Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
CDMA allows any device that receives the carriers frequency to be on the network (The carrier has the ability to block or allow phones from connecting to it's network). Verizon and Sprint use the same technology (well besides LTE) but won't allow non-branded devices on their networks for $$ issues.

They want you to buy the device from them.

Carriers need to cut the shi*

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Consolidating....

the ATT and Verizon models in one can reduce costs and enabling the new iPhone to support the China LTE band (on selected carriers) are good financial and comercial moves. Well done Apple.....!......:D

Hand of Tim in this.....:rolleyes:

:):apple:

twotwo11

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
No - as long as Verizon continues to use CDMA for calls this will be a limit.

Verizon has some SVDO phones, like the galaxy s3. Every LTE phone on Verizon can use LTE for data and 3G for calls except the iPhone.

Morris

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2006
London, Europe
So, as far as I know O2 in the UK operates on an 800mHz LTE band. I read this and understood it to be band 8. Is this not the case?

Am I going to be switching providers come the 20th?

The EU has coordinated the 800 MHz (band 20) to be the pan-European frequency designated for LTE across all EU members. Other bands can be used (and already are) in addition but this is the one that manufacturers can be certain to work in all states.

That is why operators in the UK such as O2, Vodafone, Three and EE have started (or are planning to) using that band for LTE. It is also why phone manufacturers are now making sure that any model destined for Europe supports 800 MHz in addition to some other bands.

You can see that iPhone models A1507 (iPhone 5c) and A1457 (iPhone 5s) are aimed at European customers, they work on all European networks. This list will get updated with more operators in the next months as the models go on sale in various European countries.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Verizon has some SVDO phones, like the galaxy s3. Every LTE phone on Verizon can use LTE for data and 3G for calls except the iPhone.

Apple doesn't like using more then one radio at a time. It's why the AT&T model drops to 3G data for calls.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
This site is stating that the "unlocked" iphone will only work on ATT or Tmobile, not Verizon.

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/10/unlocked-prices-for-iphone-5c-start-at-549-iphone-5s-at-649/

Yeah, that's how it has always been. The unlocked model is meant for GSM only.

My question was: Since the Tmobile/ATT/Verizon iphone 5 are the same model, does this mean that the they will all come unlocked? Or is it only the verizon ones that will come unlocked?

----------

Pretty much, yes. This was the whole C Block that Google bid on that VZW out bid them just to make it an "open" network. The VZW i5 on/off contract came unlocked knowing that it would only work on ATT and Tmo 3G network.

This is pretty damn good news. I have a Tmo SIM and will be able to pop it in and out as needed. Certain areas like my home suck with VZW's LTE service but Tmo's is awesome considering they have a tower almost in my back yard. I can forward my VZW calls to my Tmo number. The only issue will be dialing out as it will register the Tmo number unless there's a way to update the number.

This is making the VZW "version" of i5S more and more appealing for VZW users especially when traveling overseas.

I think I was confusing myself yesterday. I read that the ATT/Verizon/Tmobile iphones are the same model and assumed that this meant that that iphone 5s will not come unlocked for verizon. I neglected the fact that the Sprint and Verizon iPhone 5 are the same model and the sprint one is not unlocked and verizon is. My mistake.

So nothing should change. Verizon iPhone 5s/5c models should still be unlocked and these should work on LTE now on AT&T and Tmobile as well.

thekingofnerds

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
No - as long as Verizon continues to use CDMA for calls this will be a limit.

As has been said, this is not a limit of verizon, but is rather a limit of the iPhone. My razr maxx has no problem talking and surfing at the same time on 4g.

gopnick

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Can anyone confirm that the new VZW version of the iPhone will support simultaneous LTE data and CDMA calling? As has been made clear previously, the iPhone is the only Verizon smartphone that can't do this, due to Apple's design - they didn't want two radios at the same time. Perhaps this new band tweaking will fix that.

It's the only thing keeping me on AT&T right now.

i5pro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
NNJ
I think we have to wait until someone actually gets a VZ phone and trys it out...or takes it apart and finds another antenna/radio

WakeUpDrunk

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2012
The real Question:

Can we talk and surf with Verizon or not?

I was not planning to upgrade, but if someone can confirm then I will upgrade to 5S from 5.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
The real Question:

Can we talk and surf with Verizon or not?

I was not planning to upgrade, but if someone can confirm then I will upgrade to 5S from 5.

Well, you can always upgrade and if it doesn't pan out to what you need or like, you can return to VZW within 14 days and keep your upgrade.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Anybody know what band T-Mobile's LTE Advanced will be on? It's different from the exiting T-Mobile LTE and 4G, and launching later this year. Will the 5S support it?

I always thought T-Mobile's upgrade path was letting LTE take-over AWS and slowly moving the HSPA+ that's there to 1900 as it sunsets GSM.

3MacTim

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2007
So say you don't care about voice or text. Could you still swap in a Verizon SIM and get LTE data in an unlocked GSM 5S?

Rayd5365

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
As has been said, this is not a limit of verizon, but is rather a limit of the iPhone. My razr maxx has no problem talking and surfing at the same time on 4g.

Well, it depends who you want to blame. It most certainly is a limit of Verizon(CMDA), but other phones have done things to work around the limitation and Apple -to date- has not.

