Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I tried finding the Nest locally at Lowes and decided to just bite the bullet and order from Apple. I had been following the product since it was announced. I have a programmable thermostat and still finding myself turning it down a tad when I get home then back up. I ordered the Nest from the apple store at 9pm last night and at 8am it was out for delivery. How is that for service (ordered standard overnight). I was thinking it would be here friday but it shipped from the TN hub and made it out for delivery only 12 hours after placing the order ;)

----------

Yup. I spoke with a rep on the phone who talked be through the wiring on my thermostat. They don't support Y2, Y3, W2, W3, etc.

Is 2 stage cooling / heating different than emergency heating (using heat strips)? I just read this message after ordering one. I don't think (from what I read) that I have a 2 stage cooling unit. It is either on or off, no low cool. I do have the option of turning on heater elements if it is really cold outside if the heat pump cant keep up.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Is 2 stage cooling / heating different than emergency heating (using heat strips)? I just read this message after ordering one. I don't think (from what I read) that I have a 2 stage cooling unit. It is either on or off, no low cool. I do have the option of turning on heater elements if it is really cold outside if the heat pump cant keep up.

Doesn't seem to be a two-stage unit, but the heat pump may be an issue (I don't have a heat pump but the Nest rep said it was good that I didn't).

Check your wiring. Remove your thermostat cover, and compare it to Nest's info on their site. If you have a Y2 or W2 wire, it isn't compatible (yet).

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
I think a lot of people who have posted here aren't really grasping the concept the way I am. I see it as a hand-off, out-of-mind system. Like potty training a puppy. You work with it for a few weeks, and eventually it can do it on its own.

I guess a lot of people here are sufficiently tech savvy that if they want a programmable thermostat (energy savings or whatever) they are able to go through the programming steps pretty easily. No, honeywell etc. aren't as user-friendly, but it took me about 10 minutes to program my new one 5 years ago, and I've adjusted it a couple times since then because of new sleeping/waking/home/away patterns. But it's just not that difficult.

Meanwhile, the Nest is designed for ease of use--but the problem is that people who can't program a programmable thermostat probably aren't going to run out and buy a $250 apple-like 'stat because they can also program it on their iPhone.

I think it's an interesting product, but with lots of limitations so not worth the $250 plus install it would cost me.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I've never understood why all thermostats offer programmability when it's such a pointless feature. What would be infinitely more useful is also exceedingly simpler: min and max. Does this thermostat have that feature?

e.g. I want to put in just two numbers. 68f and 76f. If the temperature in the house is ever below 68f, I want it to be heated up to 68f. If the house is ever above 76f, I want it cooled down to 76f. Obviously, no action needed while temp is between 68f and 76f.

What's annoying is having to manually toggle a thermostat between cool and heat and having to adjust the target temp accordingly. Or I can set it to auto but then it only takes one number. For budget (and comfort) concerns, I don't want to pick a number in between 68f and 76f that solves for both heating and cooling; there is no perfect number.

The Nest does exactly what you're asking for. It's called "Range".

It will also automatically set your range to a larger gap (say 60F and 86F) when it detects you are out of the house.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
The vast majority of programmable thermostats are either not programmed correctly or are being simply used as on off controls without the programming set at all.

On a programmable thermostat you still have to remember to turn the temperature up or down on a weekend when you may not be home in order to save money. Otherwise the thermostat is wasting energy when you're not there.

The Nest thermostat saves money on the weekends when it detects no one around and goes to the away temperature.

Because of the way the nest thermostat shows my energy usage I found out during the winter the temperature never reached the away temperature because my condo was being heated by the other condos in the building. That alone save me a bunch of money.:D

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Doesn't seem to be a two-stage unit, but the heat pump may be an issue (I don't have a heat pump but the Nest rep said it was good that I didn't).

Check your wiring. Remove your thermostat cover, and compare it to Nest's info on their site. If you have a Y2 or W2 wire, it isn't compatible (yet).

