Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Someone who has updated on older machines, with or without FD, please check the vers.

I have a 2011 Mac Mini which I updated to 10.8.3. The Disk Utility shows as Ver. 13 (444) after the update.

I have a SSD and Hard Disk (non-Fusion) in this Mini, and the updated Disk Utility is not attempting or suggesting that I repair the Fusion drive. This was a DIY addition since the Mini did not come with SSD or Fusion drive. I have, however, had this Mini configured as a DIY Fusion several times in the past, so if there are any "hidden markings" stored on the disk which might trigger the Fusion repair, they are not doing so.

-howard

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I have a 2011 Mac Mini which I updated to 10.8.3. The Disk Utility shows as Ver. 13 (444) after the update.

I have a SSD and Hard Disk (non-Fusion) in this Mini, and the updated Disk Utility is not attempting or suggesting that I repair the Fusion drive. This was a DIY addition since the Mini did not come with SSD or Fusion drive. I have, however, had this Mini configured as a DIY Fusion several times in the past, so if there are any "hidden markings" stored on the disk which might trigger the Fusion repair, they are not doing so.

Thanks for posting that. 10.8.2 shows Ver. 13 (430).

mogens

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
10.8.3 diy fd

I'm a little confused now:confused: After I've been running my DIY FD a couple of months now, I wonder if I'm actually running a "cold fusion" FD.
I'm on a Late 2009 i7 iMac with a 2TB HD and a Samsung 830 256GB SSD.
I created my FD on 10.8.2 using the terminal, and everything seems to work fine (or is it?). I have a full Superduper backup, so the question is if it's worth giving the method mentioned in the link below a try?
He states that only the full 10.8.3 installer will give you the necessary software to create and run a "real" FS. (I've upgraded to 10.8.3, but that shouldn't make a difference)
Any opinions?

http://blog.macsales.com/17624-os-x...tup-option-for-non-fusion-drive-equipped-macs

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I'm a little confused now:confused: After I've been running my DIY FD a couple of months now, I wonder if I'm actually running a "cold fusion" FD.
I'm on a Late 2009 i7 iMac with a 2TB HD and a Samsung 830 256GB SSD.
I created my FD on 10.8.2 using the terminal, and everything seems to work fine (or is it?). I have a full Superduper backup, so the question is if it's worth giving the method mentioned in the link below a try?
He states that only the full 10.8.3 installer will give you the necessary software to create and run a "real" FS. (I've upgraded to 10.8.3, but that shouldn't make a difference)
Any opinions?

http://blog.macsales.com/17624-os-x...tup-option-for-non-fusion-drive-equipped-macs

There have been several discussions on here regarding the accuracy of that particular blog post. I am a big fan of OWC and enjoy their technical information articles and videos, but I have seen other links from last fall which demonstrated with extensive testing that the Fusion drive was, in fact, moving the data blocks around as anticipated with the standard released version of OS X 10.8.2 & .3 at that time.

The included "Disk Utility" app in the 10.8.3 App Store release did not attempt to repair a Fusion compatible system (SSD and HD) as did the slightly newer build "shipped" version that came with the Mini and later the iMac with factory Fusion drives. However, that seemed to be a function of the App itself, not the underlying corestorage commands available from Terminal (which the DU App would use to repair the oem Fusion).

I felt I could tell the difference when loading something which was on the hard disk as opposed to resident on the SSD. After using the DIY Fusion systems for awhile, it seemed to me that my actively used programs and data did not seem to have any access lag, where first-time access had a slight delay. I always built my DIY Fusion drives with a larger SSD than Apple shipped in their products, so most of my day-to-day usage was hopefully on the SSD full time.

mogens

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Thanks. I'll give it a try. No big deal to do a migration from my Superduper clone.
Do I have to split/erase etc. my old DIY fusion drive before creating the new one from the USB stick, or can I just jump to the terminal and start creating the new FS drive following the instructions?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Thanks. I'll give it a try. No big deal to do a migration from my Superduper clone.
Do I have to split/erase etc. my old DIY fusion drive before creating the new one from the USB stick, or can I just jump to the terminal and start creating the new FS drive following the instructions?

