Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Wow, I just installed iOS 7 GM on my iPod touch 5th gen and it performs like new again! There are no long boot times anymore (32 seconds!) and no lag (except for entering siri.)

I am loving the new sounds and wallpapers, especially the dynamic wallpapers that match the iPod touches (there is a blue, pink, red, silver, white, black, yellow, and grey, all of the possible matching colors.

I can't really say anything about battery life because I just unplugged from a full charge but I will update on that later (EDIT: see below.) I also can't say about my iPad 2 because the update is downloading (EDIT: see below.)

I have gone all the way from iOS 6.1, through every beta of iOS 7 without ever restoring, and I am surprised that it still works like new. I have been using iOS since version 3.1.1 and this is by far the best version yet :)

EDIT (battery life on iPod touch): Usage on half brightness and wifi/Bluetooth on got 3 hours and still at 50-75 percent. Don't know about my iPad yet, only just installed.

EDIT (iPad 2 impressions): Wow, I don't know what other to say than "good job again apple!" My iPad is now lag and bug free and even the wallpaper time that people are complaining about isn't even there! I even see som actual blurring (not simulated) on multitasking and folders!

Maybe I am the only lucky one on here but do any of you want to share any good experiences about the gm of iOS 7? I am tired of seeing "it's laggy."

Last edited:

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
You may not find many takers for saying good things - but wait for the 'Moan bandwagon' to form - there will be plenty of that…

In fact, I think there are couple of threads already spilling over with 'it's laggy' tune…

So good luck….

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
Transitions are still slow! Not acceptable! Im sure it will work great for the iPhone 5S, but the rest of us are SOL I guess!

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Transitions are still slow! Not acceptable! Im sure it will work great for the iPhone 5S, but the rest of us are SOL I guess!

Did you do a restore or update? Everything is fast and smooth on my 4s equivalent iPod. It took a minute after booting to get this way, at first it was slow.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Seems like not much has changed from iOS 7 beta 6 to GM version. My thinking is that the developers were busy updating the other Apple apps to support iOS 7 and we'll be seeing an iOS 7.1 or 7.01 release in a couple months

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I love iOS 7, have done throughout the beta phase and now into the GM. My 4S is phenomenal on iOS 7 but the seeming lack of care and optimisation put into the iPad version of iOS 7 is a little disheartening.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
I love iOS 7, have done throughout the beta phase and now into the GM. My 4S is phenomenal on iOS 7 but the seeming lack of care and optimisation put into the iPad version of iOS 7 is a little disheartening.

This. It's absolutely not ready.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Don't use the iPad on the daily, so I may just wait until 7.0.2 or whatever.

Shame it's buggy but people have been saying that for weeks now, hopefully Apple rally late to sort it out.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I love iOS7. Been there right through from Beta 1 and i'm not sure about the transition complaints?

Love it love it love it.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
Did you do a restore or update? Everything is fast and smooth on my 4s equivalent iPod. It took a minute after booting to get this way, at first it was slow.

I went to 6.1.4 from iOS 7 beta 6 and then I restored to the GM! Clean install!

----------

I love iOS7. Been there right through from Beta 1 and i'm not sure about the transition complaints?

Love it love it love it.

Because you might not remember how fast it was on iOS 6! I just tested iOS 6 on my iPhone 5 and it was fast fast fast! Went to GM from iOS 7 beta 6 and I can definitely notice a difference! But nothing that can be done really until they fix it.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland

I'm assuming this was purely to meet this iPhone launch. Parity will hopefully be restored as we near the launch of the new iPads. For the record, I have only run IOS 7 on my mini and it has performed well enough for me to keep it on there. I'll probably upgrade my iPhone 5 tonight.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
It gets even better :)

Battery life on iPod touch: Usage on half brightness and wifi/Bluetooth on got 3 hours and still at 50-75 percent. Don't know about my iPad yet, only just installed.

iPad 2 impressions: Wow, I don't know what other to say than "good job again apple!" My iPad is now lag and bug free and even the wallpaper time that people are complaining about isn't even there! I even see som actual blurring (not simulated) on multitasking and folders!

Maybe I am the only lucky one on here but do any of you want to share any good experiences about the gm of iOS 7? I am tired of seeing "it's laggy."

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
This kind of makes me want to go to the GM, even though I'm not a dev. Should I do it? :eek:

malih

macrumors member
May 11, 2013
It's quite stable, although I tested with iPod touch and performance is pretty good at first installation, I tried and played around for an hour with default settings... still good

Then I restore from apps+data+settings backup and I think I can see that frame rate is not as good as earlier, could be from 100+ apps I'm installing? I already tried disabling Background app refresh, doesn't seem to be improved.

Wonder if they delay performance improvements on some devices to 7.1

Last edited:

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Wow, I just installed iOS 7 GM on my iPod touch 5th gen and it performs like new again! There are no long boot times anymore (32 seconds!) and no lag (except for entering siri.)

I am loving the new sounds and wallpapers, especially the dynamic wallpapers that match the iPod touches (there is a blue, pink, red, silver, white, black, yellow, and grey, all of the possible matching colors.

I can't really say anything about battery life because I just unplugged from a full charge but I will update on that later (EDIT: see below.) I also can't say about my iPad 2 because the update is downloading (EDIT: see below.)

I have gone all the way from iOS 6.1, through every beta of iOS 7 without ever restoring, and I am surprised that it still works like new. I have been using iOS since version 3.1.1 and this is by far the best version yet :)

EDIT (battery life on iPod touch): Usage on half brightness and wifi/Bluetooth on got 3 hours and still at 50-75 percent. Don't know about my iPad yet, only just installed.

EDIT (iPad 2 impressions): Wow, I don't know what other to say than "good job again apple!" My iPad is now lag and bug free and even the wallpaper time that people are complaining about isn't even there! I even see som actual blurring (not simulated) on multitasking and folders!

I've an iPod touch 5th Gen but I'm worried about certain games not working, yes I know it's all up to the devs, but I fear the fixes and updates might take a while for the dev to work on, either that or the app is no longer supported, I'm expecting big name titles like the Final Fantasies series will get an update but those indie/small-time dev may or may not.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
As an iPhone 4 user... just wow.

Did a DFU restore, and my iPhone is flying.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I'm pleased with the GM on my ipad 3. The betas were pretty bad as far as UI lag but GM is pretty solid. Overall iOS 6 is still a better performer but it's pretty close and the added functionality of iOS 7 is a fair trade off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.