Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
This is certainly disappointing. I used this all the time for Birthdays and Holidays. The card quality was fantastic and the ability to add pictures made them very special. Looks like they will all be getting candles again.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
This is one of the things I detest about Apple, and Google & friends. They create things like this and then discontinue them. In this particular case perhaps it is not such a big deal but when they discontinued support for PPC, Rosetta, MacOSClassic they destroyed a lot of really good software for education, small business, etc.

Detest is a strong word.

All things must pass. Let it go.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Who wants to bet that the last card sent using the service was one from Jonny Ive to Scott Forstall simply saying:

Mwahahahahaha!

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
This is one of the things I detest about Apple, and Google & friends. They create things like this and then discontinue them. In this particular case perhaps it is not such a big deal but when they discontinued support for PPC, Rosetta, MacOSClassic they destroyed a lot of really good software for education, small business, etc.

Is it "really good software" if nobody can be bothered to update for FIVE YEARS that Apple took to drop those supports? If it was do great they should have put it under Open Source license so users could fix it themselves. It may have been great, but it was only important to the people that OWNED IT as their next paycheck.

----------

Bought cards twice, used the actual app once.

Both times the card were very high quality, sad to see the cards feature go, hope they still continue to do calendars.

I wasn't impressed with Apple's Cards at all. They looked like laser printing on matte paper... Ie not much better than my stock at home. For $3 not worth using to send a photo you'd expect somebody to keep. I found the "postcard" apps used much better stock. I have cards from "Postcards on the Run" on my desk right now from two years ago that still look glossy and have better color than the Apple cards when delivered and the ink was still drying.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Most people in this topic are not reading correctly.

"You can still order beautiful letterpress cards customized with your photos and text using iPhoto on your Mac."
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4990?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

The Apple cards service is NOT being discontinued. The iOS app for it is being removed, that's all. If you want an Apple card, go make it on iPhoto for OS X.

This is also proved here.
http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/
iHD2XHL.jpg

I don't understand why they removed the iOS app. A lot of people would like to make cards and don't own a Mac. Well maybe there is not enough using the iOS app, I don't know.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I created a couple of cards in the app, and I thought it was nice!

I just never purchased anything or sent any cards. :p It was neat for a week.

Won't really be missed.

iSmoke

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL.
Feedback

i really liked this app. saved me a lot of time. and it's very convenient.

if you feel that Apple made a mistake discontinuing this service, send a feedback. i did.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/cards.html

----------

Awesome. Ink Cards looks great. Thanks for the alternative.

yea. but sending cards outside the country, like to be specific, Australia, where my cousins live, would take 3 weeks to get the cards delivered. unlike with Cards it would only take roughly a week.

Last edited:

iSmoke

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL.
They didn't really drop the service, as I've now realized with the article update, you can just make them with iPhoto. I'll miss the push notifications though.

My guess is since iPhoto for iOS is now free (for new iOS devices anyway) the next major update will include cards support. Maybe.

actually, with the iPhoto, you can only send the card to yourself. and not to the person you wanna send it to. sucks. i'm gonna try ink for the meantime until Apple realized people loved the app they discontinued.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
actually, with the iPhoto, you can only send the card to yourself. and not to the person you wanna send it to. sucks. i'm gonna try ink for the meantime until Apple realized people loved the app they discontinued.

Are you serious? What is the point of that? Can't you just make the shipping address different than the billing?

Oh well. At least there are some nice alternatives available.

iSmoke

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL.
Are you serious? What is the point of that? Can't you just make the shipping address different than the billing?

Oh well. At least there are some nice alternatives available.

yes. i tried it. it wouldn't ask you for the recipient's address. iPhoto as an alternative is pointless. you ordered a card from iPhoto, paid for the shipping to have it shipped to you, and now you have to pay for shipping to have it sent to the recipient once you receive the card. the turn around time and the amount of money spent is just... it's too far to be called "alternative".

Last edited:

Webduo

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Too bad...