The Nest works with 2 stage heat. Just not 3 stage heat or 2 stage cool.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Nice thermostat. But let's look ahead a few years. The "App-Enabled Accessories" page could evolve into Apple's home automation products showcase. Eventually, after Apple's HDTV solution is revealed, Apple could build their non-computing-device presence out from the living room to the rest of the house. The "Smart Home" could finally become a reality.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Nice thermostat. But let's look ahead a few years. The "App-Enabled Accessories" page could evolve into Apple's home automation products showcase. Eventually, after Apple's HDTV solution is revealed, Apple could build their non-computing-device presence out from the living room to the rest of the house. The "Smart Home" could finally become a reality.

Let's hope so. I think Home Automation/Smart Home stuff is horrendously overpriced. We need some innovation to happen where consumers become cognizant about resources.

rboy505

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2012
Am I the only one here who doesn't 'Get it'? In essence, its only useful feature is being able to set the thermostat remotely...everything else is fairly pointless...its a thermostat at the end of the day. Are we soon going to see iOS enabled toilet flushers?!

As nice as it looks, it just seems like its a bit of a gimmick for people to basically say 'I've got one and can blow $250 on something that looks fancy but performs such a mundane task'.

I'm with you. I have a thermostat that's timed for when we're all off to work or school and then on when we come home, if needed. Why do I need a device to "learn" my schedule? It was easy telling it! : )

The remote aspect is cool, but, eh.

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2006
The remote programming capability is actually just a minor benefit of the Nest, as far as I've been able to tell.

What really makes it beneficial is its "intelligent" capabilities. Unlike my $40 programmable thermostat at home now, I'm not stuck entering a series of temperatures for fixed times on a schedule -- one for "heat", and another whole set for "cool".

Rather, the Nest actually uses a built-in microphone to "hear" when everything is silent for a period of time -- indicating people aren't home, or everyone's sound asleep, and can use that information to decide it's time to save a little energy on heating or cooling.

Additionally, by people simply adjusting the current temp. up or down a bit, whenever they want to -- it learns patterns and programs its own rules based on them.

I don't know about you? But in my house, I find people are constantly pressing the temp up/down buttons on my thermostat to override the current programmed settings if they feel it's "too hot" or "too cold" -- making the fixed schedule less useful.

For all of those reasons, we've saved about $50 per month with our Nest since we got it. Should pay or itself within 6 months.

WishiwereinCO

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
Radiant Heat with a Fireplace

I am looking to install a NEST thermostat with a 6 zone radiant heat system. I would place the NEST in the most used zone. Additionally, in that zone there will be a large fireplace that I hope to heat my home with.

Anyone have an experience with such a set up?

mrrydogg

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
Bay Area
I've never understood why all thermostats offer programmability when it's such a pointless feature. What would be infinitely more useful is also exceedingly simpler: min and max. Does this thermostat have that feature?

e.g. I want to put in just two numbers. 68f and 76f. If the temperature in the house is ever below 68f, I want it to be heated up to 68f. If the house is ever above 76f, I want it cooled down to 76f. Obviously, no action needed while temp is between 68f and 76f.

What's annoying is having to manually toggle a thermostat between cool and heat and having to adjust the target temp accordingly. Or I can set it to auto but then it only takes one number. For budget (and comfort) concerns, I don't want to pick a number in between 68f and 76f that solves for both heating and cooling; there is no perfect number.

Yes, one of the coolest features (I think) is being able to set a "range". So I set my lowest temperature to like 65 and my highest to like 78 (examples). Nest will always keep my house within that range turning on the heat or air accordingly to do what's needed.

I've had mine for about 6 months now and love it.

----------

Am I the only one here who doesn't 'Get it'? In essence, its only useful feature is being able to set the thermostat remotely...everything else is fairly pointless...its a thermostat at the end of the day. Are we soon going to see iOS enabled toilet flushers?!

As nice as it looks, it just seems like its a bit of a gimmick for people to basically say 'I've got one and can blow $250 on something that looks fancy but performs such a mundane task'.

