Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
So does this mean that a subsidized VZ iPhone will be automatically unlocked and fully functional on ATT & T-mobile since VZ wasn't allowed to lock the phones?

That is correct! going forward with 5C/5S it wont be such a bad idea owning a Verizon iPhone because it will support all 3G/4G HSPA+ and LTE bands :)

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Yes but to refuse to buy the phone just for this reason is a little silly. Especially since he can order it online as soon as it launches.

Agreed, and this is my plan, though I am disappointed. Think there's any chance the phone will be available in stores later in the day on that Friday of Saturday?

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
The second is that the camera is still only 8MP.

You've been fooled by the camera companies that try to sell you cameras that more megapixels is a measure of quality. Higher megapixels does not equal higher quality. They made a big deal out of 1.5 micron pixels on the phone because the larger the pixel the better it it performs.

I am upgrading from the iPhone 4 and think this is a great update. I would suspect that the camera alone is a worthwhile upgrade from the 5. I am looking forward to the fingerprint sensor. Using my phone for work email has forced me to use a 6 digit pin and typing it all the time is quite annoying. I can really feel how slow my iPhone 4 is compared to my "new iPad"

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
So this is how the NSA

So this is how the NSA fingerprints the world? Honestly I just cannot trust any digital company anymore. Well, I trust Apple more because their cloud stuff will probably break while Google cloud will be rock solid giving away your info and fingerprints. You check your phone, your fingerprint gets cross referenced in national database, your GPS phones cops and next thing you know your in jail for forgetting to get health insurance from an exchange. A beautiful world we have now.

One thing that would be nice is if this is forerunner to multiple users and parental controls on iPhone. My brother showed me his on his Fire and it was sick.

Last edited:

bobborries

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Nice Shiny Frame!

Attachments

• iPhone5s.gif
    iPhone5s.gif
    516.2 KB · Views: 865

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Only A7 and fingerprint sensor.

Nothing major.

Dont people see this? Only 2 or 3 new stuff.

Is this really all?

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Interesting to hear the claim that Fingerprint data will not be uploaded to iCloud or accessed by other App's.

I wonder if this decision was made pre or post 'Snowdon'? In any case it is good new's if it is true, as this would have been a deal breaker for me.

And you beleive they won't get a copy of the fingerprint file? Didn't apple state they never took data from your computer, then admitting later they did? Nothing like apple helping the government collect fingerprints for them. Thanks but no thanks.
As for iOS7 going 64 bit, didn"t apple state the 2006 mac pro was 64 bit, but was found out later it could not run 64 bit OS? I will wait until the tests are done from reputable labs to see if the 5S is what its supposed to be.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
I wonder what they are planning to call color version iphone when they release iPhone6s. There would be already iphone6c, released with iphone6.

I was wondering the same thing. I bet next time will be just the iPhone 6, pushing the 5S into the 5C spot and put the 5C into the 4S spot so

iPhone 5C
iPhone 5S
iPhone 6

then the next year will be

iPhone 6C
iPhone 6
iPhone 6S

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Same same... nothing different. Gonna stay with my 4S. Give me a bigger screen so my eyes stop straining.

An iPad mini may work better for you, it does for me... or perhaps a trip to the doctor for reading glasses :)

I hope there will always be a high quality iPhone choice that is no bigger than the current 5, it is borderline too large to carry around and use as it is.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Fingerprint for Apps would be nice

It sure would be nice if they would open up the fingerprint sensor in some way so that apps could use it for authentication purposes. For example, I use the 1Password program and it would be nice to just use my fingerprint to get into it. Hopefully some functionality like this will be coming in the future.

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
Screen...

Switch to AMOLED...oh, wait...

What laws of physics? I have gear on my boat with color screens that can be read in bright sunlight, and most of it sells for a lot less than a current iPhone.

Why do so many people here get "upset" when a user says he'd like to see an improvement in the iPhone screen that would allow it to be easily seen and used outdoors in bright light?

