Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caboum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
I recently went to Mexico City and had a dreadful experience with the Apple Stores there. From what I learned, this might be a pervasive problem and needs to be known. Apple Stores in Mexico, and perhaps just abroad, are not real Apple Stores. They sell apple products but are not obligated to follow any apple service policy, or care for damaging the brand. In my experience I dealt with thugs who knew what they were doing and intentionally limit online feedback from disgruntled customers such as me.

Here is the story in a nutshell:

I went to Mexico for three weeks and forgot a cable I needed. The second day there I went to the "Mac Store" on Altavista, in San Angel, the historic seventeenth-century neighborhood in which I also happened to be staying, so for me it was just a short walk to the store and back.

They had the cable, but it was more than three times the price than on Apple's website ($19 versus $70). I needed the cable for a presentation the following day so I unhappily bought it. While I was waiting to pay, I couldn't help but notice that a "genius" close by could not answer a simple question about an IPhone and I was very surprised when he admitted he didn't know how you closed apps on an Iphone!

Off I went, and a few hours later I related my story to a local acquaintance who directed me to a non-apple store two blocks away from the Altavista Mac Store, where I found the exact same apple cable for $19. I had not opened the package, so I came back to the apple store and asked them for a refund. The cable was still in his box/bag unopened and had been out of the store for only a few hours. They said they could only give me store credit which, at those prices, I did not want, or refund 90% of the amount. I chose the later although I felt this was unfair since the product was unused and bought the same day. The real problem was that refunds had to be paid in the form of a check that could only be made at the corporate office and was going to take one week! I began to really get upset and asked to talk to the manager. He told me the same thing. He explained to me they were not real Mac Stores, but that they sold Macs. The corporate owner of the store was Compudabo, a large distributor of computers who sold all kinds of computers, and specialized in large government purchases, so individual sales were not a priority for them. I was shocked at the candid response, figured out I could not do anything, cut my losses and left.

A week later they told me they did not have the check, and they did not have it the second or third week, or by the time I had to come back.
To the question of why they were doing this obviously foul practice... the same manager told me basically that they were doing it because they could. They had no obligation to following apple customer service policies and had all the feedback and comments on all associated websites closed.
I of course went online to check that information and tried to leave feedback on their website and on the apple website, but it was true. One cannot leave feedback for Mac Stores in Mexico in the apple website.
For the principle I asked the persons I was visiting to help me collect that check. It took them two and a half months and several trips to the store (over the phone nothing could be done). Transferring the money to the US is not worth the trouble, and it doesn't begin to cover my friend's troubles or mine.

I feel we should be aware when we travel that "Apple Stores" are not real Apple Stores, and as I am sure there must be very good ones out there, there is no certainty you will find a good one. You may instead fall in a thug's lair as I did.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I know in the UK you get shops called things like the iStore.

Apple tends to licenses places like that, and then if they do well they'll open an apple store opposite and revoke their licensing. Its a horrible way to do business.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
I think you are mistaking an authorised reseller with a proper retail store.

Although authorised resellers are properly indicated.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM

Exactly, ive seen people here making the same mistake and expecting the same level of costumer service or want that they honor apple care :( i feel bad sometimes, i remember a old man demand a refund and even making threats of law sue i had to explain him that this are not apple store, they are authorize resellers or whatever the name is and policy totally different.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Exactly, ive seen people here making the same mistake and expecting the same level of costumer service or want that they honor apple care :( i feel bad sometimes, i remember a old man demand a refund and even making threats of law sue i had to explain him that this are not apple store, they are authorize resellers or whatever the name is and policy totally different.

Actually, what boggles me more is that some people claim Authorized Apple Resellers as fake Apple Stores...

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Actually, what boggles me more is that some people claim Authorized Apple Resellers as fake Apple Stores...

In countrys were Apple have stores, do authorize resellers honor apple care ? Always wondered that :) mainly because here they offer you apple care plus lol

Caboum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Apple Stores v. Resellers

Thank you for your comments. Let's see if I understand. You are saying that the whole problem arises from not distinguishing genuine Apple Stores from Authorized resellers. Correct?

Okay, first, in the United States I am used to see authorized resellers that look like Best Buy, AT&T, Tech Depot, CDW or PC Mall. Most of them sell apple and non-apple products, they do not have a "Genius Bar", or the screens and room settings for apple products classes.

As you can gauge from the Altavista picture, it is a three story building that is intentionally and deceptively presented as an Apple Store. It has no other name but Mac Store, a very subtle variant from Apple Store. It has a genius bar, and sells apple-products classes. It even has a children area. All shelves and products inside are organized as if in an Apple Store. Stationary is almost identical to apple stationary. They sell Apple Care too, of course, and all employees are dressed with the distinctive apple t-shirts and name tags you see in an Apple Store.