It has tons of useful features, it's a learning thermostat and will adjust based on how you interact with it. Tons of sensors, usage history, energy history, programming options, does things to help save your equipment. I don't think it's gimmicky, just some a new way to look at an old piece of equipment.

mrrydogg

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
Bay Area
The unique feature is the learning process. Has a built in sensor to tell if you are home or not. Automatically adjusts its settings based on that and the manual adjustments you make. Over time it auto programs to the ideal temp based on your unique patterns. All in a sleek and easy to use dial. Setup is also easy and made for those who can do simple DIY projects around the house.

Now what the thermostat is missing to be ideal is the ability to add remote sensors. Your thermostat might not be in the ideal spot for sensing motion and occupancy. Multiple sensors would get that info as well as multiple temp readings around the house to better adjust things.

Seems like that will definitely be something they will have to add in the future. Since more than one Nest can already "talk to each other", creating some remote sensors is a no brainer. I would LOVE this option!

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

What do you mean "Does it have this feature?"...Yes, every thermostat has it...Its called buy a $30 thermostat with no programming features and set the heat to 68 in the winter, and the AC to 76 in the summer. Done..Problem solved.

bitflung

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
At $250, I'll keep on using my Honeywell programmable thermostat. Since I installed it, it dropped my bill down from $150 to $105 in the winter. Don't have a use for it in the summer.

if you don't have A/C, and your heating schedule is very well setup, then Nest wouldn't save you anything.

At BEST Nest gets you exactly what you could do yourself with an old school mercury switch thermostat (assuming you're willing to go home and change the temp several times a day).

Here are the 5 real reasons why Nest is a great idea (I won't go into whether or not they implemented the idea successfully):

1. Programmed schedules aren't perfect: either we never set them up right in the first place (if at all), or our schedules change over time. The fact of the matter is that no single schedule is going to be perfect forever. How often do you re-program your thermostat?
-> Nest automatically learns a dynamic and constantly changing (hopefully improving) schedule over time as you use it.

2. Auto-away and other 'learning' results: The thermostat can figure out if you're not home, even if you typically would be (say on a weekend when your programmed thermostat is keeping the house warm or cool due to that imperfect static schedule that's set up). Learning time-to-temp and informing the user right on the dial also encourages educated self-restraint, hopefully training the user to keep energy costs low (like how hybrid cars give visual feedback with green and blue lights subtly informing the driver when they are wasting or conserving fuel).

3. Energy consumption data over time: seriously, this is great. From the device or online you get a history of energy use, along with annotations helping you figure out why certain days were less efficient. Cold night in the spring? You see that in your energy consumption, along with a note showing that it wasn't just your niece cranking the heat up for fun but a weather related anomaly. Currently it only shows on/off times (summary durations as well as full day view of on/off events), but that's more than ample to enable some back-of-the-envelope math to figure out how much fuel you burned (and therefore have to pay for) on a daily granularity. Really cold weather hit yesterday and you want to know what it cost you in real dollars for exactly that one day? 30 seconds of math and you're there. I'd expect a feature update to do this for us in the future, but that's just my opinion.

4. Online convenience: right, the online thing everyone touts as the only thing it does and a needless feature; i'll hit that one right now. Today it's mildly cold and pretty humid in my town. I'm about to head home from work, my nest says it's 55 degrees at my house, and having been away all day it's down to 65 in the house. I'd like it to warm up before I get home. I'm leaving work at an odd time though, so my programmed thermostat of old would have needlessly heated the house since about 5pm, but now i can just click 1 icon on my phone, then one option in the app, and boom - my nest now considers me 'home' and is heating up the house to whatever temp it has learned pleases me. What temp exactly? I don't know, i could look in the self-learned schedule, but i won't bother with that now; i'm just happy to know it'll be just right when i get home.