I was just noticing today how I've never had a problem with seeing my iphone in direct, bright sunlight. Have you checked your auto-brightness settings?

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
wish they made the jump to 128GB phone

i guess since other phones come out with such crappy numbers they didn't feel need to raise it up

:(

I just hope they don't do what they did with the iPad 4, releasing a 128GB model a few months later. Well, at least I can get a 128GB iPad 5 and maybe (a big maybe perhaps) a 128GB iPad mini 2. I'm a little disappointed, but I think I can live with it...for now.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I was wondering the same thing. I bet next time will be just the iPhone 6, pushing the 5S into the 5C spot and put the 5C into the 4S spot so

iPhone 5C
iPhone 5S
iPhone 6

then the next year will be

iPhone 6C
iPhone 6
iPhone 6S

Another possibility, the 5s is discontinued and we get the 5cs instead with 5s specs so it will only be the iPhone 6 and 5cs next year (the letters are now lower case). Maybe the 5c sticks around.

Why? Because the iPhone 5 has been replaced by the 5c with a new plastic body and the reports that it's been difficult to manufacture the 5 and presumably the 5S.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Can you store multiple fingerprints on a device? What happens if my wife or kid wants to use it in an emergency?

1) You can setup your wife and kid to be one of your multiple fingerprints.
2) Your wife and kid could use your PIN code.
3) Your wife and kid could use the emergency call feature on the lock screen.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Now I don't feel so bad that my contract still has another year left. I was disappointed last year in the lack of a 128 GB option (the smallest size that would fit my entire music collection at 256kbps). But since they have historically doubled the top end every 2 years, I didn't expect it until this year. 128 GB was almost going to make me consider doing something financially stupid and upgrading out of cycle, but I guess that's no longer a concern. :eek:

I said it last year, and I'll say it again now: give me a 128 GB option for $100 more and I'll gladly pay for it. Make the phone 50% thicker with a larger battery to fill that extra space and I'll pay another $100 for that. But of course, Apple knows best. :rolleyes:

If they want to keep me when my contract is up next year, there'd better be a 128 GB iPhone 6.

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Seems like the outright price in Australia has gone up $130! I didn't think the AUD was going that badly... Seems very excessive. 64GB is now $1129, up from $999.

I could understand if $1129 was for a 128GB, but i agree this is very excessive!
Not good to see the tech pricing inquiry a few months ago had no effect on pricing!

Perfect Score

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2013
Toronto Canada
Not impressed by the specs. The whole x64 thing is a red herring to throw people off of the fact that A7 is not quad core. Apple is almost 2 years late on that.

Camera upgrade is OK. The dual-flash shouldn't be a big deal as white balance can be fixed easily. Going to f2.2 is good news. I'm interested in seeing how people use slow-mo.

Finger print lock is probably the biggest functional upgrade.

But really though, at this point, phones are phones. Nothing groundbreaking is going to happen. This applies to both Apple and Android or other OSes. If you want the latest toy, you'll upgrade. Otherwise, you'll stay pat.

cuencap

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2011
Now I don't feel so bad that my contract still has another year left. I was disappointed last year in the lack of a 128 GB option (the smallest size that would fit my entire music collection at 256kbps). But since they have historically doubled the top end every 2 years, I didn't expect it until this year. 128 GB was almost going to make me consider doing something financially stupid and upgrading out of cycle, but I guess that's no longer a concern. :eek:

I said it last year, and I'll say it again now: give me a 128 GB option for $100 more and I'll gladly pay for it. Make the phone 50% thicker with a larger battery to fill that extra space and I'll pay another $100 for that. But of course, Apple knows best. :rolleyes:

If they want to keep me when my contract is up next year, there'd better be a 128 GB iPhone 6.

Why can't you buy the 16GB phone, save yourself over $100 and then subscribe to iTunes Match for $25/yr? You've got 4 years of Match paid for, and you'll save yourself another $100 in two years when you repeat this money-saving feat. You can just send me the money you saved if you would like!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.