As I understand it, the only way to have a CDMA(Verizon) voice call and and an LTE data session at the same time is to power up two radios simultaneously, which some other phones, like the razr maxx, do. This impacts battery life and requires other engineering compromises, which Apple has so far been unwilling to make.
So, is it the fault of Verizon's CDMA network? Yes absolutely it is. If Verizon were to change to GSM, or were to enable voice over LTE, then the iPhone 5 and earlier iPhones could do both at the same time.
This problem does not exist with AT&T on an iPhone because TDMA/GSM can have a phone and data channel open at the same time on the same radio/session.
CDMA also creates other wonkiness with how call waiting/conference calls work as well, issues which do not occur with TDMA/GSM.

Is it also Apple's fault? Well yes, sort of, other phones can do it. Apple could design around the limitation by powering two radios at once, one for CDMA voice and one for data. In the past, they have said that it required engineering & design compromises that that are unwilling to make.

My guess is that at this point Apple is no more likely to engineer a kludge for this CDMA limitation than they are to support Adobe Flash.

I would love to be wrong on this, maybe Apple has given in, or maybe Verizon is getting it's act together on Voice over LTE.
Anyone know for sure?

Last edited:

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
It's actually not really clear at all since the bands are all the same. On the iPhone 5 chart it was simple the bands were different.

What do you mean? The chart clearly shows the AT&T version doesn't have band 7 which is used on European carriers.

bjamin82

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
What do you mean? The chart clearly shows the AT&T version doesn't have band 7 which is used on European carriers.

EE uses 1800 band 3... And the fine print says it could work but no guarantee so I was popping the question to the group... It's okay if you don't know

zero7

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2008
the list that apple is providing is very confusing and leaves so many questions unanswered!
best example: look at the 3rd (Europe) and 4th (Asia/Pacific) iPhone 5s options:

A1457 has bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20
A1530 has bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 38, 39, 40

why don't they just sell A1530 in both regions?

There must be some other difference between the models. Maybe manufacturing the antenna design with more bands is more complicated and expensive (though I really doubt that), or maybe they want to limit specific Phones to specific geographical regions either to stop skalpers from buying iPhones for regions where they are more expensive or to simply make you buy a new phone when you move to a new country if it's in a different geographical region (to generate sales?)

I guess we will have to wait for users to actually try out putting a sim into the "wrong" iPhone model and test the LTE speeds

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
the list that apple is providing is very confusing and leaves so many questions unanswered!

--

why don't they just sell A1530 in both regions?

There must be some other difference between the models. Maybe manufacturing the antenna design with more bands is more complicated and expensive (though I really doubt that), or maybe they want to limit specific Phones to specific geographical regions either to stop skalpers from buying iPhones for regions where they are more expensive or to simply make you buy a new phone when you move to a new country if it's in a different geographical region (to generate sales?)

I guess we will have to wait for users to actually try out putting a sim into the "wrong" iPhone model and test the LTE speeds

It looks like in the U.S., most of Europe, and almost everywhere else, there is at least one carrier (sometimes more) that support LTE bands 3 or 7. So, it looks like all the GSM-only phones could be used almost anywhere if you are willing to switch carriers, since they all support bands 3 and 7? Is this true?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

The press is making much of China because China Mobile uses TDD rather than FDD. However, in most regions there seems to be at least one carrier that uses TDD, and, Apple doesn't sell anything different for those regions, so, I have to assume that all of these phones already support both TDD as well as FDD.
However, China Mobile uses LTE bands 38, 39, and 40, and, not every phone supports those bands. In this case, only the A1529/A1530 seem to support those bands.

So, the modified question is where will the A1529/A1530 not work? They do support bands 3 and 7.

Edit: Apparently the issue with China Mobile is a proprietary version of 3G that they use:

Apple badly needs China Mobile's more than 700 million subscribers to become a serious player in the world's fastest -rowing smartphone market. A deal between Apple and China Mobile has been percolating through a series of negotiations for almost a year.

It's not immediately clear whether Apple's new iPhone 5c, if carried by China Mobile, will support China Mobile's proprietary TD-SCDMA and its upcoming TD-LTE networks.

China Mobile has had limited success with its own TD-SCDMA 3G technology, lagging behind rival China Unicom and China Telecom in 3G network penetration, 3G network subscribers and market share. The blame goes to TD-SCDMA's incompatibility with other 3G networks in China, as well as the constrained TD-SCDMA network coverage offered by China Mobile.

If Apple's iPhone 5c immediately supports China Mobile's emerging TD-LTE, along with TD-SCDMA, this might look like overkill for the moment. But China Mobile is pushing LTE hard. It would be a major Apple blunder if the iPhone 5c isn't ready for TD-LTE.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1319456

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Can anyone confirm that the new VZW version of the iPhone will support simultaneous LTE data and CDMA calling? As has been made clear previously, the iPhone is the only Verizon smartphone that can't do this, due to Apple's design - they didn't want two radios at the same time. Perhaps this new band tweaking will fix that.

I just went and looked up the SAR reports at the FCC. Not only did they not list CDMA and LTE (SVLTE) as a test combination, they actually wrote a letter about it (E2642A is the CDMA version):

iphone_5sc_svlte.png

As I understand it, the only way to have a CDMA(Verizon) voice call and and an LTE data session at the same time is to power up two radios simultaneously, which some other phones, like the razr maxx, do. This impacts battery life and requires other engineering compromises, which Apple has so far been unwilling to make.

They probably don't have room for another antenna, especially on the aluminum backed iPhone 5. Right now, the only all metal phone using its own case back as antennas is the HTC One.

This problem does not exist with AT&T on an iPhone because TDMA/GSM can have a phone and data channel open at the same time on the same radio/session.

Unlike Verizon, AT&T cannot do voice and LTE at the same time.

Currently, GSM phones drop back to UMTS-3G when you want to use voice and data simultaneously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.