5. Ongoing updates: i speculated on a feature update earlier and that's a great part of this thermostat - it changes over time. Just a month ago they released an update with a new feature (AirWave) that runs the A/C more efficiently (turning off the compressor before the house reaches the target temp, but only if humidity in the house is low and only after it has learned how the house reacts to A/C and blower fan controls). What else might come? I don't know, but I have a wish list:
- Actual cost trackers for A/C and Heat
- Alarms to fire when you might go over budget on a particular time period
- Maybe use the AirWave concept on the heat too?
- I'd love to tie Nest to other programs, maybe automate the "i'm coming home" process via my cell phone?
- Remote sensors in the house, that would be huge
- Oh speaking of remote sensors, I'd love to have one on my wood burning stove so the nest can fire up the blower alone sometimes to help distribute the heat (i have a single return in my forced air system).

future updates are inevitable, but maybe none of the features i just described will ever come. maybe all of them will. the fact that it's possible is a huge difference between nest and other thermostats.

as for the cost, it's actually not that expensive - you just have to compare it to similar thermostats out there. i don't mean just functionally similar, but also aesthetically. they exist - there's a bit market for pretty household infrastructure and nest's competition is similarly priced. but even at similar prices, nest's features instantly best (if sometimes only marginally) any other thermostat i've been able to find.

that's why i bought one.

Last edited:

bitflung

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
You joined for this? Informative post but you gotta be a Nest shill.

yup, i joined for this. typically i just stalk the forums, but on this i had an opinion i felt like sharing.

shill? well that could be taken a few ways. from the literal, "An accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others" - no, i'm not a shill. I have no relationship with the company, they don't know i exist, and i don't really care whether anyone buys one or not.

from the perspective of a person who really likes the idea of this device and is something of a fanboy of the concept? sure, that describes me pretty well.

i don't really care about this particular implementation of this concept though, so i don't care about the company making it. i really like the concept.

i'm a computer engineer - i design microprocessors and peripherals for a living. typically, the peripherals i design are interfaces for connecting sensors - like temp, humidity, etc. i don't make the sensors (or know that much about them, really) but since i'm dealing with that stuff all the time, i'm always dreaming of the things i could build with them.

for a few years now, one of those dreams has been a very fancy thermostat - something much more feature rich than the nest. i've got the tools and knowledge to do it, just not the time. the feature list i laid out were just some of the features i have dreamed up for my own implementation.

the nest isn't perfect - but the concept implemented here is fantastic. when someone dismisses its features as worthless, i take it a little personally if only because i've been dreaming of these (and more) features for years. there are definite benefits to using something like this. doesn't have to be this particular one though.

i still plan to make my own, when i've got the time. it will likely cost me more money and be far bigger and fairly ugly, but it'll have significantly more features. some other features i'm looking forward to implementing for myself:
- fuel optimization: in a multi-fuel system i'd like my thermostat to favor burning the less expensive fuel. pellets, for example, over propane.
- fuel level awareness: but if i'm starting to run out of pellets, i might want the system to favor propane for a few days until i've found a new supplier able to ship another pallet of pellets to me.
- house fan: i'd like it to also be able to operate a house fan to suck the heat out of a house BEFORE starting the A/C. i'd want it to learn over time just how effective the fan is based on the external environment, humidity, etc so as to get the biggest bang for the buck - no use spinning that fan for 3 hours when 1 hour gets you 80% of the overall cooling effect.
- environmental awareness: if the humidity is high, but it's going to rain in 2 hours, then i don't need to run the dehumidifier right now, i can wait until after nature helps out a bit.
- control of ceiling fans: heat distribution can be helped by ceiling fans, but if i'm asleep or only guests are at the house (or i'm feeling lazy) i'd like the system to automatically determine that there is a large heat differential between various parts of he house and to fire up the ceiling fans when appropriate, and to turn them off again later.

the list goes on and on.
i doubt much if any of these will ever be in the nest; if some other company comes out with a more feature filled variant of this concept, i'll helpilly shell out $250 for their version. and i would still likely want to build my own so as to be able to add the rest of these features myself (and more as they come to me).

am i a shill? that really depends on what you meant by it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.