Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iacopo

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
So, to sum up. In the 41 months since the iPhone 4 was released, we have:

-- A faster CPU
-- Siri
-- A screen that's bigger by 0.5 inches in one dimension
-- A better camera
-- A fingerprint reader
-- More colors

And we are still paying 2010 prices for flash memory that costs less than a quarter of what it did. A 64 gig USB 3 stick is $30, 64 gig high speed SSD's are in the $60 range. upgrading the iPhone to 64 gig is still $200. Even though the OS and Apps have grown over time, the flash size is still the same.

I think the celebrations are well underway at google and samsung. Even Steve Ballmer has got to be laughing right now.

Yeah, and you paid 20.000 dollars for a car that still has 4 wheels an engine and a steering wheel like the ones made in the early 1900's while the price of steel, rubber and leather must have dramatically dropped!

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Another simplistic mis-fact. The 32-bit A6X has the same memory bandwidth as the A7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Ax#List_of_Apple_SoCs).

No, all the document said is that the bandwidth of the memory module is the same 17GB/s. But it does not tell us how these memory module are connect to the A7. You can two of these modules connect to the memory controller and on every clock cycle fetch two 4 bytes words, one from each module into A7's 64 bit registers. We simply don't know that by reading a 1 line description. Before I retired, I lead a team of 8 to 23 programmers (depending on the project) writing ROM codes to bring up communication modules and memory testing is one part of what the ROM code do.

The easiest way is to look at the performance measurement of 5S vs 5. Whether the performance improvement come from 64 bits or other processor/memory improvement is immaterial to the consumer. And as far as I can tell, Apple's claim seem to be valid.

Seiga

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Google's not making that much money off Android, their $12 billion purchase of Moto has give them more trouble than it is worth.

Samsung's about to get their ass kicked in EU for violating their obligations to FRAND and could lose tens of billions of dollars in fines soon as they're trying to settle and has killed all of their lawsuits against Apple there.

In the meantime, Apple keeps raking in more money than ever and the same is true for their developers.

What exactly are you hoping that Apple would do? They have never cared about what users want. They'll do what they think is the best and people keep buying them.

If you don't like what Apple is doing, then buy Android. Vote with your money.

Do you know why people get brainwashed by Apple? It's because of their marketing. They are geniuses when it comes to elegance and design. About 4 years ago, it was innovation, but not any more.

FACT: There is NOTHING wrong with Moto/Google. The acquisition brought about many things including Intellectual Property Rights and Patents to protect themselves from... guess who.... APPLE!!!!! And so far so good on that front. DOJ always has some issues with mergers and they had to put themselves in, but in the end this merger was needed.

So while Apple goes on an plays catch up and "Sue Android Manufacturers" game, Google will sit back and just continue to innovate.

Ok, Google Now!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Low budget phone at a premium price. Only Apple is stupid enough to try to pull that off. Good luck.

And people will be lining up to buy it.

----------

I already see all these angry posts from people who'll claim they cannot unlock their phones in cold weather, because the sensor doesn't read fingerprints through gloves :D

Maybe Apple will sell a special glove with a see thru cutout for your fingertip of choice? :D

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The easiest way is to look at the performance measurement of 5S vs 5. Whether the performance improvement come from 64 bits or other processor/memory improvement is immaterial to the consumer. And as far as I can tell, Apple's claim seem to be valid.

What is Apple's claim, anyway? Anything more than Schiller's label-less graph on unnamed benchmarks?

Attachments

• Schiller-processor-improvement-A7_610x334.jpg
    Schiller-processor-improvement-A7_610x334.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 66

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
What is Apple's claim, anyway? Anything more than Schiller's label-less graph on unnamed benchmarks?

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/10/apple-unveils-the-iphone-5s-its-most-forward-thinking-phone-yet/

The phone features a brand-new system-on-a-chip A7 processor, which makes it the world’s first and only smartphone with 64-bit architecture. This means that both iOS 7 and Apple’s apps have been reengineered for 64-bit, but older 32-bit apps will run fine as well. It’s over twice as fast as the iPhone 5, with graphics performance up to 56 times faster than the original iPhone.

Donald Mustard comment is even more interesting since I play Infinity blade 2 a lot on Ipad 3 since they have to reduce the graphic effect of IB 2 to make it fit on A5. So they have the type of software that can push the CPU and graphic system to the max.

http://www.cultofmac.com/244576/app...-blade-3-runs-five-times-faster-on-iphone-5s/

Apple brought Donald Mustard, co-founder of ChAIR entertainment, up on stage today at the iPhone keynote in Cupertino. Mustard talked about the incredible performance of the new 64-bit A7 chip, saying the new iPhone 5s was five times as fast as the original iPhone 5.
Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/244576/app...imes-faster-on-iphone-5s/#Kz0sbiso5yCWGiLb.99

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

I was actually hoping for something from apple.com ;)

And something that used a recognized multi-platform benchmark, due to Apple's shameless history of cherry-picking tasks that are irrelevant for most of its customers.

3D game performance isn't a CPU test.

