Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

appletv.png
Apple is planning to release updated Apple TV hardware next month, according to the well-connected MG Siegler. The TechCrunch writer tweeted earlier today:

I guess those excited about a software refresh in a week are gonna be *really* excited when new Apple TV hardware is unveiled next month. - MG Siegler (@parislemon) September 11, 2013
The Apple TV box is well overdue for a update, having gone 553 days since a major release, though the Apple TV box was given a stealth update earlier this year that did not affect any functionality.

The Apple TV will receive a software update alongside iOS 7 next week that will allow users to play their purchased iTunes content on Apple TV's that are owned by others.

Mark Gurman is reporting separately that Apple has been testing Xbox Kinect-like motion control for televisions, though he says it is unclear when if this will make its way to the Apple TV set-top box or is being held for a standalone Apple television set.

Mysterious shipment records indicating 'set-top box' shipments were spotted earlier this month that could be a new Apple TV box. Apple is planning to unveil the next versions of the iPad and iPad mini in October, so this would be a likely time for an Apple TV update as well.

Article Link: Apple Could Be Planning to Release Updated Apple TV Box Next Month

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
This will probably be a new colour of AppleTV....Maybe they should do a black and white one.

Last edited by a moderator:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Nice! All these fact-based stories have been boring. Let's have some rampant analyst claims!

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and more... just in time for Holiday shopping.

Well done

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I still don't believe it. We probably would have seen something by now unless they kept the design the same.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
It's been said many times, but opening this box up to game development would be a great move.

Shane1905

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
UK
I've said it before and i'll say it again, I think all the blatant leaks about the iPhone's was misdirection from something else they're up too... Time will tell.

JRomero

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2006
I really hope it's not just a spec bump of the same Apple TV that they've been shipping for the past three years. They need to open it up to developers with an SDK.

BreuerEditor

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
New Jersey
I'm praying for a spec bump, Amazon Prime, Vudu (not necessary), and DEFINITELY a USB port so we can plug in an external drive with movies/pictures.

:apple:PLEASE!!!!!:apple:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
could be for next month event ? where apple could introduce :
- the new ipad
- updated ipod touch
- this new apple tv
- updated haswell mbp
- maverick launch

i'm hopeful :D

themoffster

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
It can't go smaller
They won't do inboard storage
It already plays 1080

Unless its something motion sending it will just be a faster chip and same old

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Apple has a lot to update this fall still...wondering if it all will be at an event, or some silent upgrades:

(1) iPad 5
(2) iPad Mini
(3) Apple TV
(4) iWork for all devices
(5) Mavericks
(6) MacBook Pro
(7) iMac
(8) Mac Pro
(9) Mac Mini
(10) Apple Display
(11) Final Cut Pro

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I'm praying for a spec bump, Amazon Prime, Vudu (not necessary), and DEFINITELY a USB port so we can plug in an external drive with movies/pictures.

:apple:PLEASE!!!!!:apple:

I would welcome all 3 of the above...

But I think your prayers will go unanswered.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
This will probably be a new colour of AppleTV....Maybe they should do a black and white one.

Like a panda or orca you mean? :p

Actually, I'd much prefer an ATV in a nice Alu enclosure like a miniature Mac Mini. The black plastic is a dust magnet.

Last edited by a moderator:

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Save your energy, USB port won't happen.

Well, there IS a micro USB port on it, listed as "Micro-USB (for service and support)" on their website. Whether or not they enable it for use for external storage, etc is another story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.