Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
So I've installed the GM early on my 4 and thought I'd sum up my experience now that all my apps are installed.

So far it's a bit stuttery here and there. Especially when pulling down the notifications bar. Otherwise it's a pretty good experience overall considering the age of the phone. Update as of 12/9 the phone has smoothed out in most places, but given the age of the device, I'm not bothered by some minor stutter and lag.

Here's a small gallery of screenshots I've taken: http://imgur.com/a/rQTlI
Any Q's or requests, fire away!

-Tapping on a Folder, there is a notable, but small pause before the folder opens.

- Viewing photos in the Photos app is extremely quick. Tap to view a photo and to go back is quick!

19/09 update

I decided to try a restore and setting up as a new phone now that it's been released to the public. Performance has marginally improved to a point where I really do think I could last another year on this phone.

Last edited:

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
Would like to know if you see any performance improvements compared to the b6.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Have the translucent effects been disabled for the iPhone 4?

Here are some screenshots, for the main part they're highly scaled down, or non existent. Here's a small album: http://imgur.com/a/rQTlI

mcwNN5r.png

There's no translucency in the messages app.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
I've just put the GM on my iPhone 4 as well. I find it funny how so many people were proclaiming that it was really slow and crippled; my experience thus far (well, about 40 minutes) has been really good. It seems just about similar to iOS6 for all intents and purposes in light usage (which is all I ever did.)

Did you check your messages app again? Mine seems to load up fairly well and smoothly.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
I've just put the GM on my iPhone 4 as well. I find it funny how so many people were proclaiming that it was really slow and crippled; my experience thus far (well, about 40 minutes) has been really good. It seems just about similar to iOS6 for all intents and purposes in light usage (which is all I ever did.)

Did you check your messages app again? Mine seems to load up fairly well and smoothly.

I've left the phone to sit a while. And I'm having threads appear and disappear with the Messages app being really sluggish. I'm guessing it's still restoring off iCloud and replacing messages I've deleted.

nalk7

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Im really annoyed the timer on the lock screen still shows 00:00 instead of the remaining time :(

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Im really annoyed the timer on the lock screen still shows 00:00 instead of the remaining time :(

Interesting. I just started a 5 min timer and it's counting down.

After another restart and enabling then disabling my 3G, it appears the messages app is happy. Awesome!

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
I instantly fell in love with iOS 7 on my iPhone 4. Keep in mind that I haven't actively used my iPhone 4 as my primary phone since December of last year, but this update has really brought new life into an old horse.

One thing that I noticed right off of the bat with the iPhone 4 GSM on the Gold Master build of iOS 7.0 is that when you set a wallpaper the phone will lock up for about two or three seconds; after a sluggish animation the wallpaper will be set. I've been able to replicate this using several of the default wallpapers. I haven't tried a user downloaded photo, yet.

*EDIT* The animations are definitely throwing the phone off. Having more than two rows of icons on a single home screen causes the frame rate to suffer noticeably. There's a delay between you pulling down the notification center and it actually appearing; the animation is choppy as well. Undoubtedly there would be performance faults as the hardware in the iPhone 4 dates back to the 3G(s).

Last edited:

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
I instantly fell in love with iOS 7 on my iPhone 4. Keep in mind that I haven't actively used my iPhone 4 as my primary phone since December of last year, but this update has really brought new life into an old horse.

One thing that I noticed right off of the bat with the iPhone 4 GSM on the Gold Master build of iOS 7.0 is that when you set a wallpaper the phone will lock up for about two or three seconds; after a sluggish animation the wallpaper will be set. I've been able to replicate this using several of the default wallpapers. I haven't tried a user downloaded photo, yet.

I find tapping on the wallpaper I wish to preview, there is a few second delay before the preview pops up. Setting the wallpaper, yep, definitely a long delay there.

How is the scroll on the music app?
Its little bit laggy and not smooth on beta version..

Sorting using "Songs" scrolling moderately is lag free, scrolling fast there is a little lag here and there. I put that down to that it's loading the Album art.

gaboshenia

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2007
Bucharest, Romania
I've just updated. Didn't restore or anything. And it feels snapier. There is a little lag here and there. But nothing big. Messages app works perfect. And all the stock apps work perfect. The only thibg that bothers me is the old keyboard in 3d party apps. But i guess that's gonna be fixed by app updates as they come.
Aaa. There was a glitch. When i try to delete a call from the phone app by swiping it takes me to the calls details. But if you choose edit it lets you remove the call

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
I've just updated. Didn't restore or anything. And it feels snapier. There is a little lag here and there. But nothing big. Messages app works perfect. And all the stock apps work perfect. The only thibg that bothers me is the old keyboard in 3d party apps. But i guess that's gonna be fixed by app updates as they come.
Aaa. There was a glitch. When i try to delete a call from the phone app by swiping it takes me to the calls details. But if you choose edit it lets you remove the call

Awesome, glad to hear things are mainly smooth sailing for ya.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
How do you find the battery life after using it for a few hours? Also, have they added at-a-glance features to Calander when in month view?

hazuki

macrumors regular
May 17, 2013
Bali
I find tapping on the wallpaper I wish to preview, there is a few second delay before the preview pops up. Setting the wallpaper, yep, definitely a long delay there.

