Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple announced at yesterday's media event that pre-orders for the iPhone 5c will begin on Friday, September 13, the company has not yet specified at what time it will begin taking orders. Information from U.S. carrier partners Verizon and Sprint indicates, however, that the pre-orders should go live at roughly midnight Pacific Time on Friday morning.

Given that Apple and its U.S. carrier partners typically begin pre-orders at the same time and the timing published by Verizon and Sprint is in line with that seen for the past several iPhone releases, it seems likely that the coordinated launch will once again take place at that time.

vz_iphone_5c_preorder.jpg
Verizon email sign-up

Verizon's pre-order information, available on the "Why Verizon?" tab of the carrier's iPhone 5s/5c feature page, allows potential customers to sign up for email updates on availability of the two new iPhones and states that pre-orders will be going live at 3:01 AM Eastern Time (12:01 AM Pacific Time) on September 13, but does not mention that those pre-orders are limited to the iPhone 5c models. Apple will not be offering pre-orders for the iPhone 5s ahead of its September 20 launch, and the company's carrier partners will undoubtedly be following Apple's lead.

sprint_iphone_5c_preorder.jpg
Sprint iPhone 5c information

Sprint has posted similar information on its website, announcing a 2:00 AM Central Time launch for iPhone 5c pre-orders, which corresponds to midnight Pacific Time.

Outside the United States, pre-orders for the iPhone 5c will also be going live on Friday for customers in the following countries: Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore and the UK. Apple's pre-order timing is likely to be the same for all countries, so customers should check their time zone conversions from Pacific Time. Local carriers may also have different pre-order start times in those countries.

(Thanks, Daniel!)

Article Link: iPhone 5c Pre-Orders to Begin at 12:01 AM Pacific Time on Friday, September 13

Last edited:

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I'm not so sure this is one you're going to need to pre-order. You could probably just show up to the store.

Maybe you live nowhere near an Apple store, nor a company owned cellular store?

Maybe you have to work (yes, I know people that work 12 hour shifts routinely)?

Maybe you don't want to deal with people in the store?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I don't see why carriers won't be able to do preorders for the 5S, Apple said nothing about preorders or touched the subject of it on the keynote for the 5S. They won't have them so that people will go to the :apple: store, this is all the evil plan of Cook to get more foot traffic into apple stores, but shouldn't affect carriers if they already have enough of the product. My guess it would cost less for a carrier for you to preorder online than have to pay staff to activate the 5S.

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
I called Verizon to check on something about my account a couple hours ago and told me that I could just preorder the 5S this friday instead of waiting in line next friday and I said to her "are you sure you aren't talking about the 5C" and she told me that yes, both the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5C are available for preorder this Friday the 13th

jamswirl

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
I don't see why carriers won't be able to do preorders for the 5S, Apple said nothing about preorders or touched the subject of it on the keynote for the 5S. They won't have them so that people will go to the :apple: store, this is all the evil plan of Cook to get more foot traffic into apple stores, but shouldn't affect carriers if they already have enough of the product. My guess it would cost less for a carrier for you to preorder online than have to pay staff to activate the 5S.

Yes, but going into the store probably means people are more likely to buy extras such as headphones or cases.

disclaimer: i have no idea if this is true, just a guess.

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
This is why they're only doing pre-orders for the 5C. They want to test the temperature of the market... (shiver) it's cold Apple!

Premium pricing and absurd pricing aren't necessarily the same thing.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Yes, but going into the store probably means people are more likely to buy extras such as headphones or cases.

disclaimer: i have no idea if this is true, just a guess.

maybe get some overpriced cases, but iPhones come w/ the pods for free ;) and you can also always order the same overpriced cases online w/ your phone.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I like the design of the 5C. Was considering the yellow model, with the black Apple logo, if the Richmond Tigers had won last Sunday's elimination finals game (their team colours). But sadly, they lost, so I'll leave it for this year (Aussie football reference there).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.