Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I know 5s is still 1136x640 like iPT 5th gen, iPhone 5, 5c now, but seriously, no enhancements in the contrast level or gamut or any of that technical stuff? 4 to 4s they did, even though the LCD lottery made it impossible to say as my 4s screen was way worse but in theory, and same with 3g to 3g s if i recall correctly.

Recycling those 4" screens like a boss.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
I know 5s is still 1136x640 like iPT 5th gen, iPhone 5, 5c now, but seriously, no enhancements in the contrast level or gamut or any of that technical stuff? 4 to 4s they did, even though the LCD lottery made it impossible to say as my 4s screen was way worse but in theory, and same with 3g to 3g s if i recall correctly.

Yep. Pathetic. Just like fanboys defending whatever Apple releases without being objective.

DariusX

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013

Well to be fair, the 4S got some minor screen improvements, the usual CPU bump and an improved camera; the 5S got a fingerprint sensor and a much upgraded CPU and GPU along with an improved camera.

Looking at the unlocked prices for the 5S, which are higher than the 5 and 4S, I'm guessing the fingerprint sensor added a significant amount of cost to the production of this phone, and any further addition would only drive up the retail price.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013

A 720P screen in the same form form factor is probably possible. I wish they would give up being different for the sake of being different and be different where they can innovate.

DariusX

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Yep. Pathetic. Just like fanboys defending whatever Apple releases without being objective.

I fail to see how your response addresses the OP's question; you merely took this chance to troll.

No one is "defending" apple. If someone feels that the improvements announced today are worth the money, then he/she will buy the phone. Simple as that.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
A 720P screen in the same form form factor is probably possible. I wish they would give up being different for the sake of being different and be different where they can innovate.

Why mess up every app optimized for the current screen size and resolution for no reason? 326ppi to 367ppi would not be noticeable.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
why bother to improve anything if that's the mentality?

That's a tired argument for saying you want change, just for the sake of change.

iPhone screen is perfect as is, no changes needed as more pixels suck down battery and hamper performance. No changes to contrast needed as that is simply a personal preference of yours on how much contrast you want.

DariusX

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Wrong. Same pricing as the 4S and the 5 when they were purchased as unlocked devices.

16GB - $649
32GB - $749
64GB - $849

oops, I was looking at Apple Canada's prices (I'm Canadian)
well for some reason the price went up by a lot for us here

16GB - $719
32GB - $819
64GB - $919

add a 13% tax to all of those prices

makes me wanna move to the USA

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Why mess up every app optimized for the current screen size and resolution for no reason? 326ppi to 367ppi would not be noticeable.

But when it hits in the iPhone 6 it will be ok? The fact of the matter is 1280x720 and 1920x1080 are pretty universal resolutions. In fact those are the two resolutions the iPhone records video in (but not view in).

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
oops, I was looking at Apple Canada's prices (I'm Canadian)
well for some reason the price went up by a lot for us here

16GB - $719
32GB - $819
64GB - $919

add a 13% tax to all of those prices

makes me wanna move to the USA

Must be an exchange rate increase then...only thing I can think of.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Why would Apple improve the display after they've got their apologists programmed to sing the praises of the screen Apple's already rated as perfect. In addition they make more profit this way. What's good for Apple is what matters to Apple :)

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
Why would Apple improve the display after they've got their apologists programmed to sing the praises of the screen Apple's already rated as perfect. In addition they make more profit this way. What's good for Apple is what matters to Apple :)

Why would Apple bend over for the demands of "MOAR! MOAR!" from spec geeks when going higher PPI doesn't provide any real benefit for the user, only negatives?

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Must be an exchange rate increase then...only thing I can think of.

Doesn't make sense when the Canadian dollar is nearly on par with the US dollar (Canadian Dollar is at $0.97 American). Sorry but it should be the exact same price, even the 5C is more expensive here. Sorry, but this is Apple being greedy. We've had the exact same prices for a long time and now all of a sudden they bump them? $919 + tax is absolutely ridiculous for the 64GB 5s!

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
But when it hits in the iPhone 6 it will be ok? The fact of the matter is 1280x720 and 1920x1080 are pretty universal resolutions. In fact those are the two resolutions the iPhone records video in (but not view in).

If the 6 brought a significant change in screen size and with it a higher resolution to keep the current ppi, then the software reengineering would be worthwhile. Upping the resolution purely to up the ppi is not worthwhile.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
why bother to improve anything if that's the mentality?

Do you want an actual answer? In all likelihood, they're working on IGZO screens. Obviously, the technology isn't quite ready yet. I'd expect to see it in their laptops and iOS devices in 2014.

Last year's screen improvements were huge (even if they went unnoticed by most people). It would be difficult to improve the screen that much every year.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Why would Apple bend over for the demands of "MOAR! MOAR!" from spec geeks when going higher PPI doesn't provide any real benefit for the user, only negatives?

Only negatives? Have you checked, for example, the screen of the ONE? Such a nice and beautiful screen... That would have been a good upgrade.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
Only negatives? Have you checked, for example, the screen of the ONE? Such a nice and beautiful screen... That would have been a good upgrade.

Besides higher PPI (which only hurts battery life and provides no real benefit) tell me measurable stuff how the HTC One screen is better than the iPhone besides just personal preference stuff like "theres more contrast".

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
Well, compare them side by side and you'll see the difference.

Ah, so you looked at both of them and prefer the HTC One. Come on back then when you have actual benefits you can list besides just your personal preferences since I could just as easily say I prefer the iPhone screen.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Yep. Until you realize that Samsung Galaxy S4 (and other Android phones) has 2.85x more pixels.

Outside the larger screen, how does this matter? The pixels are so small that the human eye can't tell them apart. Therefore more pixels per inch doesn't matter aside from trying to impress someone on a spec sheet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.