Sorting using "Songs" scrolling moderately is lag free, scrolling fast there is a little lag here and there. I put that down to that it's loading the Album art.

great! can't wait to update it on next tuesday :p

ah one more question
does NC & CC swipe still not smooth or sometimes stuck in the middle of screen?

thank you!

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
How do you find the battery life after using it for a few hours? Also, have they added at-a-glance features to Calander when in month view?

Battery life has taken a beating because I've been constantly using it and also iCloud is humming in the background resyncing my stuff. I've also rebooted it about 3 times.

For the at-a-glance, is this within the calender app itself or the pull down notifications?

Within the app, I can scroll back and forward quite a number of years?

I don't have any listed events within the coming months :(

great! can't wait to update it on next tuesday :p

ah one more question
does NC & CC swipe still not smooth or sometimes stuck in the middle of screen?

thank you!

NC = Sort of depends, For the most part it's smooth, sometimes it might be a little laggy. I put that down to iCloud syncing in the background

CC = Smooth, but the same as NC. Enabling things is super fast too. Pretty much instant for turning the Flashlight on for example.

I haven't had them get stuck in the middle of the screen.

gaboshenia

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2007
Bucharest, Romania

Battery life. Ahm. Unplugged it at 9:40. Now is 11:11 and battery is at 78%. Used wifi/3g. And tested stuff. Some text/e-mails/web. But nothing fancy. Gonna' wait for it to settle down, restart it and will say then if it went down or up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 503

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Battery life has taken a beating because I've been constantly using it and also iCloud is humming in the background resyncing my stuff. I've also rebooted it about 3 times.

For the at-a-glance, is this within the calender app itself or the pull down notifications?

Within the app, I can scroll back and forward quite a number of years?

I don't have any listed events within the coming months :(

Thanks :) I was referring to the at-a-glance feature within the Calendar app. Specifically, selecting a day in Month view.

In the previous beta's the at-a-glance feature that was in iOS 6 was removed and replaced with an hour by hour list that had to be scrolled through.

Thanks in advance!

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I think the speed is okay to use. Not that much slower than iOS 6, especially if you take out the time for animations.
Thanks :) I was referring to the at-a-glance feature within the Calendar app. Specifically, selecting a day in Month view.

In the previous beta's the at-a-glance feature that was in iOS 6 was removed and replaced with an hour by hour list that had to be scrolled through.

Thanks in advance!

Not too sure what you mean, AFAIK it's been looking like this since beta 1? If there's an event scheduled for the day, the list shows a time table for the next 5 hours or so, until at some point there comes the event. If there's no event scheduled it just shows something like an empty table with the text "No events", though that table is shorter in height than the one if there's an event.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010

Thanks in advance!

I think I know what you're talking about.

It's just an hour-by-hour list: http://i.imgur.com/YuJq6dg.png

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
I think the speed is okay to use. Not that much slower than iOS 6, especially if you take out the time for animations.

Not too sure what you mean, AFAIK it's been looking like this since beta 1? If there's an event scheduled for the day, the list shows a time table for the next 5 hours or so, until at some point there comes the event. If there's no event scheduled it just shows something like an empty table with the text "No events", though that table is shorter in height than the one if there's an event.

I think I know what you're talking about.

It's just an hour-by-hour list: http://i.imgur.com/YuJq6dg.png

Thanks for replying guys, I really appreciate the images too. I was hoping they would revert it back to the iOS 6 style, which was super convenient. Hopefully we will see it in 7.1.

Zmijutin

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
I haven't installed GM on my iPhone, but last sunday I've installed beta 6. I would like to suggest some tips. Leave it on a charger for up to two hours after restore is done. It has to re-cache all photo collection etc. after two hours everything was working just about fine. Not at iOS 6 level but really okish. Beta 6 was slower due debugger inside, GM should be faster. I'll be installing GM later this week just in case something goes south I can downgrade to iOS 6 while Apple is still signing it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.