My comments aren't debating the performance, but the earlier claim that doubling the width of the datapath doubles the performance. (Especially since the earlier poster was saying that "datapath" was the address width, and not the width of the paths for data in the chip.)

Faster memory, more registers, better compilers, and other architectural improvements could help make the Iphone 5 twice as fast as the Iphone 5.

Merely doubling the address width would not. It didn't make x64 twice as fast as x86, it didn't make the G5 twice as fast when 64-bit software came out....

Last edited:

sleepydinosaur

Suspended
Oct 31, 2009
I'm excited to hold each one, especially the 5c. When the rumors of the 5c started I dismissed it. But now I find myself drawn to it...and thats put me in a quandry. My iPhone *is my computer*. As a long time Mac buyer I know to always buy the absolute most powerful machine I can afford to extend its longevity from an OS upgradeability stand point.

But, since I'd be upgrading from a 4, pretty much anything is an upgrade from a processor stand point. :D:D

Still, the White 5s is quite sexy also...

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Low cost, Apple doesn't know what this means

Not really clever marketing ....

When I saw the words "low cost" and "iPhone 5C" in the same sentence, i thought it would be cheap.....

Cheap, yes, but on a contract..... That is hardly low cost... Like it was something marketed specifically for the purpose.

Any phone you get from your mobile carrier is also "low cost" as well since you pay a minimum initially.

Here in Australia, unless you buy from your mobile carrier, you have no choice, as Apple here, only sells the iPhone 5c unlocked, so its not "low cost" at all.. Furthermore, for $100 extra, you may as well be buying the 5S anyway.

What really bugs me, is not that the "low cost" factor, they started taking things out, BUT they left in the Retina display, low cost my food :p

Mable, its just me... but wasn't this targeted for those on a budget ?

While I understand Apple sells premium products, $100 is hardly saving not that much... I'd would have been happy with unlocked 5c for around $300, minus the Retina display, or maybe think up some other to get the price down.

wilfred2013

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
.... Even if a 64-bit CPU uses less than 4GB of RAM, it is still twice as fast..

This is just wrong.

I deal with enterprise class software (Oracle rdbms, C/C++ apps) and no 64 bit does not have any major impact on performance - unless you use much more than 4GB ram.
The handful of extra registers you get with 64 bit does not make a huge change.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
ooohhh.... look at that plastic :) :rolleyes:

Reminds me of that character in the "Beneath a steel sky" re-make on iOS :)

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
This is just wrong. I deal with enterprise class software (Oracle rdbms, C/C++ apps) and no 64 bit does not have any major impact on performance - unless you use much more than 4GB ram. The handful of extra registers you get with 64 bit does not make a huge change.
You don't get extra registers! The registers just need to be wider, because the datapath is wider. Are Oracle database systems even that cpu-intensive? I don't know! Most times the cpu is idle anyway. Only 3D games and video editing really demand performance.

Again, if you don't believe that the step from 32-bit to 64-bit computing is huge, go back to 16-bit computing.

megadrive-1.jpg

It was the most beautiful game back than. Incredible fast graphics.

sonic_1_screen.jpg

wilfred2013

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
You don't get extra registers! The registers just need to be wider, because the datapath is wider. Are Oracle database systems even that cpu-intensive? I don't know! Most times the cpu is idle anyway. Only 3D games and video editing really demand performance.

Again, if you don't believe that the step from 32-bit to 64-bit computing is huge, go back to 16-bit computing.

It was the most beautiful game back than. Incredible fast graphics.

You do get extra registers in 64 bit.

Yes Oracle needs CPU a lot. So much so, great performance is achieved by moving some processing to the storage layer. Read about exadata.
Of course it depends on the application. Try running 100 concurrent requests at the same time in E-Business suite R12.

64 bit allows large memory address space. That is vital.

A 2GB device does not need or will not benefit a lot from 64 bit.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
On the other hand, I really don't like how Apple is now apparently resorting to vaporware, leaking to reporters that "we will have a >4" screen in 2014."

Why would Apple leak this when it could impact 5C/5S sales? :confused:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
This is just wrong.

I deal with enterprise class software (Oracle rdbms, C/C++ apps) and no 64 bit does not have any major impact on performance - unless you use much more than 4GB ram.
The handful of extra registers you get with 64 bit does not make a huge change.

the math involved in a physics app or game is different than on oracle and other database servers where the 64 bit will help

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
design ..

You know those rings around the buttons on the new iPhone 5S ?

Apple could be stiring the pot... What about back-lit ? Very similar to how the Mac keyboard back-lit lights up in dim light, so can the 5S...

Would that interest anyone?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
the math involved in a physics app or game is different than on oracle and other database servers where the 64 bit will help

But x86 processors have 64-bit floating registers and 256-bit wide datapaths, so x86 and x64 will be equal (except for x64 having twice as many general purpose 64-bit float registers).

What do you mean?

Appleusergerman

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
No more denial

So in the past you said: "Oh it was not me who went to this or that website - someone else did it!"

No more! Now you got fingerprinted! Bet that this is valid as a proof in court.

Free People?

"the people have become sheep and I do not trust the shepherd"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.