Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
UK
So next to my name in a forum it says macrumors 6502 and other people have different ones... What are the ranks or is all this completely random :) I know bout Demi-God etc :) Also where can I set the pic that many have under their names :)

Nov 28, 2010
located
How do user titles work? from the MacRumors FAQ
User titles are based on post counts:

Newbie => 0 - 29 posts
Member => 30 posts
Regular => 100 posts (minimum required to post in the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum)
6502 => 250 posts (minimum required for access to the Marketplace forum)
6502a => 500 posts (minimum required to have an avatar)

You need an additional 196 posts to set an avatar.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
The admins changed how user titles work a while ago, but seem to have not yet updated the FAQ even though they "promised" they would do so.

Look here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1518425/

Oh. Better go annoy them...
I for one, didn't even notice the difference until recently (Macrumors Westmere got me). You did update when I took a long leave from the forums though, so that is part of it.

Now to get rid of my 6502a... I might just take a popular users route and post 255 insults. :D

I did like the whole G3, G4, G5 architecture though (seemed pretty cool). I assume those are still used, and then P6, Core, Westmere, Nehalem (in no real particular order because I can't remember releases...)

Will there ever be a macrumors Haswell or i7? I think those would be cool to have.

mizaco

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2013
yeah i find the rules on the number of required posts to be pretty silly.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
yeah i find the rules on the number of required posts to be pretty silly.

Not really... It's a way to keep people giving back to the community as well as develop trust. Like 250 posts are needed for the marketplace, as well as 6 months membership. This helps show that they are willing to stick around and are a real person who doesn't just want to bomb the forum trying to snag a better deal, but rather cares about the community.

As far as the avatar, it's just nice having a little indication whether someone is an established member or a newbie (generally speaking). Helps a lot with the whole "choose your audience" thing.

mizaco

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2013
Not really... It's a way to keep people giving back to the community as well as develop trust. Like 250 posts are needed for the marketplace, as well as 6 months membership. This helps show that they are willing to stick around and are a real person who doesn't just want to bomb the forum trying to snag a better deal, but rather cares about the community.

As far as the avatar, it's just nice having a little indication whether someone is an established member or a newbie (generally speaking). Helps a lot with the whole "choose your audience" thing.

wow i didn't know it took 6 months for that! thats amazing! they ought to offer some premium membership service here.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
The admins changed how user titles work a while ago, but seem to have not yet updated the FAQ even though they "promised" they would do so.

Look here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1518425/

I'm not sure where you saw a promise (not saying you didn't), but the ranges are not usually added to the FAQs until members figure them out.

Maybe the promise was to add them as people figured them out? I haven't checked if we've kept up with that. (There are other concerns today that have priority. :p)

It's supposed to be fun. As with everything, not everyone will appreciate it. But it's harmless.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I'm not sure where you saw a promise (not saying you didn't), but the ranges are not usually added to the FAQs until members figure them out.

Maybe the promise was to add them as people figured them out? I haven't checked if we've kept up with that. (There are other concerns today that have priority. :p)

It's supposed to be fun. As with everything, not everyone will appreciate it. But it's harmless.

That is why I put it in "". No worries, but since we figured out P6 and Core, maybe they could be added?
And 21,000 probably brings one to the next level?

Anyway, the priority lies hopefully in my use of past threads started by me on totally irrelevant topics for posting those snippets of information in? Don't tell me it's noooooot? ;)

And if this :rolleyes: is really the sarcasm smilie, then I don't want to use it anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.