Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple sent an email to developers today, asking that they finalize their apps for submission to the App Store ahead of the public release of iOS 7 next week. The email specifically mentions several new iOS 7 features as well as the new APIs that take advantage of iPhone 5s features like the M7 motion coprocessor.

submitios7apps.png
Apple also has published a guide for developers on the new features built into the iPhone 5s, including the 64-bit A7 processor, OpenGL ES 3, the M7 motion coprocessor and the Core Motion APIs.
iPhone 5s is powered by Apple's next generation A7 chip, making it the world's first smartphone with 64-bit desktop-class architecture for blazing fast performance in the palm of your hand. The iOS kernel, libraries, and drivers now take advantage of 64-bit, delivering up to 2x faster CPU and graphics performance for your apps and games. And it's easy to build and run your apps in 64-bit because Xcode automatically builds your apps into binaries that will run on both 32-bit and 64-bit devices.
Apple is asking developers to test their apps for iOS 7 compatibility, with requirements that apps be optimized for the Retina display and for the 4-inch display introduced with the iPhone 5.

iOS 7 is scheduled for public release next Wednesday, September 18.

Article Link: Apple Asks Developers to Submit iOS 7-Compatible App Updates

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Ugh. 32 bit and 64 bit in one app. UI resources for iOS 6 and iOS 7 design in one app. Apps are going to bloat even bigger and waste more space on the device.

I feel really sorry for anyone who gets suckered into buying the 8GB iPhone 4S.

Perfect Score

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2013
Toronto Canada
I think the App Store approval time will be horribly backed up..

There's probably already a backlog of apps being approved after the hacking problem. On top of that, there's now the line of iOS7 apps to go through.

I don't envy their jobs right now. :eek:

Nive

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2013
Ugh. 32 bit and 64 bit in one app. UI resources for iOS 6 and iOS 7 design in one app. Apps are going to bloat even bigger and waste more space on the device.

I highly doubt this, the AppStore probably just determines what binary it needs to download for your device instead of downloading one huge binary.

RedWeasel

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010

Cocoa (aka OPENSTEP back in the days) always had the concept of fat binaries. It's one of the advantages of the system actually. Having 32 bit and 64 bit binaries in one package won't make a noticable difference...

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
The funny thing is that they haven't updated their apps yet, not even in the screenshots on the website. Something tells me that Jobs would have been furious about things like this
work_hero.jpg

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I have to agree, this kind of thing is just a bit shoddy and is easily avoided with a bit of extra effort.

Definitely shoddy. I also do not see a video on the site for a 5S but I do see one for the 5C. I also find that the pictures of the phones on the website aren't really optimized for a great browsing experience. They barely fit in a 13" browser window. Small things like this didn't used to slip through the cracks!

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Definitely shoddy. I also do not see a video on the site for a 5S but I do see one for the 5C. I also find that the pictures of the phones on the website aren't really optimized for a great browsing experience. They barely fit in a 13" browser window. Small things like this didn't used to slip through the cracks!

From what I have read, these are the sorts of things that Jobs would go ballistic about which kept everyone on their toes;)

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Cept they already did.

'Cept' they actually haven't. Most app icons don't actually have the gloss effect as a part of the icon itself, as it's an automatic overlay that Apple applies to all of the apps on the App Store; but Twitter decided to 'hardcode' the gloss into the icon - Here's my iPhone 4 running iOS 7 GM.

photo_zps5e234e1e.png

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
'Cept' they actually haven't. Most app icons don't actually have the gloss effect as a part of the icon itself, as it's an automatic overlay that Apple applies to all of the apps on the App Store; but Twitter decided to 'hardcode' the gloss into the icon - Here's my iPhone 4 running iOS 7 GM.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...-7-provides-a-sneak-peak-at-new-sharing-icons

Maybe since you have an iPhone 4 you can't get the latest version or something.

Zboska

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
Nope, just because a video shows something does not mean that it has been updated in real life. I am running iOS 7 GM on an iPhone 5 and my twitter icon is still glossy. If you don't know, don't talk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 172

Semester

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011

Aoh, is this what's going to happen?

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013

I don't understand what Apple was thinking, cramming the carrier name along with the signal strength dots and the WiFi symbols right alongside the time.

Why in the world do we need the carrier name these days? If Apple was going to use signal dots instead of bars, why wouldn't it at least clean up the status bar to make some room.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I don't understand what Apple was thinking, cramming the carrier name along with the signal strength dots and the WiFi symbols right alongside the time.

Why in the world do we need the carrier name these days? If Apple was going to use signal dots instead of bars, why wouldn't it at least clean up the status bar to make some room.

On other carriers like O2, EE or 3 it really doesn't clutter up the bar at all. However in typical Vodafone style though they insisted on putting their entire name AND just in case I would forget - the country I'm in AND all in lower-case letters which just looks appalling. Can't wait for a jailbreak already just so I can swap it out with something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.