However, if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.... you shouldn't naively think it is a duck.

My point here is that the problem is not really about distinguishing two very distinct products that once you understand they are different you would feel dumb you had not noticed the differences before (Say between an Ipod and an IPhone). The point is that these places are intentionally deceptive, and they do so to take advantage of a brand name, while at the same time avoiding to pay the price in service or quality the brand is associated with. It is thus a fake, an intentional deception, in the same way a fake 100-dolars bill will always be. Yes, I am authorized to use, that is to "buy and sell" 100-dolars bills, but not to pretend I am the federal reserve.

Attachments

• Picture-22.png
    Picture-22.png
    852.7 KB · Views: 334

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I recently went to Mexico City and had a dreadful experience with the Apple Stores there. From what I learned, this might be a pervasive problem and needs to be known. Apple Stores in Mexico, and perhaps just abroad, are not real Apple Stores. They sell apple products but are not obligated to follow any apple service policy, or care for damaging the brand. In my experience I dealt with thugs who knew what they were doing and intentionally limit online feedback from disgruntled customers such as me.

Here is the story in a nutshell:

I went to Mexico for three weeks and forgot a cable I needed. The second day there I went to the "Mac Store" on Altavista, in San Angel, the historic seventeenth-century neighborhood in which I also happened to be staying, so for me it was just a short walk to the store and back.

They had the cable, but it was more than three times the price than on Apple's website ($19 versus $70). I needed the cable for a presentation the following day so I unhappily bought it. While I was waiting to pay, I couldn't help but notice that a "genius" close by could not answer a simple question about an IPhone and I was very surprised when he admitted he didn't know how you closed apps on an Iphone!

Off I went, and a few hours later I related my story to a local acquaintance who directed me to a non-apple store two blocks away from the Altavista Mac Store, where I found the exact same apple cable for $19. I had not opened the package, so I came back to the apple store and asked them for a refund. The cable was still in his box/bag unopened and had been out of the store for only a few hours. They said they could only give me store credit which, at those prices, I did not want, or refund 90% of the amount. I chose the later although I felt this was unfair since the product was unused and bought the same day. The real problem was that refunds had to be paid in the form of a check that could only be made at the corporate office and was going to take one week! I began to really get upset and asked to talk to the manager. He told me the same thing. He explained to me they were not real Mac Stores, but that they sold Macs. The corporate owner of the store was Compudabo, a large distributor of computers who sold all kinds of computers, and specialized in large government purchases, so individual sales were not a priority for them. I was shocked at the candid response, figured out I could not do anything, cut my losses and left.

A week later they told me they did not have the check, and they did not have it the second or third week, or by the time I had to come back.
To the question of why they were doing this obviously foul practice... the same manager told me basically that they were doing it because they could. They had no obligation to following apple customer service policies and had all the feedback and comments on all associated websites closed.
I of course went online to check that information and tried to leave feedback on their website and on the apple website, but it was true. One cannot leave feedback for Mac Stores in Mexico in the apple website.
For the principle I asked the persons I was visiting to help me collect that check. It took them two and a half months and several trips to the store (over the phone nothing could be done). Transferring the money to the US is not worth the trouble, and it doesn't begin to cover my friend's troubles or mine.

I feel we should be aware when we travel that "Apple Stores" are not real Apple Stores, and as I am sure there must be very good ones out there, there is no certainty you will find a good one. You may instead fall in a thug's lair as I did.
Educational and alarming! I guess those Apple logos are not hard to produce. Why does Apple not want to talk about this on their Website? If these stores represent a source of income they don't want to disparage, they've failed. :(
[doublepost=1502372490][/doublepost]

It would depend on if it was a store made to appear as an official Apple Store and it's not, such as the image in post 2.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
The store pictured in the ninth post does clearly have two large signs either side of the shopfront saying "Premium Reseller". And they are called "Mac Store". A quick glance at either of these things could have told you it isn't actually an Apple store.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
fake or not i wish Apple would build a stand alone apple store in Denver CO

right now the main Denver Colorado store is in a mall that just started charging for parking. Local peeps here are coming to the conclusion no one is really really going to malls anymore here.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
fake or not i wish Apple would build a stand alone apple store in Denver CO

right now the main Denver Colorado store is in a mall that just started charging for parking. Local peeps here are coming to the conclusion no one is really really going to malls anymore here.
So the rational is that charging for parking will increase sales revenue at the mall... :rolleyes:

Edit fixed post.

Last edited:

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
So the rational is that charging for parking will not increase sales revenue at the mall... :rolleyes:
started the first of 2017 and intel says additional revenue not rollin in yet.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.