) merely needs to physically place your finger on your device.

To look at the data on an iPhone, they need a search warrant. Once they have the search warrant, the police has the right to access the data, and whether your phone is protected by a passcode or a fingerprint makes no difference. Actually, there is a situation where _you_ cannot be required to unlock the phone, and that is when the fact that _you_ can unlock it is evidence against you; for example if a locked phone with unknown owner is found at the scene of a murder, the fact that _you_ can unlock it would incriminate you. In such a case, it might be that Apple cannot unlock phones that are protected by the fingerprint sensor.

Last edited:

westycat

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
UT
I hope that to reset the phone, one must also use Touch ID. That way, if someone just unlocks your phone with your finger, they still need you later on to get rid of the Activation Lock.

I don't think "stolen" is quite the right word here... Thanks for the laugh! :D

Exactly what I was thinking, its very possible a thief can club you over the head, act naturally, set you down, act as if he's the one helping you because you "fainted" and all he has to do is unlock your phone, change the finger print to his, walk away, and boom your F'd....

Same goes for being drugged. Someone can access your phone with finger print and then alter it to their own finger.

If someone wants something bad enough, they'll find away to take it....

I'm not paranoid. I'm just aware of the society we live it....chit happens

I'll stick with passcode. I feel its more secure.

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
I love the sensor! I hope that it can stand up to the wear and tear of everyday life. My iPhone 5 home button is always smeared with what ever food is on my littles one's hands.

It has a saffire crystal cover, so it should be really good.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Good for Apple with storing more than one person. We have multiple people in our family using each device. Locking it to one person would be absurd. It should me more than just five though. That could use improving.

Next I want legacy support for all MacOS and iOS software back to the version 1.0 operating systems. Apple has the economic, technical and computational resources to do this. There is a tremendous amount of older software that is great but not duplicated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.