Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is there some reliable application that i can use to check the performance of my new installed memory modules?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Thanx, anything else with a WYSIWYG interface perhaps?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Ive just installed 16GB to my iMac and i thought id see miracles of speed, but its not the case so i thought id check the memory, see if there are any issues!
Can it be the banks ive installed the memory on? Its paired with another 2x2GB of the memory Apple had installed from the beginning. The 16GB are from crucial!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Ive just installed 16GB to my iMac and i thought id see miracles of speed, but its not the case so i thought id check the memory, see if there are any issues!
Can it be the banks ive installed the memory on? Its paired with another 2x2GB of the memory Apple had installed from the beginning. The 16GB are from crucial!

What gains of speed do you expect?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
not much, just a better easiness in working in the OS environment!

Nov 28, 2010
located
not much, just a better easiness in working in the OS environment!

I don't really know what you mean with that, but more RAM does not make a computer faster per se, it lets it handle more open documents and applications at the same time and can switch quicker between them, but it will not calculate operations faster.

Open Activity Monitor and go to the System Memory* tab and look for Page Outs and Swap used and report back.

I for example have 32 GB RAM, and right now 23% is used. It feels fast when switching between the 16 open applications though, which would be a lot slower with just 4 GB of RAM.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
ill get back to you after memtest has finished, speaking of which do you want me to report back to you anything from that scan?

Nov 28, 2010
located
ill get back to you after memtest has finished, speaking of which do you want me to report back to you anything from that scan?

The scan will probably turn out okay, and I probably cannot decipher it that easily, but then again, I do not remember it using it, thus I do not know, what comes out of it.

Post away, if you still have concerns and the hint on Activity Monitor did not get you far enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.