Well ... if you want to do it totally per their instructions, I would start from scratch to be sure:

You will have to go into terminal and split the current Fusion drive (2 terminal commands) which will revert back to 2 separate, formatted drives ... then re-build the Fusion drive just as you did the first time.

mogens

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Well ... if you want to do it totally per their instructions, I would start from scratch to be sure:

You will have to go into terminal and split the current Fusion drive (2 terminal commands) which will revert back to 2 separate, formatted drives ... then re-build the Fusion drive just as you did the first time.

Now I've split and recreated a Fusion Drive from a fresh copy of the 10.8.3 ML installer and installed a fresh copy of ML 10.8.3.
I still get 2 identical HDs to boot from when I start with the alt key like before (a lot of reports about this). Everything works fine (like before)
Going to do a migration tonight, hopefully I can do a compare/test when the migration has finished tomorrow morning.
Can't figure out why 2 HDs show up? Maybe it has something to do with apples special firmware, they use in their SSDs?
I'm on a late 27" 2009 iMac.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Now I've split and recreated a Fusion Drive from a fresh copy of the 10.8.3 ML installer and installed a fresh copy of ML 10.8.3.
I still get 2 identical HDs to boot from when I start with the alt key like before (a lot of reports about this). Everything works fine (like before)
Going to do a migration tonight, hopefully I can do a compare/test when the migration has finished tomorrow morning.
Can't figure out why 2 HDs show up? Maybe it has something to do with apples special firmware, they use in their SSDs?
I'm on a late 27" 2009 iMac.

I also have 2 drive icons at the "alt key" startup and selecting either one will boot the computer normally. You should only see a single Fusion drive when in OS X, including in the Preferences/StartUpDisk menu.

Sounds like your installation is working normally ... :)

-howard

mogens

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
I also have 2 drive icons at the "alt key" startup and selecting either one will boot the computer normally. You should only see a single Fusion drive when in OS X, including in the Preferences/StartUpDisk menu.

Sounds like your installation is working normally ... :)

-howard

Startup time is about the same, but my Blackmagic disk test results are now much better (could be the fresh install or the migration). To be honest, the overall difference is hard to tell/feel. My advice: don't bother until there's 100% proof that this 10.8.3 trick works

csbremen

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
Bumping this ^

Hey there,
just registered to share my solution. I also had a lot of trouble setting up a Fusion Drive on my MacBookPro 8,2 (15", i7 2Ghz). It has Sata6 on the main bay and Sata3 in the optical bay. In the main bay is a Samsung 840 250GB, in the optical a Seagate Momentus XT 750 (Sata3).
Now it's working since about a day - I'm still evaluating…
I tried the usual HowTos, but they always failed at the "createVolume" command. That even happened when I tested with an old Sata1 drive in the optical bay.
Just for fun, I tried creating a Fusion Drive only with the SSD. That worked flawlessly. In a second step I added testing-partition from the HDD to the logical volume group, then resized the logical volume accordingly. (see http://blog.fosketts.net/2011/08/05/undocumented-corestorage-commands/ for the commands. That resulted in a bootable Fusion Drive. So I repeated the process with my entire data-partition (to save the recovery partition from being erased), backed up from time-machine and am up and running.
Right now I'm not really sure if this really works as a FD. bootup-times and program launches are really fast, they're definitely coming from the SSD. But testing with Blackmagic or iostat goes straight to the HDD with 90-100MB/s. Also there isn't a lot of disk activity (no pormoting/demoting as far as I can tell… Maybe someone knows more?
Cheers!

jonesmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2007
Well what do you know

csbremen you are a lifesaver.

I read your post and like you had an issue every time I tried to create the volume, but hadn't considered splitting the SSD and trying to create a LVG from that! Once the LVG was created with the two SSD partitions, i was able to add the other drive in immediately. I have an early 2011 mbp (8,2) as well and no one seemed to have an answer for getting the fusion setup to work that helped me.

This seems to have worked and I am in the middle of a 8 hour time machine restore that will hopefully confirm it.

Once I know it works, I will post detailed instructions so others can benefit. I have some other threads through google searches that are stumped as well so this could be really helpful to a lot of people.

Nice work!

csbremen

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
hey jonesmac,
I'm sorry I didn't write this earlier. I think the method I described above does in fact not create a FusionDrive. It does create a logical volume. And the first files go to the ssd. Once that's filled up it will only use the hdd. At least that's what seemed to me. The machine did boot up at ssd speed, but drive performance tests showed only hdd speeds.
So I ditched the setup and went the "system and apps on one and user files on the other drive" way…
cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.