That's really too bad - I actually used this service quite a bit. The advantage it had over the iPhoto option is that the postage and mailing was all done through Apple. This is one I'm sad to see go.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I used the iOS Cards app as well, and hope that it is eventually brought back. It was great for creating cards while on-the-go.

Meantime, I'll continue to use the service through iPhoto.

jtyen123

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
Great Alternative: Ink Cards

I found about the Ink Cards app a year ago and love it! Great for birthdays, and just to drop a hello to family. Uses Facebook/Instagram photos as well as iPhone photos, and I especially love the photo filters they just added. Best part is, cards are only $1.99 to the US and $2.99 anywhere else!

Genuis

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
I am terribly disappointed to see this app go away. I got thank you's for my thank you's. I would tell potential apple users about it as a reason alone to get an iPhone. It was unique and cool and I'm sure someone else will run with it and I'm sure apple will regret dropping it from their store. Bad decision by apple.

betacall

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
This Changes Everything

Guys, Apple's closure of their "Card" App coincides with the launch of an extraordinary company called Acavano, that I heard spent nearly a decade building their technology, content and thinking through the model to be a game changer to Hallmark and American Greetings in store purchases. It kind of reminds me of Amazon first with Books and Netflix with DVD by mail convenience and price. $1.49 for a Real Card mailed automated, fully personalized, without having to remember a birthday or any occasion, or to browse, fill out and mail a card each time.

Even freakier, their home page sports an entertaining video about all the ways to buy cards, like bricks and mortar, online store and even cards app and predicts it's failure. Really could be the game changer we've all been waiting for.
http://www.acavano.com

willyman

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
Card2You

Well, I used this all the time, and the cards were always gorgeous.

Can anyone recommend a similar service?

Card2You is much better and less expensive than Cards - Option to send greeting cards OR Postcards - Prints your profile on the back of cards and order history let's yoiu know when delivered -
Many more features - LOVE this app!

----------

I used Cards several times. It was perfect for birthday cards. Especially since I keep my whole photo library on my iPhone. A quick photo edit in Snapseed or Camera+ and then add to Cards. I appreciated the push notification that the card had been delivered.
Luckily I have a few days before my wife's birthday to get a card from the store.

Try Card2You - Higher quality - Lower cost - more features

betacall

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
So You Love Sending Cards?

not everyone is you. we loved sending cards with for the holidays and from vacations.

If you loved sending cards...check this out. http://www.acavano.com rumored the company was a decade in planning, building and bringing to market. Supposedly will resemble what Netflix did to Blockbuster or Amzn to book stores.

I think Hallmark and American Greetings better look out...this blew me away!

----------

not everyone is you. we loved sending cards with for the holidays and from vacations.

This is certainly disappointing. I used this all the time for Birthdays and Holidays. The card quality was fantastic and the ability to add pictures made them very special. Looks like they will all be getting candles again.

Don't be dissapointed...check this out. http://www.acavano.com rumored the company was a decade in planning, building and bringing to market. Supposedly will resemble what Netflix did to Blockbuster or Amzn to book stores. May be no coincidence Apple decided to pull the plug on Cards at same time as Acavano launched.

----------

It was useless anyway.

Check this out. http://www.acavano.com rumored the company was a decade in planning, building and bringing to market. Supposedly will resemble what Netflix did to Blockbuster or Amzn to book stores. May be no coincidence Apple decided to pull the plug on Cards at same time as Acavano launched.

----------

I did. I had pleasant results from people that I sent cards to anyway.

Oh well, bye bye Cards :(

Don't be dissappointed...check this out. http://www.acavano.com rumored the company was a decade in planning, building and bringing to market. Supposedly will resemble what Netflix did to Blockbuster or Amzn to book stores. May be no coincidence Apple decided to pull the plug on Cards at same time as Acavano launched.

----------

Well, I used this all the time, and the cards were always gorgeous.

Can anyone recommend a similar service?

Don't be dissappointed...check this out. http://www.acavano.com rumored the company was a decade in planning, building and bringing to market. Supposedly will resemble what Netflix did to Blockbuster or Amzn to book stores. May be no coincidence Apple decided to pull the plug on Cards at same time as Acavano launched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.